Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Catalog with Thunderbolt Hard Drive  (Read 3670 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Lightroom Catalog with Thunderbolt Hard Drive
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »

Currently I am running Lightroom 3 on a MacBook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) with 8GB DDR3 via a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive.
The Lightroom Catalog is stored on an external G-Technology 2TB G-RAID External Hard Drive Array (Firewire 800).
Now I am looking to to purchase a newer MacBook Pro. Most likely the 15.4" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core 8GB DDR3 Ram with a 750GB 7200rpm hard drive. Now I am also looking into purchasing one the new Thunderbolt Hard Drives. Either the LaCie or Promise Technology. However presently they are very costly.

Now the question? Is anyone storing their Lightroom Catalog via a Thunderbolt Hard Drive? If so is there enough difference in performance to upgrade from Firewire 800?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

Photo Op

Re: Lightroom Catalog with Thunderbolt Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:45:40 pm »

Stu- I previously had my setup on a early Intel Deskpro with 6gig ram and three internal HDs for application, catalogue and cache on separate drives. Recently upgraded to 2011 MacMini server with the 2 hard drives. I also purchased the LaCie thunderbolt 1 gig drive (it has the catalogue and photos now). The app is on one server drive and the cache is on the 2nd internal drive. I also back up to an 800 FW portable for use off site with a MacBook. Even though the Mini has only 2 gig ram for now there is no comparison in speed between the Mini with the thunderbolt and the macbook with FireWire. Mini is faster than old Deskpro setup. YMMY
David

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »

Stu- I previously had my setup on a early Intel Deskpro with 6gig ram and three internal HDs for application, catalogue and cache on separate drives. Recently upgraded to 2011 MacMini server with the 2 hard drives. I also purchased the LaCie thunderbolt 1 gig drive (it has the catalogue and photos now). The app is on one server drive and the cache is on the 2nd internal drive. I also back up to an 800 FW portable for use off site with a MacBook. Even though the Mini has only 2 gig ram for now there is no comparison in speed between the Mini with the thunderbolt and the macbook with FireWire. Mini is faster than old Deskpro setup. YMMY

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to decide which way I need to go. I am hoping that these Thunderbolt drives will start to come down in price as more vendors make them available. I feel the price at this present time may be keeping many from going the Thunderbolt way. I wish the USB 3 Drives were supported with the Mac's, as those drives have come way down in price. 

Stu

Photo Op

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

Dave,

I feel the price at this present time may be keeping many from going the Thunderbolt way.

Stu

No doubt!
David

Bill Koenig

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »

I'm not sure if you've heard, but currently there is a hard drive shortage because of flooding in Southeast Asia.
Prices are almost double at New Egg, and your only allowed to buy just one unit.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:58:29 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,
Pages: [1]   Go Up