Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qflash Trio for Canon  (Read 7273 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Qflash Trio for Canon
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »

Has anyone used the Qflash Trio for Canon? I recently bought the Turbo 3 battery for use with my Speedlite 580 EX II. I'm pleased with it and the recycle time, however, both Quantum and Canon caution on "overshooting" the 580 - that it would overheat and shut down. I've started using my Speedlite more and more as hi-speed fill, rather than an assistant with a reflector, trying to keep up with a model walking along, and I've been pleased with the results. However, I've noticed recycle slowing down as I shoot. That's the overheating kicking in, I think. The Qflash is supposed to be immune to this, by design, but wondered if it truly worked identically to the Canon -- i.e. the camera sees it as a Speedlite. Thanks for the comments.

Nemo

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Qflash Trio for Canon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

Have you called Quantum and asked?  They won't misrepresent and they're very helpful.

I have several of their T5dr's and just recently picked up a Pilot.  I love all my Quantum kit and it's a far higher quality light output than Canon speed lights and Quantum includes some functions Canon doesn't which I find useful.  And yes, you can shoot as fast as your camera can save the images and you won't overload a Quantum flash.

The price puts off people, but keep in mind Quantum can repair their gear and the prices aren't bad, and you can upgrade your old gear to the latest versions for a reasonable price.  Even their batteries can be rebuilt.  The gear seems pricey when you first buy it, but 10 years later it seems very reasonable.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:01:29 am »

Thanks for the comments. I spoke with the people at Quantum a while ago before purchasing the Turbo 3 battery pack -- very nice and straight forward. I was looking for info on whether functionality was essentially the same so I could use the Qflash not only with the hotshoe, or coiled extension cord, but also possibly on my Pocket Wizard TT5. I get mixed info on that. I think I may rent the Qflash Trio from Adorama for a shoot in January and try it for a week. At $645+, "it ain't cheap", so better try before buy.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »

Has anyone used the Qflash Trio for Canon? I recently bought the Turbo 3 battery for use with my Speedlite 580 EX II. I'm pleased with it and the recycle time, however, both Quantum and Canon caution on "overshooting" the 580 - that it would overheat and shut down. I've started using my Speedlite more and more as hi-speed fill, rather than an assistant with a reflector, trying to keep up with a model walking along, and I've been pleased with the results. However, I've noticed recycle slowing down as I shoot. That's the overheating kicking in, I think. The Qflash is supposed to be immune to this, by design, but wondered if it truly worked identically to the Canon -- i.e. the camera sees it as a Speedlite. Thanks for the comments.

Nemo

Hi Nemo,
I've been working with the Quantum Trio and Turbo 3 combination for the past few months. It works well but can be a little quirky in E-TTL mode. Color balance and natural appearing skin tone rendering are quite good.  One thing Quantum obviously isn't going to advertise, because they make the semi-competing FreeWire X system, is that it works very well with the Pocketwizard ControlTL wireless TTL system - maybe better than the Canon 580 EX II does as it does not have either the documented problems with radio noise generated by the 580 EX II or the internal arcing that  happens with some 580 EX II Speedlites due to ozone buildup inside the head combined with the too close proximity of the flashtube to the metallized reflector in some 580 EXII units.

The attached was shot with a Trio (powered by the mighty Turbo 3) + PW ControlTL FlexTT5  combination roughly 25  feet from camera position and also light to subject distance; standard Quantum reflector was used. Camera: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III , 85mm f/1.8 lens. Exposure:  1/800 + ƒ/3.5 @ ISO125

The Trio  with the standard reflector is quite a bit larger than the 580 EX II but not appreciably heavier as the batteries are obviously not inside it. As Steve Weldon points out th You can work the quantum all day long and much harder than the 580 EX II .

The Turbo 3 is terrific. Currently it is hands down the best high voltage external battery system on the market.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:24:40 pm »

Hi Ellis,

Thanks for the detailed reply. This is exactly the info I was hoping to find. I've had the aformentioned problems with the 580 EX II, which I was told was because of RF interference from the unit to the Pocket wizard and hence the need for the "sock". I'd love to see the shot you were referring to -- it didn't make it onto the forum. Is the Qflash Trio at least as powerful as the Canon? I know the T5dr Steve mentioned is actually rated to 150ws, while the Trio is 80ws. Since Canon doesn't publish output in watt-seconds, I was curious. The Turbo 3 is great, so I'd love to have an equal match-up to my 580. You said the Qflash could be "quirky" in E-TTL mode (which I've found to be the case with my Canon at times). What have you noticed?

Nemo

Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »

i am not sure why you cannot see  the photo. It appears to have been viewed at six times so far. Which browser are you using?

Is the Qflash Trio at least as powerful as the Canon?

ifthe beam angle o nthe 580 EX II is around 35mm ( i.e. 28~50mm) the Trio can match the 580 EX II easy. if the beam angle on the 580 EX II is narrower , no.

