Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems ordering Adobe CS5.5 upgrade  (Read 1844 times)

BrianWoolf

Problems ordering Adobe CS5.5 upgrade
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

Like a lot of photographers, I tend to upgrade every 2nd generation. As I recently heard about Adobe's change in policy, starting in Jan. 2012, that you will need to upgrade every generation or have to pay full price if you miss a generation., I realized I would need to upgrade, as I wish to buy a new camera and would need Adobe Camera Raw 6.5 or higher and that works only with CS5 or CS5.5. As I have CS4, I thought I was only going up one generation. I don't have any real problem with Adobe's change of policy and paying the price, it's is their business and I can live with the new rules.
   The problem happened when I went to Adobe's web site and bought the upgrade to CS5.5. I filled out everything and read it all and ordered it. So I received it on friday and on saturday afternoon, I found that I had time to install it. So I removed the plastic and started to read the outside of the box and found that I had bought the Upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5, and I have the CS4 design prem. suite!!!!!  On the box there is info about upgrades - www.adobe.com/go/upgradeinfo but it is a stupid time to find out that there are different upgrade route for different software, after I bought the thing. I went back to Adobe's web site and there is no info about other upgrade choices and where near the CS upgrade - all it says that it is an upgrade to CS5.5 and DOES NOT indicate any limits whatsoever. After following the info on the box, I find that my upgrade from CS4 to CS5.5 would cost $649 instead of the $399 I paid. While I am a bit disappointed that I have to pay more money, I am really IRRITATED that there was no clear way that I could know this. All Adobe had to do was state : Upgrade to CS 5.5 from CS 5.0 only. That can't be that difficult to do.
   So now I have to call Adobe and return the update that won't work, get credit for it and get the correct update for my situation, wastes both our time.

Brian Woolf

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Problems ordering Adobe CS5.5 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »

Are you saying you purchased only a Photoshop CS5.5 upgrade instead of buying a Creatice suite 5.5 upgrade?

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

... I am really IRRITATED that there was no clear way that I could know this...

I entered this string into Google search: "design premium cs5 upgrade from design premium cs4" and got this result below.

I do not know, seems pretty straightforward to me.

BrianWoolf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:46 am »

Sorry gentlemen, it seems that I did make a small mistake and did not read everything carefully. I missed four letters: I own. When you select 'Buy' the panel changes into one that requires you to make some selections, the first selection is 'upgrade' and is already selected, the second says 'Product' in larger letters and I assumed that they wanted me to select the product that I wanted, I missed the smaller less obvious 'I own" to the left of 'product'. Why does this happen, well as I get older my eyes get less sharp it is harder to see smaller type, also I have bought so many upgrades over the years I forget or don't notice when they change things and just do automatically what I remember from the last time, which can easily be wrong. Also this was something I felt I was required to do by Adobe's policy changes and wasn't looking forward to spending the money at this time, meaning that I was not in a good mood when I purchased this upgrade.
   Still, even after I select the wrong upgrade and was in checkout it was not clear to me which upgrade I had bought. At that point I should have been able to see a mistake. I found out when the box arrived and the clear info was printed on the box itself.

Bernard - No I choose the wrong upgrade to design premium, I selected my mistake in I Own: Design Premium CS5.x instead of Design Premium CS4, which is what I currently have.

Slobodan - for some reason I am not good with 'searches'. I would put in something like "upgrade to CS5.5" and get all kinds of crap. It seems like your full statement gets better results and must try it in the future.

Thanks for the replies
Brian Woolf

BrianWoolf

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

It gets stranger. I contacted Adobe to return my wrong upgrade. The gentleman that I spoke to asked for the serial number of my wrong upgrade, then the serial number of the CS4 software that I have. The he said I could go ahead and use the 'wrong' upgrade (from CS5.x to CS5.5) to upgrade my CS4. It worked, took about two hours and it all seems to work. I am a happy camper.

Brian Woolf

Pages: [1]   Go Up