Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn's end  (Read 1181 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Autumn's end
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »

From my travels to Reuschbach Germany, one of my favorite areas to work. I wanted to capture Autumn before the colors faded.

Mark

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Autumn's end
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »

It's a lovely scene, but it looks as if it's HDR, and I see ghosts all over the place.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:51:27 am »

This really is a beautiful scene, well-composed with the low horizon allowing the photograph to fill with the colourful leaves. You've captured it at the height of colour with warm and soft sidelighting.

Pathways, like the road shown, are a wonderful way of drawing the viewer into and through landscapes. However, with the road being so central, after travelling down the road the viewer has only discovered the very central part of the scene.

Moving to one side of the road so that it forms a diagonal not only strengthens the composition, it creates a more interesting pathway. For example, if you were to have been, say 1m (3 feet) to the right keeping both the left tree and right tree in the composition, the road would then form a diagonal across the scene left to right and disappearing around the corner, but it meets the horizon which would then bring the viewer back to the left. Furthermore, that great tree on the right edge would be given slightly more dominance and impart a more three-dimensional effect with its arching branches creating yet another pathway through the canopy.

Exposure under a forest canopy is always a problem; expose for the canopy and the sky is blown out; expose for the sky and the canopy is in deep shade. HDR is perhaps the only way to properly balance the two, but as RSL pointed out, the ghosting is obvious which may be a detraction to other photographers who recognize the HDR effect. [Aside: To many non-photographers, the ones who purchase our work, it is less of an issue unless they are true photography aficionados.)

Many photographers feel that HDR alone will solve all their exposure imbalance problems. I'm an advocate balancing HDR with other techniques in, for e.g. Lightroom. Use HDR to partially correct the problem, then apply some Adjustment Brushes and Graduated Masks in Lightroom to finish the job. That way, the HDR "look" isn't as obvious (or not at all) and you have a bit more control over how much correction should be applied. (e.g. the shadows can be further opened up in the canopy in the top right of the photograph).
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »

luxborealis, excellent suggestions. I like your insight on placement and the suggestions for removing the HDR effect. I use Niks software for my processing. Funny you should mention how people react. I have sold this piece already. What the customer likes is the "paint" effect HDR gives the pick. I think they like that more because painting takes "skill" and photography is easy! Everyone has a camera so they can do it!! Although we both know the truth in my "paintings" sell better than my "photos." Thanks again and I hope get your input again!

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up