Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling (wheeled) cases  (Read 2443 times)

FrankG

Rolling (wheeled) cases
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:53:42 pm »

Anyone seen and compared the pros and cons of the :
It's to hold 1 dslr (5DII) & 5 lenses plus all kinds of accessories (580EX etc)

Tenba Roadie 2.0 Photo/Laptop Case Small Black
and the
Lowepro roller x100 ?

If you have, can you comment on how far the handle extends....I'm extra tall

Thanks
F

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Rolling (wheeled) cases
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »

I'm looking for a hard carry-on case for my Gowlandflex, and Pelican 2620 seems most promising. They have smaller cases with wheels, no idea how long the handles are, though.

aaronleitz

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:41 pm »

As far as I know, the 1510 is the largest hard shell case that Pelican makes that can still be carried on airlines (according to US FAA). The 2620 is a few inches too tall. I can carry 2 DSLR bodies, 5 lenses and some extras (pocket wizards, a flash etc) in my Pelican 1510.

feppe

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »

As far as I know, the 1510 is the largest hard shell case that Pelican makes that can still be carried on airlines (according to US FAA). The 2620 is a few inches too tall. I can carry 2 DSLR bodies, 5 lenses and some extras (pocket wizards, a flash etc) in my Pelican 1510.

I'm not too concerned about US regulations as I fly there on intercontinentals; the 2620 is in accordance with IATA, and certainly on intercontinental flights. I have a similarly sized Travelpro which is fine: on smaller planes they won't allow to take anything other than a notebook case into the plane.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:03:21 pm by feppe »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »

I have Pelican, about ten Starlights (higher grade of military case than Pelican), Lowpro's, and others.. and since I bought my first Portercase I've only used something else if the conditions forced me to.  It's carry-on sized, and one of it's my compelling features is it easily converts to a type of hand truck/dolly you can stack your regular luggage on top of to wheel around the airport or wherever.  When working locally I can stack a bunch of light stand bags on it and use it as a dolly.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

feppe

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »

I have Pelican, about ten Starlights (higher grade of military case than Pelican), Lowpro's, and others.. and since I bought my first Portercase I've only used something else if the conditions forced me to.  It's carry-on sized, and one of it's my compelling features is it easily converts to a type of hand truck/dolly you can stack your regular luggage on top of to wheel around the airport or wherever.  When working locally I can stack a bunch of light stand bags on it and use it as a dolly.

Wow, that Portercase looks really good. They don't seem to make a carry-on with international carry-on dimensions, though.

And there's a TSA lock for easy steal.. inspection of the contents. For short flights this is an issue as you often have to give the bag away at the gate, so take your valuables out and with you.

Is it awkward to use as a normal carry-on, since you're hauling it upside down due to the wheel placement?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:08 pm »

I have three of the Think Tank rolling cases, the International, Security, and Logistics Manager. The International fits easily into the overhead or under the seat, carries a huge amount of gear, and looks nothing like a camera case. It does have the TSA lock, which might be an issue, and it's a soft case which could be cut open with some effort.

It can carry 2-3 pro-size cameras, the larger f/2.8 lenses, and other accessories with ease.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:02 pm »

Wow, that Portercase looks really good. They don't seem to make a carry-on with international carry-on dimensions, though.

And there's a TSA lock for easy steal.. inspection of the contents. For short flights this is an issue as you often have to give the bag away at the gate, so take your valuables out and with you.

Is it awkward to use as a normal carry-on, since you're hauling it upside down due to the wheel placement?

a.  I use mine international all the time.  Have they recently changed?  The last time I flew with mine internationally was about five months ago.

b.  It's true, for short flights on commuter turbo props they'll ask to take it.  It still fits, but most of the time when I explain the value of the contents they'll let me take it aboard.   And when they do take it at the gate it's still pretty secure, not its going the route of checked baggage.  A calculated risk I guess.

c.  The wheel placement is tricky.  Take another look.  Because of the way it converts to a dolly/hand truck the wheels aren't actually on the side you'd think they will be.  This takes a bit of getting used to because it's just natural to assume they'd be on the same side as the handle.

These are really convenient cases.  This is not a military grade hard case, but they're at least as strong/tough as any regular luggage or camera case, and the wheels are first class.  And it is made well enough where piling on your regular luggage in the hand cart position (takes 2 seconds to put it in this position) is really easy to move it all around.   Once you use one you'll wonder how you did without it.   My problem is I tend to push my luck and use it when I know I should be using military grade cases because it's just so useful.. so far so good.

feppe

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »

a.  I use mine international all the time.  Have they recently changed?  The last time I flew with mine internationally was about five months ago.

They haven't changed, but it could be larger for international and intercontinental flights. Appears that the FAA regulations are smaller than IATA's. Rules vary by airline, but the case you linked to should be in accordance with most. I just would prefer larger.

b.  It's true, for short flights on commuter turbo props they'll ask to take it.  It still fits, but most of the time when I explain the value of the contents they'll let me take it aboard.   And when they do take it at the gate it's still pretty secure, not its going the route of checked baggage.  A calculated risk I guess.

I keep my camera in a secondary bag inside the case, and take out my camera if they insist on taking it off me at the gate.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »

I just would prefer larger.

Maybe Starlight has something that would meet your needs.  These are the absolute best military grade cases, they make Pelican look like kids stuff.  These are what I use when I ship my gear via Fedex or some other carrier unattended.  I've never had something stolen from inside or anything broken when using these cases.  In addition to a second to none shell, handles, weather sealing, wheels.. the interior can be ordered in a superb high-density foam and they'll laser cut it for you on request.  I used these all over the world in my past life.. and now use them for camera gear when extreme protection is indicated.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:58 am »

I am somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6" so I really hear you about handle length. I regularly fly with gear and use  the ThinkTANK Photo Airport international v2 for my cameras (2 1Ds size bodies) an array of lenses, my RRS panoramic gear, media cards, battery chargers, etc.

MrSmith

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »

having tried lowepro and pelicase i finally found what i was looking for with a thinktank roller case.
i wouldn't swap it for anything, the pelli was too heavy, the lowepro rocked from side to side and the handle broke. the thinktank doesn't rock on uneven pavement and the handle is long enough for a 6-footer and doesn't clip your heels like a pelicase. great back-up warranty too

FrankG

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:46 pm »

Thanks for suggestions folks.
I looked at the Pelican today and while I can appreciate it's ruggedness, the handle extension is a lot lower than the LowePro x100 pro roller or the Temba Roadie II.
I hadn't considered Think Tank before.
Since I only have one body, the smaller Airport Airstream model seems more appropriate and less expensive.
Anyone have this one ?

FrankG

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:34 pm »

Some size specs if you're interested. Similar sizes.
So it gets down to build quality & handle extension length.

I need to comfortably hold a dslr (5DII), 5 prime lenses (35/1.4, 50/1.4, 55 macro, 85/1.8, 135/2), 5800EXII flash, plus batteries & various accesories... etc

ThinkTank AirStream -
ID: 13” W x 6.5-7.5” D x 15.5” H

Temba Roadie II -   
ID: 12W x 5.75-7D in x 17H .

LowePro Pro Roller x100
ID: 11.4W x 6.6D x 15.7H in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up