Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magenta Dawn  (Read 1616 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Magenta Dawn
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:35:28 pm »

Waterton Lakes never disappoints.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

Re: Magenta Dawn
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »

Nice sky, Terry. But the blue seems a little bright? Normally I would it expect it to be darker and less luminous at this time of day. Another issue for me is that it's not clear where the sun is coming from. Scott

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:53 am »

Very nice clouds.  Great exposure.  Any graduated ND or HDR used here?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:42 pm »

Thanks for the compliments - it was a spectacular morning. This was made just before sunrise so the clouds were lit, but not the mountains. It's this combination that produced the spectacular colour contrast.

As an artist, I work very hard to re-create each view as I visualized it and felt it, rather than how the camera captured it. I am also a naturalist with many years of outdoor experience so I am particular about nature appearing natural. The blue of the sky is slightly bright due to the conversion from 16-bit ProPhotoRGB colour space to that provided by 8-bit sRGB.

swilsonsct: Why is the location of the sun an "issue"? If it makes any difference, this photo was made before the sun showed its face. When it did rise it was off behind me and to the left.

As far a graduated filters and HDR - I use seldom use either and they are not used for this scene. However, I did use the graduated mask in Lightroom in the preparation of this  photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:29:34 pm »

swilsonsct: Why is the location of the sun an "issue"? If it makes any difference, this photo was made before the sun showed its face. When it did rise it was off behind me and to the left.

My first reaction was: there's the sunrise, but where is the sun shining from? Just my 2 cents.
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up