Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photomatix Plugin for Lightroom  (Read 3396 times)

Triolo

Photomatix Plugin for Lightroom
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:10 pm »

I have the latest version of Photomatix Pro and Lightroom 3.5 on a PC.
The plugin seems to default to Adobe RGB at 16 bit.  Even if I change this to Prophoto RGB 16 bit, the file after a round trip through Photomatx is in the Adobe RGB color space.
I don't think this is how it should be working.
As a test, I exported the same files from Lightroom to my desktop as Prophoto RGB 16 bit and them dragged them to Photomatix Pro.
After processing the files I saved the final product back to the desktop.  This file retained the Prophoto RGB 16 bit state as expected.

Does anyone know what is going on with the export from Lightroom?  Is this normal?

RFPhotography

Re: Photomatix Plugin for Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:59:12 am »

Are you using right click to export the selected files or are you using File>Export?  If using right click, the default is AdobeRGB.  If you use File>Export you have the opportunity to change the default to something else.  Why it works one way and not the other, I don't know.  Why it doesn't automatically pick up the LR presets, I don't know.  Those would be questions for their support group.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:03:05 am by BobFisher »

Triolo

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:01 am »

Thanks Bob for the reply.
I have tried both ways as you suggested. From the photomatix plugin I selected prophoto RGB before exporting.
The tiff returned to Lightroom is still in the Adobe RGB color space at 16 bit.

I wonder if it actually makes mush difference once the file is tone mapped, although I will do more tweeks in Lightroom after the re import.

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:12 am »

That is odd.  If I go the File>Export route and select ProPhoto, my tonemapped TIFF is in ProPhoto.  Sure it makes a difference.  It's essentially the same as exporting a single Raw file as Adobe or ProPhoto.  You're tossing out a good bit of colour information. 

Triolo

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:50 am »

I wanted to let you know that I have it working correctly now, but it is a little funky.
It works when I select the export tab and then change the default Adobe RGB to Profoto RGB, then cancel the export.
Then if I go to File / PLug in Extras / Export to Photomatrix, it works.  The tiff returned to Lightroom is in the Prophoto color space.

One glitch is that if any other export selection is made , example export for email, then the Photomatrix export function reverts back to Adobe RGB.
I can live with this now that I am aware, but it is a little funky.

Thanks again for your support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up