Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applying change made to one photo to other photos in Lightroom 3  (Read 2955 times)

sanfairyanne

Applying change made to one photo to other photos in Lightroom 3
« on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »

I'm using Scott Kelby's book Lightroom3, on page 133 he describes how ''Applying changes made to one photo to other photos''. I've done this process before and it worked. Now though I follow everything to the letter but when I try to export the images to the desktop I keep getting the message ''some export operations were not performed''.

Included should be a screen grab showing the message.

Many thanks

sanfairyanne

Re: Applying change made to one photo to other photos in Lightroom 3
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »

I should point out I'd been exporting these as 'original' I just tried exporting as psd files and the changes were exported this time.

If anyone has anything to add to this I'd like to hear it.

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:48 am »

I'm not familiar with "Scott Kelby's book Lightroom3", but a couple of questions come to mind:

- does this happen for every file you export as "Original" format, or only the ones that have had the ''Applying changes made to one photo to other photos'' technique performed on them?

- the message in the dialog screenshot you posted says "make writable". If this was on a Windows box (I'm not a Mac person), I'd be looking at the permissions on the folder you are exporting the files to. Do you have permission to create files in the folder? Do Macs even get permission problems?

Kevin

sanfairyanne

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:55 am »

Kevk,

does this happen for every file you export as "Original" format, or only the ones that have had the ''Applying changes made to one photo to other photos'' technique performed on them?

Yes It does. I think this is one of my dumber questions. Export as original seems to do just that, it exports without the edits. Last night I discovered that by exporting as a Tiff or PSD the edits were copied across.

Yes I'm a Mac user and one of limited experience (hence the dumb questions) but I love it to bits, I virtually never get irritating pop ups or permission problems like that. Occasionally I have to use a PC and it seems the damn thing never wants to close down without first doing some pointless software up-date.

Andy

Steve House

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:42 am »

Not a Mac user so just guessing that this is what's happening here, but the message you showed says you need to make the files writable.  To me as a Windows guy that implies the original files are marked read-only.  I doubt this is actually related to the applying the edits of one photo to other photos process.  Since CR2 is a raw file that makes sense, since you don't ever want to actually write any changes into your original camera raw files and read-only protects them from changes.  (Lightroom "edits" are non-destructive - they are not changing the original file but instead are saved in the database or sidecar files while the original raw file remains untouched.) If you try to export the original CR2 files with editing changes applied to them, the original files are copied and then the edits need to be written from the database into the copies, but that can't happen if they're read-only.  Exporting as TIFF or PSD, on the other hand, works okay because it's saving a new file instead of trying to replace an old version with a new one.  "Export as original" would be doing just what it says, just making a copy to a new location of the original file as it came from the camera.  I'll bet if you explore the file attirbutes of your originals outside of Lightroom you'll see that they have the read-only attribute turned on.  Turn it off and I bet you'd now be able to complete your export of those files with the editing changes in place.  Now as to whether that is a good idea, that is another story.  IMHO, there is no reason to actually write edits into the raw file.  If you're doing so in order to preserve them for a move over to Photoshop or some other image editing sotware, go ahead and use TIFF, if you send it as a CR2 it'll just have to be converted to something else in the editor anyway.  Same if you're doing it to archive the files outside of LR once you're done with them - nothing wrong with using LR as your archive, leaving them there in the LR database, but if for some reason you don't want to do that, exporting them as TIFF and archiving BOTH files, the original virgin CR2 and the edited TIFF version is much safer.  After all, you never know when you might want to go back to the original as-shot file and start over editing from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:50:36 am by Steve House »

Mac Mahon

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:58:05 pm »

Kevk,

... Last night I discovered that by exporting as a Tiff or PSD the edits were copied across....

Andy

It's working exactly as intended.  I don't know Kelby's book, (although I am a Mac user!) but I'm sure he would have been talking about exporting output files (as JPEG, TIFF, or whatever).  If you wanted to put (copies of) the original raw files somewhere else I guess you'd simply copy them in the OS rather than using Lightroom! 

Tim

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:03:36 am »

I'm not familiar with Kelby's book but I'm unclear on the need to export images to apply changes from one to others.  Are you referring to changes made in the Develop module?  If so, then the Sync function is the easiest way to apply those edits from one image to others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up