Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley Landscape  (Read 1582 times)

FrameMaker

Death Valley Landscape
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »

This is an early morning shot in the sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells, in Death Valley.  Comments appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:20:56 pm by FrameMaker »
"I'd have killed it myself, if I know it was harmless"  PKD

John R

Re: Death Valley Landscape
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:08 pm »

I find the footprints quite unattractive and very distracting. This really is an eyesore especially because the foreground has a lead in line. I do like the sky, however. Overall I find the image unmoving with not much to draw you in. I am always suspicious of BW landscapes and your conversion looks like an attempt to overcome what in colour would be an overpowering light or excessive whiteness or overexposure. Is this the case? But if you really like the image, I would suggest a crop above the heavy footprints and this would minimize the unattractive foreground and place more emphasis on the sky and the more interesting dunes would become the foreground. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have been there and tried it. I don't even bother to try to convert BW images that are even a little overexposed. For me snow is the hardest of all, but I imagine this sand is very close to white snow in sunlight.

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »

I was starting to wonder if not commenting about a photo was the standard LuLa Forum negative comment.

What's the subject of the photo? Not the pristine landscape, but if there's a point being made about the landscape not being pristine then would it work better with some "despoilers" in the foreground rather than the distance? I don't get what the photo's about.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:09:10 pm by Isaac »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

I was starting to wonder if not commenting about a photo was the standard LuLa Forum negative comment.What's the subject of the photo? Not the pristine landscape, but if there's a point being made about the landscape not being pristine then would it work better with some "despoilers" in the foreground rather than the distance? I don't get what the photo's about.

It is, Isaac it is!

In fact, deafening silence is even more appalling than direct insult unless you can convince yourself that most folks can neither read nor write.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up