Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 paper cutter not working  (Read 2991 times)

markdfink

Z3100 paper cutter not working
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:03:19 am »

Actually, it works fine from the printer panel, but I'm looking to print a bunch of images from a roll, and want to have each one cut automatically after it is printed. I've checked that the paper cutter setting is on for the paper type, but for some reason, it still doesn't cut. If I print more than one copy at a time, I end up with two or more images on a single long stretch of paper.

Hoping I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks,

Mark

namartinnz

Re: Z3100 paper cutter not working
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:07:57 pm »

It may be a setting of paper type where it refuses to cut, even with the option set to cut -  like canvas. What sort of paper are you using and what is your setting when you load it in?

markdfink

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

I'm using Breathing Color Vibrance Photo Matte, which cuts just fine when I manually initiate it. I just checked the paper setting in the Color Center, and the Cutter field is set to Yes. The paper category is Custom Paper, but I can't remember what I used to create it. Certainly nothing like canvas, which I know doesn't work.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »

Try powering it off from the switch and rebooting.  What are you using to drive it?

markdfink

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

First, thanks for the replies and suggestions. OK, I shut it down, then powered down the switch and unplugged it as well. Booted back up and have printed two images, and it isn't cutting in between the two. I'm using Lightroom 3.x to print in Win7 64bit. I double checked my paper settings, and nothing in there indicates that the paper cutter has been disabled. Looks like I'll have to use the "digital" method, namely the index digit of my right hand on the advance and cut button on the front of the printer. Still open to testing other ideas...

- Mark

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »

Try another paper preset, narrow it down to what is causing the difference.

markdfink

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:46 am »

Finally got a chance to try that last night, but even the new preset doesn't cut. However, now I'm getting a possible paper jam error 86:01 that has stopped me cold. Trying to figure THAT one out...

- Mark

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:34 pm »

I haven't had to replace my blade yet after 4.5 years of weekly use of the Z3100, but it is really easy to do. We really should all order a new blade and have it ready when we need it while they are available. I've never tried to cut canvas, and so that with electric scissors, but have cut a lot of thick rag paper for a long time and I still haven't had any signs of rough cutting yet.

j

markdfink

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:23:16 am »

It turns out it was the carriage belt that has gotten worn out and keeps slipping off the pulley at the far left end. I tore the printer apart and put it back on, but it slipped right off on reboot. So, I ordered a replacement with overnight shipping and will install it today. That at least will get me back up and printing again. Here is a great link if anyone needs to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56v6y0FDh4

- Mark

markdfink

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »

Well, I'm all grins and happiness now. I got the belt replaced and it is now printing. Even better, while trying to find the diagnostics menu, I came across a global setting to disable the cutter. That had been set to disable. I enabled it, and it is now cutting as it should! From the HP Utility, go to the Settings tab, and you'll see it there.

- Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up