Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print paper for high humidity framing?  (Read 1587 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Print paper for high humidity framing?
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:33:43 pm »

Question:  What print paper will stay framed flatter in a high humidity environment?  

Printer:  Epson 7900.  Roll papers I have:  Premium Luster, Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, Canson Rag Photo.  I print very infrequently, but really enjoy the 7900 when I do.

Here's the comment from the frame shop to my client friend: "because this will be hung in a more humid climate, Atlanta, a matte finish on heavy paper might be better than the Luster because it will tend to wave less over time."  We live in low humidity Colorado.

I think the framer's comment is a bit dubious, because of the thorough coating Luster gets.  I'm happy to run it on Ilford GFS, and am worried about working the right look on the Canson Rag.  The photo is an environmental portrait of a man on his bike with his dog against a mountain backdrop...  challenging from the point of being too busy   This is a one-time deal, so would like to avoid ordering other paper.  Part of me is thinking, "all inkjet papers are already coated.. so what gives?"

What would the right paper or solution be?  Anything I already own?

Thanks, Ralph

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:41:08 pm by reburns »

reburns

Re: Print paper for high humidity framing?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »

This one will be 24 x 18 landscape, so the roll curl will go left to right on my 24" printer.... giving lots of extra border for the frame shop.  I do have a D-roller.

reburns

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »

Thanks Sharon - Maybe we'll try dry mount... and Ilford GFS will be a better choice over Luster anyway (I was worried about durability earlier).  Our difference is that I'm taking paper from dry to humid - more tortuous than your prints on paper that's already acclimated to humidity.

Do you recon there's any truth to the framer's preference for matte paper?  I could give it a try, tho shy away from portraits on matte without much matte proofing experience.

Gene Coggins

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:22 am »

Your framer is absolutely correct.

If the printed image is properly hinged mounted by your framer, a good natural fine art matte paper will not curl in high humidity.

I cannot say that for Epson's RC papers, such as their Premium Luster, which makes superb prints.

Gene

reburns

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:23:31 am »

Alright.... after I make a brilliant Ilford GFS print I'll wrestle with that Canson Photo Rag.  At least it's fairly neutral white!

fetish

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

if it's not a limited edition print, perma-mount it onto dibond or forex or gatorboard and build the frame around it.
my country is virtually underwater in terms of humidity. nothing that's been mounted that way has ever warped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up