Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting large prints - more questions  (Read 3720 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
mounting large prints - more questions
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:10:24 pm »

Hi all,
   I've been searching the threads and have a few unanswered questions:

is anyone making their own standouts with MDF? if so, what are you mounting to it and with what adhesive?
Where does one find the black "film" that many print shops wrap the edges with? is it hard to do/use?

I'd like to mount a variety of papers, mostly moab exhibition lustre and Optica One - I don't have and really don't want a laminator or hot press, is there a rolled on glue option that would be best? What substrate would give the best results with no bubbles/buckles over time?

is there a size at which doing this without a machine becomes unwise? I've seen the videos using Glamour II and they look like a snap on masonite, but they are doing 11x14's or so and I've got to do a handful of 20x40's.

many thanks
Mark

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: mounting large prints - more questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:16 pm »

I use Seals Print Mount Ultra.(With a laminator)
The only material I know of not needing a laminator is the Scotch PMA
I have some and yes you can do it without a laminator. For your own use it comes out ok.
I would not want to be reselling PMA mounts and have to guarantee the results.

The companies that do larger quantities of these mdf mounts have an edgebander. Drytac sells 2 of them and they are fairly expensive.
You can try painting the edges black,but it is a pain. Again for your own use very doable.
To resell not so sure.
You can try the Glamor II and see how it works for you.
Personally I would get several samples from online companies that sell these prints and mounts.
Hang them on the wall to show your clients. If they want 1 or 2 order them in, mark them up and make your profit that way.
I do not offer these mounts for sale but like to demo the process in our workshops. My first laminator only has a nip opening of 3/8" which is too thin for mdf mounting. (Unless you want 1/4" or 3/8" mounts)
 If you start looking at laminators make sure the nip opening is 1/2" minimum and 3/4" is better.
I solved that issue with my Seal 62" Base machine that has a 2" nip opening that can  handle just about anything you might want to laminate.
You do not need this level of equipment to do these mounts. You could purchase the 25" manual model from Drytac,very affordable.
Don't forget you also should be over laminating before mounting. (Laminator needed!)
The other option for you instead of over laminating is spraying, which can be another can of worms

Hopefully someone else chimes in with other options for you.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:40:53 am by Dan Berg »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

thanks for the info! You bring up a good point. I'm all set up to spray and kind of assumed I'd spray and/or roll the print prior to mounting. is there a methodology to doing the final protective coating before or after mounting? I kind of figured before so that I'd have protection while I'm stumbling about doing the mount.

framah

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »

Dan... it's PMA, (Positional Mounting Adhesive) not PSA (Public Service Announcement).  ;D

I do agree with you that it would not be a good idea to use it on the size he listed.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

dgberg

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:52 pm »

Oops,sorry.
 One of those 61 year old moments.

vtillard

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:29 pm »

MDF? I really am a "newbie!"

dgberg

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:37:15 am »

framah

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:19:02 am »

Oops,sorry.
 One of those 61 year old moments.

Good thing I'm a year younger than you so I can help the elderly!!   ;D ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Sussex Landscapes

• Sussex Landscape Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »

MDF? I really am a "newbie!"

medium density fiber board.

used primarily in carpenrty work amongst many other uses

LenR

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »

Actually Dan was correct to refer to it as PSA.

It stands for Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.

And then there's SAV (Self Adhesive Vinyl) which doesn't need any PSA!

But that doesn't let him completely off the hook because he laminates AFTER mounting :o)

dgberg

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:15 am »

But that doesn't let him completely off the hook because he laminates AFTER mounting :o)

Got me again.
Actually I spray or laminate everything before mounting.
Time to slow down and proof what I am writing.
Here are the board mounts we do and the machines and materials used.
"Proofed Twice"  :)

Canvas wet mount to Gatorboard.
Print canvas - Let dry overnight - Spray canvas with Timeless or Glamor II - Miracle Muck canvas to Gatorboard.

Canvas prints laminated to Dibond or Gatorboard.
Print - Let dry overnight - Over laminate print with heat set Print Guard UV Luster a hot roll laminate process - Mount laminated print to substrate with Print Mount Ultra a cold roll product.

Plexi Mounts
Print on Pictorico Film hi gloss white film or Photochrome metallic papers - Let dry overnight - Over laminate print with Opti Mount Ultra an Opti clear 2 sided mounting adhesive.
After laminating the print use the second side of the Opti Mount to mount laminated print to the Plexi a cold roll laminating process.

Fine art and photo papers mounted to MDF,Dibond or Gatorboard.
Print -Let dry overnight - Over laminate print with Print Shield standard UV usually Luster or Matte - Mount laminated print to substrate of choice with Print Mount Ultra a cold roll product.

Presently the only heat set laminate used is the Print Guard UV. It really looks great on canvas and is 10 times more durable then the sprayed products but then you need a hot roll machine.
The matte product is a little plasticky looking for some folks which is why I really like the luster finish. A very nice medium gloss.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:37:09 am by Dan Berg »

framah

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »

ACTUALLY.... it IS PMA for Positional Mounting Adhesive mainly because I have a box of it in front of me while I'm typing this and it actually says Scotch® Positionable Mounting Adhesive Rolls.  So in point of fact, I was almost right...  positionable versus positional.

What it means is that as long as you haven't burnished it down, the art technically still repositionable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up