Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiking to Photograph  (Read 2586 times)

LukeH

• http://
Hiking to Photograph
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:52 am »

Probably a topic that has been done ad nauseum, but looking for some ideas and advice, especially from the Australian lads and lasses.....
Looking to do some hiking for my photography, and wondering what sort of gear people took for 1-2 night treks. I know less is more, but looking for information from those who have gone there before.....
I will be taking my 7d, tripod and a couple lenses (advice with which ones appreciated) but what else in regards to gear?
Sorry if the questions seem a bit open ended.......

RichDesmond

Re: Hiking to Photograph
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:17:19 pm »

When you say "gear", do you mean just photography gear, or general hiking gear also?
Assuming just the former, keep it simple. Other than the camera and lenses, I only carry a CP filter, spare batteries and memory card, and some lens cleaning supplies.

As to lenses, a lot depends on what you have and what you like to shoot. I typically carry 3, a 10-22, 18-55 and 70-300 (the non-L). If I had to leave one at home it would be the 70-300.

LukeH

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »

I'm looking for advice on both please.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

i am assuming back country.
#1 light as possible, 1 lens, maybe +small wide angle, enough spare batteries ( if really cold you need more). Did i say light ?
#2 pack to handle worst overnight weather if out more than 1 night. You'll have to be dressed in adequate gear anyway. GoreTex and 100% wool are wonderful. If at elevation and mountains pack for wet weather.
#3 clean water and food. water is the more important unless you have treating equipment for Giardia and Cryptosporidium
#4 now go get a pack fitted to you that will handle the volume from 1 & 2. REI and Whole Earth are good choices with people that know what they are doing to fit you.

On well used trails, you can usually get by with light boots or even good shoes. If you know you will be in rougher territory, get a well fitting pair of boots and wear them daily for a month to get used to them. The fit is more important than the cost.

Otherwise rent a mule or llama or horse if the trail allows it.

Frank.

Maurício Costa

• Mauricio Costa
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »

More importantly, IF photography is your primary objective, plan each stop or just leave extra time in the trekking schedule. It is impossible to do both properly.

I've just posted my pictures from Patagonia, where I basically did 10 days of hiking in Torres del Paine (W track), and 2 days of "Whalesound Project" - In the former I've almost killed all my photographic opportunities by being in the wrong place at the right time (and vice versa). I also almost killed myself carrying too much weight (27 Kg among them almost 10 Kg of Photo Gear).

The pictures are here: http://mauriciocostadotcom.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/37/

Many of my best pictures in TdP where done without the heavy bag, either in the transfer to the park, the boat the took me out etc....

degrub

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:50:41 pm »

Nice shot of the mountains with Guanacos in the foreground.
Frank

Maurício Costa

• Mauricio Costa
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »

That was pure photographers luck... Wasn't planned and I Just couldn't Focus the bloody beasts... This is practicaly the only one in focus... I got lucky to get a private transfer from P Arenas... They arrived in the Park at dawn... If I had planned, maybe couldn't get a better one... ;-)

Marlyn

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:54 pm »

Probably a topic that has been done ad nauseum, but looking for some ideas and advice, especially from the Australian lads and lasses.....
Looking to do some hiking for my photography, and wondering what sort of gear people took for 1-2 night treks. I know less is more, but looking for information from those who have gone there before.....
I will be taking my 7d, tripod and a couple lenses (advice with which ones appreciated) but what else in regards to gear?
Sorry if the questions seem a bit open ended.......

At lot of this depends on WHERE and WHEN.    Exactly where in Australia do you plan on hiking, and what time of year, and what is your hiking experience ?

I've travelled a lot of Aus,  both hiking when growing up in a couple of the mountain ranges, and these days by long range outback 4WD touring.   Like manyplaces on earth, It is an unforgiving country for the un-prepared.   Happy to throw out some advice, but so much depends on where you want to go.  Central Aus ? FNQ, Tasmania, etc etc.   All the rules for hiking apply regardless of photography.  You want to know what you can carry,  weight wise, FSO (from skin out), based on your own experience with bush, plus be prepared for the specific location.    (Especially Fresh water, and protection from both elements, and other hazards such as poisioness animals). 

Regards

Mark

Pages: [1]   Go Up