Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEX 7 review  (Read 20718 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: NEX 7 review
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:44 am »

Hi,

DxO-mark measures sensor characteristics only. In that regard it seems that NEX 7 is pretty good, but Canon is a bit handicapped in DxO-mark regarding DR at low ISO.

Michael is absolutely right about lenses mattering most. A smaller sensor will make heavier demands on the lenses.

Perhaps Michael has the opportunity to compare the NEX 7 with his Alpha 900, that would perhaps be a valid comparison.

Best regards
Erik

Well, if you do a DxOMark comparison you see that the overall rating for the sensors is very close, with the NEX-7 having a very small overall advantage.

Since they also have similar resolution (the NEX-7 a bit higher) I would judge them to be quite comparable.

Lenses will make the greatest difference when it comes to IQ.

Michael

Erik Kaffehr

michael

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

Afraid that my A900 is in Toronto and I and the NEX-7 are in Mexico. The twain won't meet till spring.

Michael

jfirneno

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 03:37:40 pm »

Mr. Reichmann:

First of all, thanks for your very interesting (and in my case) and useful article on the NEX-7.  I currently use a 5N as an indoor alternative to a Sony A850 and find the manual focus capability with various legacy lenses highly enjoyable.  I anticipate that based on your article I'll either get a NEX-7 when they become available or get whatever the successor to it is sometime next year.

Secondly, in view of some of the rumors that have circulated about full-frame Sony cameras next year, could you imagine that Sony would create a sort of hybrid NEX/Alpha by putting a full-frame sensor in a full-size body but with a NEX e-mount connector so that it could be used either with legacy full frame lenses via adapters or with alpha lenses via either the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2.  Personally I think that would be a great camera but maybe I'm missing something about that idea that wouldn't make sense.

Regards,
John

canlogic

• http://
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 08:23:13 pm »

Afraid that my A900 is in Toronto and I and the NEX-7 are in Mexico. The twain won't meet till spring.

Michael

I would be happy to pick it up and bring it down there.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

HJW

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 03:49:27 am »

Just a note to point out that the 12mm/5.6 Voiglander lens is definitely a retrofocus lens. The only lens near this focal length I know of that is symmetrical is the Hologon, and that is a 15 (or later, 16mm). The 15mm/4.5 Voigtlander is also retrofocus.

If the two Voigtlander lenses had not be designed as retrofocus lenses, metering on the M6 and later cameras would have been impossible, and the two would have been totally useless on the M8 and M9. Just try using the Hologon on an M9. Or, for that matter, the 21mm/3.4 or f/4 Super Angulon lenses, which are also essentially symmetrical. That's also the problem with the 21/4.5 Biogon. The 21/2.8 Biogon is of definite retrofocus design.

An easy way to tell if a lens is retrofocus (or telephoto, for that matter), is to look through the front of the lens at a given aperture, and then through the back. If the aperture looking through the back is noticeably larger such as in the case of the 12mm, it is retrofocus. If it is noticeably smaller, it is telephoto. If similar, it is essentially of 'normal' design, and in the case of classic wide-angle lenses, usually symmetrical.

This take nothing away from the main points of the article, which clearly show which lenses can be used easily and with no extra contortions as opposed to those which, like the 12mm, may be retrofocus but are of insufficient retrofocal ratio to avoid the problems of imaging on digital sensors which are intolerant of sharply angled imaging rays (nearly all of them).

Henning

Dennishh

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »

Michael, Love your review! Is it possible for you to show us what the Zeiss 24 looks like on the NEX 7. I suppose you've already thought of this but thought I'd ask anyways. After lugging my 5DMK2 around Spain this summer I can't wait to lighten up my kit. Another thought was have you tried a pocket Wizard to sync it to portable flash on the 7, would love to see how the new sensor reacts to studio flashes.

Dennishh

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »

Michael, Love your review! Is it possible for you to show us what the Zeiss 24 looks like on the NEX 7. I suppose you've already thought of this but thought I'd ask anyways. After lugging my 5DMK2 around Spain this summer I can't wait to lighten up my kit. Another thought was have you tried a pocket Wizard to sync it to portable flash on the 7, would love to see how the new sensor reacts to studio flashes.

Well I found my answer at http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/23/the-sony-nex-7-digital-camera-review-by-steve-huff/ suppose I should have known this but am new to this NEX thing. I also found out that you need a special hot shoe adapter to use a pocket Wizard that costs another $195,seems like a ripoff to me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:45:07 pm by Dennishh »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:53 am »

Hi,

I guess that Pocket Wizard is not intended for Sony anyway. I'm not familiar with Pocket Wizard, but I would presume that Sony cameras cannot utilize it's features fully.

There are much cheaper hot shoe adapters than Sony's.

Best regards
Erik

Well I found my answer at http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/23/the-sony-nex-7-digital-camera-review-by-steve-huff/ suppose I should have known this but am new to this NEX thing. I also found out that you need a special hot shoe adapter to use a pocket Wizard that costs another $195,seems like a ripoff to me.
Erik Kaffehr

Dennishh

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:29 am »

Hi,

I guess that Pocket Wizard is not intended for Sony anyway. I'm not familiar with Pocket Wizard, but I would presume that Sony cameras cannot utilize it's features fully.

