Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 paper feed error  (Read 10853 times)

vtillard

Epson 3800 paper feed error
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:07:44 pm »

I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to make some prints. Out of probably 50-100 tries, I have managed to get the paper to feed correctly twice! It doesn't matter if I use the rear feed or the front feed. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of paper I'm using (for the record I'm trying to print on Hahnemuhle photo rag bright white 310 gsm, 8.5x11 and 11x17, and the Museo large card. Sometimes I get an error message indicating "paper load error," or "paper skewed," or "paper setting error. Check paper source in the Driver Settings and Load paper correctly." Believe me I'd LOVE to!
Any suggestions?

na goodman

Re: Epson 3800 paper feed error
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »

From the front lcd screen go to menu/printer setup/paper check and turn it to off. Try that
and see if it helps.

vtillard

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »

:( thanks for the suggestion, but didn't seem to help. Tried the Museo card and got the same message about checking the driver settings (what does that mean anyway???) and when I tried the Hahnemuhle 8.5x11, it said borderless printing not supported when paper check is off (I didn't ask for borderless, selected US Letter (rear, manual).
Any other suggestions? I really do appreciate the help!

vtillard

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:22 pm »

To continue this saga, when turned paper check back on, using the Hahnemuhle 8.5x11, I got a "borderless error . . . use correct size paper" (I'm printing a 5.5x7 image on the paper).  ???

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:49 am »

What tray are you using to feed the paper? Have you tried just a plain paper of say 8.5x11 through the top feeder to see if you get the same error message.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:46:14 am »

Is this a new printer unit, and has had these feeding issues ever since you received it?

Or, is this an older unit, which used to feed fine -- and only recently started to have these feed issues?

Sometimes if you have a batch of paper that is slightly skewed, you can get these error messages.  I wonder if the sensor for checking paper alignment has gotten a little dirty and is possibly misreading.
Eric Chan

vtillard

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:40:20 am »

I just printed on Epson paper and it fed fine! What the heck? It isn't a particularly new unit, I've printed probably 300 images with it. I have had issues off and on with paper feed, but not like this. Is it the paper I'm trying to use? The Hahnemuhle is thick (.5mm I think) and the Museo card is an odd size, but that shouldn't matter should it??? Maybe I have a setting wrong but can't figure out what that might be. Now what? I so appreciate the help.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:58 am »

On my 3800 I haven't tried any Hahnemuhle, but I print most everything from the top feeder, even for papers that must be fed one sheet at a time. I've tried the front feeder a couple of times but it never worked, and I've never needed it. The rear feeder seems somewhat fussy, but works fine with careful alignment. I'd try the top feeder if you can.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

I'm not sure what feeder you are using for the heavier papers but I have no problem feeding Hahnemuhle German Etching from the back feed.
I have paper check turned off. With it on I would get paper errors.

vtillard

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:35 am »

Ok, I tried the sheet feeder, but using the Hahnemuhle icc profile, I wasn't able to choose the recommended "velvet fine art" paper, so I just left it on "photo paper" ultra lustre I think. It worked. Then I tried the rear feeder, selected velvet fine art and got the error message to check paper source! So I left all the settings the same (rear feeder and velvet fine art paper) and tried the sheet feeder. It worked!

Seems like this is kind of a hit or miss operation. It's very frustrating and the paper is a bit costly to keep experimenting! So I guess I'll use whatever setting I need to use to get the print made!

Thank you all for your help. This is an amazing resource and I'm so glad I found it.

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:47 am »

It sounds like some of your problems may be coming from using photo black or matte black.

David Good

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 08:26:51 am »

I use the rear feeder (3880) most of the time and the only times I get an error like that is when I switch from photo black to matte black. Not sure why but the paper doesn't seem to get grabbed properly, however, if I apply a little pressure on the sheet until the lcd panel indicates "Ready" it sorts itself out. Sheets fed after that load properly and I don't have to stand there adding downward pressure on the paper. I just finished a run on Museum Etching using the "Velvet" media setting, with only the first sheet giving me attitude. Worth a try if you haven't already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up