Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Software Can I use With Mac G5  (Read 10094 times)

rollsman44

Which Software Can I use With Mac G5
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:51:29 am »

I just purchased a Mamiya 645 AFD11 with Leaf Aptus 22. I have a Power Mac G5 with 10.4.11 software and 3GB Ram.  I cant seem to find a real good Software( like Capture 1 or LR3.5 ) that will work with my current( somewhat antiquated system). I am not sure if I should try to find a good software with my system or Buy A Newer computer that wont break the bank. I am now retired and just do some portrait work. Thank you

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Which Software Can I use With Mac G5
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »

I would get a newer low end CPU which would end up blowing the doors off the older G5. A low end iMac or even a Mac Mini will outperform that old G5. And you'll want 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard) if you can...Lion is still a bit iffy.

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:08:48 am »

Thank you. How do I switch over all my files, email programs from what I have now to the newer one without any problems?  Thank you

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:14 am »

You can use Apple's Migration Assistant (included with newer versions of Mac OS X) which does a decent job, usually...
Francois

elliot_n

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »

Migration Assistant on a new Mac won't co-operate with a G5 running 10.4.11. I think you either need to upgrade the G5 to Leopard, or clone the G5 to an external drive and migrate from that.

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »

Migration Assistant on a new Mac won't co-operate with a G5 running 10.4.11. I think you either need to upgrade the G5 to Leopard, or clone the G5 to an external drive and migrate from that.

+1
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

francois

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:20:56 am »

Obviously, migrating from a Mac OS X 10.4.x system to a 10.7.2 is still possible provided you can use the target disk mode. I tried with an old iMac G3 (slot-loading, Mac OS X 10.4.x) and the transfer started via FireWire (target mode). I don't  know what result to expect but at least it appears to be supported by Apple (see screenshot).

Personally, I would do it "by hand", it's neither difficult nor time-consuming.

Francois

mediumcool

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:51 am »

Obviously, migrating from a Mac OS X 10.4.x system to a 10.7.2 is still possible provided you can use the target disk mode. I tried with an old iMac G3 (slot-loading, Mac OS X 10.4.x) and the transfer started via FireWire (target mode). I don't  know what result to expect but at least it appears to be supported by Apple (see screenshot).

Personally, I would do it "by hand", it's neither difficult nor time-consuming.

No. There is zero support for PPC on 10.7.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

elliot_n

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 02:27:08 pm »

Obviously, migrating from a Mac OS X 10.4.x system to a 10.7.2 is still possible provided you can use the target disk mode.

Right, that makes sense. I was trying to migrate from an old G5 to a new Macbook Air. As the Air doesn't have firewire, Migration Assistant wouldn't work. The only possibility (I think) was pulling the drive from the G5 and putting it in a USB dock connected to the Air. In the end I decided to migrate manually.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »

That's true, but it's a moot point in the scenario described. Target disk mode makes the hard drive in a Mac appear to any other Mac as just another external HFS drive. It doesn't require any PPC code to be run except on the PPC Mac, so 10.7's lack of PPC support is irrelevant.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

francois

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 04:55:30 am »

Rob is correct, PPC support is irrelevant in this case as the target disk mode is essential the same as moving the internal hard drive [from the old 10.4.x Mac] to an external enclosure. And I can confirm that it works (or at least data get copied from the old iMac G3 I had to my Mac Pro).
Francois

francois

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:57:57 am »

…In the end I decided to migrate manually.

You did well, it's not so hard and you can choose what to transfer and leave the old useless stuff behind.
Francois

Ivor

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 06:17:03 pm »

Raw Developer and Silkypix converters work just fine under Tiger on a PPC Mac; both offer support for Leaf 22 and deliver high quality conversion.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

If comfortable with, I personally wouldn't change my entire hardware and software set up just to get access to C1/LR3 but chacun à son goût.

Pages: [1]   Go Up