There are much cheaper hot shoe adapters than Sony's.

Best regards
Erik

If you haven't used the pocket Wizard how can you make a comment that it's not intended for the Sony? Off-camera flash isn't intended for this camera? Please tell me where there's a hot shoe adapter for the Sony that's cheaper?

michael

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:57 am »

Maybe not a solution for everyone, but the NEX-7's built in flash can act as a wireless trigger for Sony brand flashes. I imagine that it will do the same for any studio units with a detector, or an external unit like a Wein.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 09:46:30 am »

Hi,

1) http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/

2) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Ntt=Sony+Hot+Shoe+Adapter&A=endecaSearch&N=0&Currency=EUR&Q=&InitialSearch=yes

Best regards
Erik

If you haven't used the pocket Wizard how can you make a comment that it's not intended for the Sony? Off-camera flash isn't intended for this camera? Please tell me where there's a hot shoe adapter for the Sony that's cheaper?

Erik Kaffehr

Dennishh

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 10:12:15 am »

Thank you for the link, this is great!

Dennishh

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

Thanks Michael for the info about the trigger! It sure would be nice to be able hook this up to the studio strobes, seeing that the images look good. I had another question about the size of the Zeiss 24 1.8, is it as big as it looks? How come the Fuji X 100 lens is so much smaller than the Zeiss? Is the Sony 16–50 F2 .8 with the A mount adapter about the same size as the Zeiss 24 on the camera? Does the Zeiss 24 have image stabilization? I'd love to see comparison between these two lenses?

Maybe not a solution for everyone, but the NEX-7's built in flash can act as a wireless trigger for Sony brand flashes. I imagine that it will do the same for any studio units with a detector, or an external unit like a Wein.

Michael

pindman

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 12:11:45 pm »

+1 I'd also like to see a comparison of wides for the NEX-7!  The ultrawide comparison was great.  How about in the full-frame equivalent of 20-24mm?  Michael?  Thanks in advance!

Paul

... I had another question about the size of the Zeiss 24 1.8, is it as big as it looks? How come the Fuji X 100 lens is so much smaller than the Zeiss? Is the Sony 16–50 F2 .8 with the A mount adapter about the same size as the Zeiss 24 on the camera? Does the Zeiss 24 have image stabilization? I'd love to see comparison between these two lenses?

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 02:06:23 am »

Best APS camera ever! DPR just released their full review. Many things pointed out are just what Michael noticed and wrote (ing) about in his rolling review. Damn freacking serious awesome camera with serious bugs. Luckily, it seems mostly all of them can be fixed by firmware re-writing. Again, Nex 7 main drawback is the rickety lens line. Too much of a camera. Funny!
Eduardo
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:17:13 am by uaiomex »

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:18 am »

I see conurus http://conurus.com/index.php are making a Canon EF lens adapter with auto aperture.

I wouldn't mind using the NEX 7 with my ZE primes.

Dennishh

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:20 am »

An adapter like this would be great! The NEX 7 is just what a lot of us have been looking for an in camera that we can carry around and lightens up the load but has the quality. I just did some calculations on weight between the NEX 7 and my 5DMK2 kit and found it to be more than 4 pounds less. After a few hours of carrying a bag around that 4 pounds sure will feel great. The NEX 7 lens selection should rapidly improve especially with the interests in this camera. Zeiss now knows they can make good money on its lenses so we should see a couple of pancake lenses from them. As a 1DsMK3 shooter I was particularly disappointed in the announcement by Canon. What I like about the NEX 7 is it's adapter to use Sony A lenses which means I can invest in some A glass that can later be used on a new Sony full frame camera. It hasn't been announced yet but if it uses the same technology as the NEX 7 and incorporates some more professional features, like live view it will be time to switch systems. Canon might preempt this with a couple of new cameras, but has to do that in the next few weeks or months to be successful. Nikon already has a great sensor and rumored to go up to that 36 megapixel point. For now my walk around system will the NEX 7, Zeiss 24 mm F1.8 and 50 mm F1 .8. I probably will add the A lens adapter and the Sony 16 – 50 F2.8 and a Zeiss 85 mm F1.4 at some point. But for now all we can do is wait and see.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

Yes, I shoot with a 1DS3 too and Im not sure exactly where Canon is heading other than video.

The NEX7 and my Zeiss primes seem to fit the bill in the short term. The other option is to jump the Canon ship all together. The truth is the NEX 7 is a great camera but good glass to do it justice will cost and is rather limited other than going to Leica etc.

D

Dennishh

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »

I probably would only jump to Sony if it was for their full frame camera and they had the new sensor. I imagine Canon will have to come out with a better 5D something. The NEX 7 will make a very nice backup/walk around camera especially with the Zeiss glass. I bet there will be low quite a few very good new lenses introduced in the next few months. Quite a few of the Sony/Zeiss lenses have a great rating, can't wait to try them out.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

Perhaps Michael has the opportunity to compare the NEX 7 with his Alpha 900, that would perhaps be a valid comparison.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, you can now see that comparison on DPreview.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up