Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel tripod recommendation for MF system  (Read 6232 times)

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
Travel tripod recommendation for MF system
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:17 am »

Am looking for a travel tripod to go with a MF system, typically a Rolleiflex Hy6 or 6008AF + prism VF with maximum a 180mm lens. There are many fine tripods out there; however, I am looking for one that is also easy to carry around attached to a photo backpack (not meant for studio use).
Was first thinking about the Berlebach model nr 7043 (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=305&sprache=english) or 8043 (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=306&sprache=english); they are beautifully made out of wood. Then someone drew attention to the Gitzo traveler series (http://www.gitzo.com/product_list/72038.71837.72041.0.0/traveler), but I find it confusing to find the "right" one.
Important are, of course: load capacity, max height, weight, transportation length.
Recommendations welcome!
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

David Watson

• David Watson
Re: Travel tripod recommendation for MF system
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »

Hi

I have used a Gitzo 3530 for my MF outfit and travelled with it extensively.  After a lot of trial and error what works for me is the 3530 without centre column (avoid like the plague), an Arca Swiss Cube modified with a Really Right Stuff screw clamp and an L plate fitted to my camera body.  In addition I sue the RRS long lens support kit to further stabilise the rig.
David Watson ARPS

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »

I use a Gitzo GT1541T tripod with a Gitzo GH1780QR ball head. This setup is fantastic for travel. The legs weigh 2.1 lbs. and will support 17.6 lbs. The head weighs 12.3 oz. and will support 22 lbs. The ball's friction is great -- I tighten it, let go of the camera, and it doesn't budge at all -- no settling after tightening. The tripod + head fold up very small and hang off the side of my backpack. Of course it's probably less stable than a heavier tripod, but I feel I've barely sacrificed stability. I've shot 4x5 with it. If you're shooting long exposures in windy weather, maybe you'd notice a loss of sharpness. You can always hang your camera bag from the center column's bottom hook to add stability.

If you're wanting to use an L-bracket like the RRS one, you're probably better off getting a RRS ballhead rather than the Gitzo one. Otherwise, it's been great setup. Check the specs. Note that the maximum height is 55". With a camera on top, it the viewfinder/eyepiece comes to about 60".

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »

Hi Pascal,
I used a Manfrotto BO055CXPRO3 and arca swiss b1 ball head on my recent trip to Utah and Arizona with my AFi-ii 12.     The set-up easily supports the weight of the camera and my 55mm PCS shown in the cell phone grab picture while we were setting up so I think you'd be fine with the 180mm too.   I think its a fine middle weight tripod, but I did scrape this on the rocks in a few places as it was strapped to the back of my backpack, and I guess carbon fiber can break along scrape lines, so wood might serve better in the long run?   I did not hang any weights from the center post, but might have benefitted from it when it was windy. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:24:42 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:09:27 pm »

Hi,

What I use now is a Gitzo GT3541LS widh at Arca Swiss D4 geared head. I normally strap the Gitzo to my Gura Gear Kiboko backpack and have the head inside the backpack. The head is attached to the tripod with a Really Right Stuff lever type quick release and an RRS TH-DVTL-40 plate. This combo works fine for me. My alternate tripod is a Velbon Sherpa Pro 630.

Best regards
Erik

Am looking for a travel tripod to go with a MF system, typically a Rolleiflex Hy6 or 6008AF + prism VF with maximum a 180mm lens. There are many fine tripods out there; however, I am looking for one that is also easy to carry around attached to a photo backpack (not meant for studio use).
Was first thinking about the Berlebach model nr 7043 (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=305&sprache=english) or 8043 (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=306&sprache=english); they are beautifully made out of wood. Then someone drew attention to the Gitzo traveler series (http://www.gitzo.com/product_list/72038.71837.72041.0.0/traveler), but I find it confusing to find the "right" one.
Important are, of course: load capacity, max height, weight, transportation length.
Recommendations welcome!
Pascal
Erik Kaffehr

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »

After tried Gitzo, Manfretto, and Benro, finally I settled with two tripods:

- Leica tabletop (the later model)
- Benro A2580T

I find that nothing can compensate the strength of the thick legs. and weight really matters. Given that, it's important to find a tolerable heavy weight strong tripod, and check the robustness of all joints. In this area, I find the flip-lock is to be avoided.The height is also important. It must match my height so that I don;t have to bend my neck or tip my toe. I've compared Gitzo 2341L, various Manfrotto, Induro, and Benro,   

Leica tabletop is a pearl, for MF with square format, it's a good alternative for limited situation.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:56 am »

Have used the carbon Gitzo 1228, which is good for going the backpack, but isn't strong enough for long lenses . Got an alum Manfrotto 055XPROB which goes in the car and travels nicely, but not for hiking or air, but is more stable and has longer thicker legs.