You said the Qflash could be "quirky" in E-TTL mode
It is not as automatically as seamless as using the Canon Speedlites.  But all TTL flash solutions can be fooled if you aren't really cognizant of the entire lighting mix.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:52:43 pm by Ellis Vener »

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:21:33 pm »

I've started using my Speedlite more and more as hi-speed fill, rather than an assistant with a reflector, trying to keep up with a model walking along, and I've been pleased with the results.

I see Ellis has answered your questions but I thought I'd add a couple of points.

I think you'll appreciate the quality of light from the Quantum bulb/reflector and the options it'll give you as well. I use a couple of the Trios on the Turbo SC batteries. I often use the bare-tube reflector when shooting in bright daylight/sunlight. It's amazing what that little sleeve on the back of the tube can do. The standard reflector is a much larger light source than the Canon and gives a nice even light. Much better for the fill stile you mention.

I started with the T2 and original Turbo, still have them and they work after many years. Quantum gear is worth the investment.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:38:06 am »

The Turbo 3 is terrific. Currently it is hands down the best high voltage external battery system on the market.

This is the way I feel about my Turbo 2x2 and Turbo Compact..  Before I spend on a Turbo 3.. have you used the Turbo 2x2 and is there an appreciable difference in recycle time and/or total number of pops?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 12:41:37 am »

Is the Qflash Trio at least as powerful as the Canon? I know the T5dr Steve mentioned is actually rated to 150ws, while the Trio is 80ws. S

Nemo

Power is one of the reasons I use these products.  I recently had the choice to purchase a Trio to control my T5rd's or a Pilot.  The bottom line was the power.  There will be times when that 150ws saves the day, and even under normal use you can really use the power where other flashes are limited.   Plus, I don't use my flashes in the hotshoe.  I have the RSS flash mount kit which puts the light up (three different length risers are available) and to the side.. and I greatly prefer this.

Still.. I want a trio for more casual use.  And it will come in handy as a 3-4 flash at times.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:44:24 am »

I see Ellis has answered your questions but I thought I'd add a couple of points.

I think you'll appreciate the quality of light from the Quantum bulb/reflector and the options it'll give you as well. I use a couple of the Trios on the Turbo SC batteries. I often use the bare-tube reflector when shooting in bright daylight/sunlight. It's amazing what that little sleeve on the back of the tube can do. The standard reflector is a much larger light source than the Canon and gives a nice even light. Much better for the fill stile you mention.

I started with the T2 and original Turbo, still have them and they work after many years. Quantum gear is worth the investment.

a.  The quality of light over a standard speed light has to be seen to be believed.  It makes all the difference.

b.  I agree, I often shoot just bare bulb and the specular highlights really add a pop you have trouble identifying the source..

Ellis Vener

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 06:09:39 am »

This is the way I feel about my Turbo 2x2 and Turbo Compact..  Before I spend on a Turbo 3.. have you used the Turbo 2x2 and is there an appreciable difference in recycle time and/or total number of pops?

If your  question was addressed to me my answer is that I went from using an original Turbo (also a Dynalite Jackrabbit battery which I prefered to the Turbo) to using a Turbo 3. The Turbo 3 and Trio are on loan from Quantum while I review various pieces of their system for the magazine I write for. The Turbo 3 is smaller an has greater capacity than the 2x2 model. I also reviewed (and liked) the Turbo Blade which is designed to go under a camera or off camera flash.

I agree with all of the general comments about Quantum product quality. The only gear of their's I really disliked are the Radio Slaves 2 & 4 which forced me to switch to PocketWizard years ago.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:36:25 pm »

If your  question was addressed to me my answer is that I went from using an original Turbo (also a Dynalite Jackrabbit battery which I prefered to the Turbo) to using a Turbo 3. The Turbo 3 and Trio are on loan from Quantum while I review various pieces of their system for the magazine I write for. The Turbo 3 is smaller an has greater capacity than the 2x2 model. I also reviewed (and liked) the Turbo Blade which is designed to go under a camera or off camera flash.

I agree with all of the general comments about Quantum product quality. The only gear of their's I really disliked are the Radio Slaves 2 & 4 which forced me to switch to PocketWizard years ago.
Thanks.  I'd like to find someone who's used the Turbo 2x2 and the newer Turbo 3 and can tell me the differences.  Obviously there's a difference in size and looks, but recycle time and pops per charge interest me the most.  To me the Turbo 2x2 has always been great and I'm tempted to pick up a couple used ones and have Quantum rebuild them.  The Turbo Blade takes the place of the Turbo Compact.. I like the Compact because I can mount a T5rd on it and it will sit by itself on a table top, floor, anywhere.. and no stand is needed.  Makes a perfect background light.

