Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono Lake taken off state park closure list  (Read 2020 times)

Paul Sumi

Mono Lake taken off state park closure list
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:45 am »

Not earth shattering news, but welcome to those of us who photograph in the Eastern Sierra.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/mono-lake-taken-off-state-park-closure-list.html

"Mono Lake State Natural Reserve, an eerie Eastern Sierra landscape of tufa towers built up from deposits of limestone from freshwater springs, has been stricken from the list of state parks targeted for closure by July 2012, officials announced Thursday."

"The reserve leaves the list of 70 parks slated for closure because of broad public support and a "parking fee solution" to state agency concerns about offsetting annual operating expenses of roughly $111,000, state officials said. Under an agreement with the agency, the Bodie Foundation will operate a concession to collect fees of about $3 per vehicle at a popular area on the west side of the lake."

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Re: Mono Lake taken off state park closure list
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:46:35 pm »

I have been hoping they would close many of the parks.  So I could go in them and shoot them without the hoards of people in my way.  As Robert Redford said they have no right to close public lands.  If the morons that run my state would get a 5th grade education they could balance a budget.  But they try to close these parks just to piss us off and we give into there never ending ways of spending money on things that waste it.  All to get the vote instead of doing what's best (FOR THE LEGAL TAX PAYING CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!)

Don't let them change your plans. 

masl

Re: Mono Lake taken off state park closure list
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »

As an easterner who spent 8 months in the Golden State I will state this - It's the constitution - folks get to ballot for lower revenues and higher spending.  Cannot imagine the horror of being a public official for the State.  Beautiful place, loved all the parks and would have paid more than I did to have access (which is what the future surely holds) but in the end I'm sure that the first state dollar shouldn't be spent on public recreation.  If you can afford these cameras be happy to pay a user fee that approaches the cost of maintaining the facility.
-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and
Pages: [1]   Go Up