Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FCP Rocks  (Read 8472 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: FCP Rocks
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:19 pm »

cine-x is what ive been calling 'capture one' - tool for adding a look and exporting red files

yep Im on 7

Thanks

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

fredjeang

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 02:48:48 pm »

It all depends what kind of workflow you are looking for.

If I understand, you need a fast workflow, without rendering, if possible no conforming and able to both work in fast editing or be powerfull enough for
more heavy-long term projects. You need more reso than 2K.
I also understand that you are in Mac, you don't want to spend your life in heavy learning curve and you want something that works with Red or anything else,
tutos easy to find over the internet, no hassles, reliable because of clients fast delivery etc...

Well, FCP7 simply isn't the appropriate software. I think that the earlier you leave it, the earlier you'd get what you're looking for.

I know that it's not easy to leave a software that we are used to and familiar with, but if you want to move forward in the direction you seems to mention, FCP is a dead road (or an end road, don't know how you say that in english).

IMO, if you agree with all the description I wrote above: Go Premiere Pro.  

Avid is too complicated to learn, and not really intuitive (at first). Edius would be the perfect software for your needs but it's windows only, and I'm not sure if Sony Vegas is as good as Adobe with Red workflow.
You learn Premiere fast, tutos abund everywhere.

Then you can get the lite version of Da-Vinci for free wich works like a breeze with adobe.

In terms of workflow, that will be another story and you'll be able to work fast with confidence.

The only thing that you have to watch carefully with Premiere is the video card. Make sure you have the right brand because PP is very dependant on that and it can boost dramatically or not your editing experience.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:38:04 pm by fredjeang »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:05 pm »

I know that it's not easy to leave a software that we are used to and familiar with, but if you want to move forward in the direction you seems to mention, FCP is a dead road (or an end road, don't know how you say that in english).
'Dead end' is the phrase you are looking for.
 :)

Avid is too complicated to learn, and not really intuitive (at first). Edius would be the perfect software for your needs but it's windows only, and I'm not sure if Sony Vegas is as good as Adobe with Red workflow.
You learn Premiere fast, tutos abund everywhere.
Premiere has improved enormously, it used to be a crockety bag of poo, but it is much better now. Probably as it's aped many of the excellent Sony Vegas's ideas. Shame Vegas is PC only.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

bcooter

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »

Premier had nowhere to go but up though that doesn't mean it's not good, it just means Adobe took a long time to get there.

The problem with Premier is not in it's functionality, it's how few people on the professional level use it.   At least in El Lay.

If our studios become overbooked or have more long form projects come in, with Premier I can't just pick up a phone and find editorial houses or editors.

With FCP 7 I can find 10 in half a day, with Avid 20 people.

As far as Vegas.  Nobody here knows that's a NLE, to them Vegas is just a quick drive to a weekend of fun.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:44:09 pm by bcooter »

fredjeang

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 04:49:09 pm »

Avid is a great NLE, probably the most complete and powerfull to date.

But IMO, it depends a lot on each one business situation. The thing with Avid is that it is the editor for real professional editors, I mean people who are editing 9-10 hours a day everyday. Then Avid shines.
But if you do not practise regularly, it's very easy to forget it. (in that senses it's very much like Smoke).

I think that for multitask people, indy or small pros, that do all their things, included the shooting alone or in a reduced team, Avid is overkill and could be more a problem than a solution.
You really have to edit all the time to make profit of Avid.
For middle, big structures, it's another story, they don't have this prob because they can put people on the editing task.

So I think that for small structures, or simply people who can't-want to enter in a serious learning curve, there are easiest options being good options.

Now, it's true that for a relatively ambicious studio, with external editing houses in mind, Avid would be a great choice, but people should know first that it's not going to be a Premiere Pro or a Vegas learning curve.

Media Composer is a much more serious tool to master.

It is so true that there is a sort of pride within Avid editors because they know that none week-end editors are using it. It's pro only.

Having using it for some months now, I can tell that there is a good reason to go Avid, but there also could be bad reasons in some cases. It's great on comlicated stuff, colaborative workflow, lots of volume, file management, high-end editing techniques that require skilled operator...it's really bad on instant editing with easy intuitive interface that our gran'ma could do while cooking.

There are some advanced functions in the timeline for ex that are really suitable for working fast with flexibility and precision, but they require the guy real knowledge or at least training. In the right hands it could be a time saver, but if the person does not know what he's doing, it could f...d and ruin the editing tracks in the instant without you noticing it at first (so no necessarly will be possible comand-Z)...the "what the hell is that?..." will resonate. (same with Edius)

But I do think that Avid, even not perfect,  is bringing me a real plus in my workflow and measurable in terms of time-money (they are the same) and capabilities.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:48:25 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up