The freewire system has always worked fine for me, but the Pilot control really brings out the magic in the system.  I love being able to control mode, power, etc, of all my lights from one position.

I've chatted with the Quantum engineers about making FP flash available in the T5rd's (currently the only reason to get a Trio over the more powerful T5rd) and I've bugged them and bugged them about making an ap for an Iphone or Android or even a stand alone LCD unit to control the lights.  Their screens they use now suck, especially in daylight.  They act like they're listening but...

Ellis Vener

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

I've chatted with the Quantum engineers about making FP flash available in the T5rd's

FP / HSS brings up another issue. When I use the Trio with the PocketWizard ControlTL system at sync speeds greater than what the camera's normal sync speed I leave the flash in either manual or standard E-TTL mode and let the Mini-TT1 and or TT5, depending on which I am using as a transmitter, take care of the High Speed Sync.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:47 pm »

I've chatted with the Quantum engineers about making FP flash available in the T5rd's

FP / HSS brings up another issue. When I use the Trio with the PocketWizard ControlTL system at sync speeds greater than what the camera's normal sync speed I leave the flash in either manual or standard E-TTL mode and let the Mini-TT1 and or TT5, depending on which I am using as a transmitter, take care of the High Speed Sync.
Curious, with the freewire so capable and integrated.. why are you using PocketWizards?  Any obvious advantages I'm missing?

Ellis Vener

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 01:52:13 pm »

Curious, with the freewire so capable and integrated.. why are you using PocketWizards?  Any obvious advantages I'm missing?

a) Reliability ( The Freewire may be perfectly reliable - I just don't know it)

b) Better range.

c) The Trio i am using is on loan for reviewing and most of the time I use a range of lights  ranging from small (Canon Speedlites / Nikon Speedlights), to medium (100-640 w-s  ( mostly Paul C Buff Einstein 640 monolights (which have a dedicated ControlTL receiver  the Power MC2), large  640 > 1200 w-s (mostly Profoto 7B and Elinchrom Ranger when not using an AC powered pack and head or very high power monolight system) and extra-large ( 2400 w-s pack and head systems (mostly Broncolor and Profoto) but sometimes 1200 watt-second systems.   I know how to make both the PocketWizard standard ( Plus II, MultiMAX) and PocketWizard ControlTL  systems work with all of the above. This is important to me as  I sometimes will have a mix of these sizes being used in a lighting set up.

d) I had enough trouble with the Radio Slave IV system being unreliable and frequency drifting  that by the time the FreeWire  came out I had moved on to PocketWizards   (first 16 channel Classics . now 32 channel MultiMAX) and the FreeWire X system simply had little appeal to me. Life and technology are a complicated enough cake as is.

That said I will shortly be reviewing the Pilot and will give the FreeWire a fair shake

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

a) Reliability ( The Freewire may be perfectly reliable - I just don't know it)

b) Better range.

c) The Trio i am using is on loan for reviewing and most of the time I use a range of lights  ranging from small (Canon Speedlites / Nikon Speedlights), to medium (100-640 w-s  ( mostly Paul C Buff Einstein 640 monolights (which have a dedicated ControlTL receiver  the Power MC2), large  640 > 1200 w-s (mostly Profoto 7B and Elinchrom Ranger when not using an AC powered pack and head or very high power monolight system) and extra-large ( 2400 w-s pack and head systems (mostly Broncolor and Profoto) but sometimes 1200 watt-second systems.   I know how to make both the PocketWizard standard ( Plus II, MultiMAX) and PocketWizard ControlTL  systems work with all of the above. This is important to me as  I sometimes will have a mix of these sizes being used in a lighting set up.

d) I had enough trouble with the Radio Slave IV system being unreliable and frequency drifting  that by the time the FreeWire  came out I had moved on to PocketWizards   (first 16 channel Classics . now 32 channel MultiMAX) and the FreeWire X system simply had little appeal to me. Life and technology are a complicated enough cake as is.

That said I will shortly be reviewing the Pilot and will give the FreeWire a fair shake

In my experience the freewire is as reliable as it gets and the range is more than I'd ever use, at least up to 150-200 feet.  I did get annoyed with the Radio Slave set from Buff.. it was nice to be able to adjust the levels and I really hope their new system is better because I'm interested in their Einsteins.  But I might end up going Profoto because I like their notebook light controller interface.

Where the Freewire shines is in a small 3-5 light setup with Quantum products as there's nothing you can't adjust or do with the Trio or Pilot.  You can do ETTL, Manual, all of it.  You can even set one light to manual, another to ETTL, another auto.. it gives you a lot of options.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »

I did get annoyed with the Radio Slave set from Buff.

Just to be clear,  I was referring to the Quantum Radio Slaves II and IV as being unreliable and subject to drifting out of tune with each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up