Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo GT3541LS vs Gitzo GT1541 vs Feisol CT3442 with RAL  (Read 7102 times)

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
Gitzo GT3541LS vs Gitzo GT1541 vs Feisol CT3442 with RAL
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:38 am »

I am trying to understand (given that I don't plan on using a center column at all) which of these is actually more advantageous. The Feisol is included purely because of price consideration, and because it folds down so short, easy to fit in carry on luggage. (I currently have a Manfrotto 190XProB, or at least its earlier cousin.)

It seems to me that the 3541LS is the most advantageous choice in terms of overall height (without center column extension), weight capacity, and folded length.

I use a Markins M10 ballhead with my gear, which is currently undergoing major upgrades this coming year.

My heaviest camera that gets mounted is a Sinar F2 4x5, but this tripod is realistically intended as more of a travel beast that I want to easily take with me for a number of workshops this coming year.

Cheers,
Justin

RPickard

Re: Gitzo GT3541LS vs Gitzo GT1541 vs Feisol CT3442 with RAL
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:28 pm »

Maybe you should also consider 3541XLS, for regular use, you may extend only 3 sections, for some uneven surface/slope, you get extra length to extend.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:16 pm »

+1 on getting the extra leg section, particularly if you aren't going to go with a centre column.

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:59:04 am »

Maybe you should also consider 3541XLS, for regular use, you may extend only 3 sections, for some uneven surface/slope, you get extra length to extend.

My only concern with the XLS is that the minimum folded length is 27", making it very hard to pack into a carry-on. The extra half-pound is also a minor concern, but not terribly important.

Cheers,
Justin

woehlerking

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »

Hi Justin .
 I have the gitzo 1541T and like it vey much for its compactness.
Gitzo says its good for 17lbs.
 A tripod that you don't bring because of inconvenience is no good at all.
If you watch you can sometimes get a break on the price.
 I got a $80 rebate when I bought mine.
  I use a photoclam ballhead and all is well.

torger

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:01:53 am »

I have the GT3541XLS, and I am very satisfied with it (so far, only used it for a couple of months, don't know if it is going to wear down or something :-) ).

I relatively often need the height, especially on uneven ground. Compared to a typical center column tripod it is higher and more stable, and actually lighter in many cases since a center column does weigh some. In normal use on even ground I need only 2,5 or only 2 sections extended, rendering a very stable tripod.

The only drawback is the folded length is a bit longer than others, but I can live with that. I don't think those extra 2-3 inches makes much difference. On short hikes I carry the tripod in my hand, on longer ones I have it attached to the outside of my backpack.

Oh well, not having a center column is a drawback in some cases of course, when you have very close foreground so you need to micro-adjust height a center column is nice. If I shoot flowers or other close range stuff I prefer a tripod that has a center column.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:07:39 am by torger »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:33:33 pm »

I was very impressed by the Feisol tripods I saw at Photoplus/NY this Fall. Very light, and not terribly expensive.  I wondered about the durability though.  That said, I think I am going to get the large model with centering column next tripod  buy...use Manfrotto carbon now...
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

nma

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

Justin,

Without claiming it is as good, or better, the Feisol 3442 RAL is up to the job. I am over 6 ft tall and use it comfortably without a center column. The without center column configuration seems particularly stable. I use it with the photoclam pc40 ball head, a 5D11 and up to a 100-400 Canon L zoom lens. It packs comfortably in a suitcase and is light enough to carry while hiking.  Not sure i would recommend it for the 4x5 rig, except in a pinch. Taking into account price, and intended use I think the 3442 is the  one to go for.

I am trying to understand (given that I don't plan on using a center column at all) which of these is actually more advantageous. The Feisol is included purely because of price consideration, and because it folds down so short, easy to fit in carry on luggage. (I currently have a Manfrotto 190XProB, or at least its earlier cousin.)

It seems to me that the 3541LS is the most advantageous choice in terms of overall height (without center column extension), weight capacity, and folded length.

I use a Markins M10 ballhead with my gear, which is currently undergoing major upgrades this coming year.

My heaviest camera that gets mounted is a Sinar F2 4x5, but this tripod is realistically intended as more of a travel beast that I want to easily take with me for a number of workshops this coming year.

Cheers,
Justin

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »

Hi,

I have the GT3541LS. Quite satisfied but I'm actually not impressed by it quality, but otherwise it is OK. I would definitively look at RRS (Really Right Stuff). I have not tested the RRS stuff, but I have plenty of their stuff and most (but not all!) is excellent.

I normally transport my tripod as checked luggage.

Best regards
Erik

Cheers,
Justin
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up