Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Lens 150mm 3.5 LS Schneider or Phaseone digital 150mm 2.8  (Read 4846 times)

antoinerose

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a Phaseone P45+ kit + an additionnal 150mm.
Apparently, the Phaseone digital 150mm f/2.8 is considered as being one of the sharpest lens in the Phaseone/mamiya Lineup.
There is a new option, being the Schneider Kreuznach 150mm f/3.5 Leaf Shutter.
There is little information available on the Schneider LS. No MTF chart whatsoever.
Anyone has done comparaison between both ? Which is the sharpest ?
The vendor told me all the Schneider are usually sharper then their Mamiya Sekkor/phaseone counterpart. But Hummmm. It cost an additionnal 1300 USD ;-)
Also, CA and other limitations of both lenses would be nice to have.
Thanks for your feedback.

dlavay

Re: Phase One Lens 150mm 3.5 LS Schneider or Phaseone digital 150mm 2.8
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:57 am »

I have the same question. I recently purchased the IQ160 and had the opportunity to demo the 150LS on a IQ180. Besides the obvious differences in synch speeds allowed the LS had a mag factor of 0.12 and a min focusing distance of 4.8 ft. which limits how my tight one's headshots can be. The 150 2.8. can focus much closer. Unfortunately, the later lens was not available to test. I would very much like to hear from someone who can relate their experience with regard to the quality factors you have raised.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:26:25 am »

It's been too busy for us to run a test but we have both lenses in our rental inventory. If you'd like to rent them both to compare we count the rental towards the purchase (100% within 1 week, 75% within 2, 50% within 3).

Indeed I do find the 150D/2.8 to be the sharpest lens in the D lineup. The 80D and 120D are very close; all three are exceptional lenses.

I've not had enough time with the 150LS to render a comparative judgement. It's clearly very sharp, but only a controlled test would tell you which is sharper at what f-stops.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

antoinerose

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

Hello,
I just ordered the 150mm Sekkor 2.8.  and P45+ kit with phaseone DF and 80LS. (and an additionnal Elinchrom Quadra RX, its Xmas soon isn't it ?)
The 150 2.8 sekkor has apparently a good press and I've had the opportunity to buy a demo lens with a *NICE* discount ;)
I've read somewhere that the 150 LF 3.5 has a a slower AF.
For my application, the LF is not that important. I may always buy the 110 Ls later on which I have tested yesterday and is tack sharp.
I did a quick test yesterday between my venerable Nikon D3x, Nikkor PC-E 85mm against a P45+ and the 110 LS.  Tested on Gitzo 3 series (carbon) and RRS BH-55 ballhead, MLU, captureone. Sorry I didn't get the files.
The P45+ won by a nice margin. 
Let's see in 2 days how the Nikon D800 will looks like. 36Mpix without AA filter. Looks nice ;-)
I should get the back next week. Will try to post some D3x vs P45+ comparison.
Anyway, if anyone gets the 150 LS MTF or did test it, just let us know.
Best regards,

Antoine Rose
Pages: [1]   Go Up