Hanging the pack on the Gitzo helps, as does mirror lockup and a shutter release. Not sure if its the size or the carbon fiber that is the issue. Maybe its the tube diameter that matters more than anything else.

RRS ballhead works very well. 
Geoff

baudolino

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:55 am »

Pascal,
Here is my well research recommendation (and what I have):
Gitzo GT3541LS with Burzynski head. For the Hy6, you can screw the Novoflex Q-Base on top of the Burzynski and you are done (no need for Arca-style QR plate, you use the built-in plate on the bottom of the Hy6 body. However, since you also want to use your 6008 with the tripod, I suggest replacing the Novoflex Q-base with the RRS PCL-1 panning screw knob clamp (then you need to use an Arca-style camera plate with the Hy6 and the 6008). Compact, lightweight, sturdy, works very well with the Hy6 (in my experience). The great thing about the Burzynski head and this parcitular tripod model is that the head is partially recessed into the base of the tripod, making the combination more compact and stable. Isar foto in Germany sells the Burzynski head (www.isarfoto.de). I would post some pictures but I am in hurry now, please PM me later if you are interested. Rgds, Martin

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:24:45 am »

I use the Gitzo GT3451XLS carbon legs with the Photoclam Multiflex head. I usually carry the head separately in the bag if I'm traveling any distance, for short walking distances the combined weight is fine with it attached. To be honest I haven't yet tried the legs on my backpack but I imagine it would be fine for at least moderate distances and climbs. The legs are superbly stable, extend to a great height, light for their size, and I have the spiked feet option too. I use a Kirk L-bracket for my Canon and an Arca-Swiss plate for my Afi-II-10, both of which are rock solid on the Multiflex head. (For the Afi I considered the Novoflex Q-base thing mentioned above but I can't remember the reason I didn't go for it in the end - perhaps I'll try it later.)

Good luck with your choice.
Philip

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:28 pm »

Thanks to all for their suggestions and recommendations. Have not decided yet ...
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

theguywitha645d

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:07 am »

I use a Manfrotto Carbone 441 with an Arca Swiss P0 ball head. I used that with my Pentax 645D with lenses up to 300mm, Mamiya 6 up to 150mm, and Horseman SW612 up to 135mm. I can carry this tripod with me for multi-day/week hiking trips. I pack like a mountaineer--watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.

There are always compromises in this choice--I have used smaller/lighter and bigger/heavier models. For me, weight is a very important consideration. I bought the short center column for my Manfrotto just to cut some of the weight down. I chose the three-section model over the four-section one for the same reason. The Arca Swiss P0 is a really light ball head with a large load limit. But I also like a tripod to be about head height with the legs extended--I really don't like extending a center column. Any tripod is not really heavy, but when you start adding a camera, lenses, batteries, rain gear, water, cold weather clothing, etc, things start adding up. I would probably get a slightly larger tripod if I did not live out of a bag or had a donkey.

But tripods are like potato chips, you cannot have just one. So I do have a heavier tripod for less strenuous trip, like day trips or fixed locations I can drive to. Or for special photos like astrophotography--I have a larger Gitzo aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto 410 gear head for an AstroTrack mount. I also have a monopod and a tabletop tripod for vacation/family type travel.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:58 am »

I like the RRS TVC-24 as my lighter "travel" tripod----very capable and a stable platform.  18.7 inches folded; 3.2 lbs.  www.reallyrightstuff.com

I also noticed in the RRS 2012 catalog, they now have a new smaller and lighter 1-series tripod available.  Worth a look.

Professional

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:47 pm »

My travel tripod is Gitzo GT3541LS with RRS BH-55 head, i have Markins Q3T which is so much lightweight but i prefer the design of RRS ballhead and i don't feel bothered much with the weight, just go out and enjoy shooting, most of the time i don't carry the tripod for long long distances yet, one day if i travel more and i have to hike for very long distance i may change my mind maybe if the weight will be an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up