Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just installed the new H4D-40/50 firmware, AF noticeably faster?  (Read 2481 times)

NikolaBorissov

• http://www.nikolaborissov.com
Just installed the new H4D-40/50 firmware, AF noticeably faster?
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:54 pm »

Hey guys,

As the title goes, all my lenses (28,80,210,35-90) focus much faster after the upgrade, there's maybe a 50% increase in speed, which is most welcome, of course. Since this is not listed in the upgrade features, I was scratching my head wondering what might be going on; so I came up with only one logical explanation and was curious if you think that might be the cause: since my H4D-40 was one of the very first units ever produced (arrived on the 1st of March 2010, even before the official sales had started, it was one of the demo units), its body firmware was 2.2.2 (and not the 2.2.4 that the other H4s had, maybe a pre-production release??) and R350 for the back. I never bothered to upgrade until today - both the body and the back. Imagine my surprise when I turned the camera on and AF-ed. So do you think the body firmware upgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.2.4 might be it? Has anyone else experienced the same? I'll kick myself if for all this time I've been using a slowed-down camera just because I was too lazy to upgrade the body's firmware....

evgeny

Re: Just installed the new H4D-40/50 firmware, AF noticeably faster?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:27:17 pm »

I just installed new firmware in my H4D-40. Tested AF under low light. The AF is fast, very fast. I'm so pleased.

rem

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:30 am »

Morning Guys, does the electronic spirit level works on your H4D40/50 after the firmware upgrade?? AF I will check later. Nikola, why not always the newest firmware? I think you should also have a new one for the viewfinder.
lg, rem

Richard Morwood

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:10 am »

Hi Rem
Yes the spirit level and data on the back of the unit both function on my H4D50, which is a H3D50 ungraded. I assumed that unless I paid for a new screen and wiring the firmware ungraded wasn't for me. Thankfully I was wrong. The only thing that is missing is the one touch focus confirmation, presumably due to the old screen resolution. Can live without that.
I agree with the others that the AF seems significantly quicker.
So far delighted with the new firmware.
Richard

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 03:31:00 am »

Hey guys,

As the title goes, all my lenses (28,80,210,35-90) focus much faster after the upgrade, there's maybe a 50% increase in speed, which is most welcome, of course. Since this is not listed in the upgrade features, I was scratching my head wondering what might be going on; so I came up with only one logical explanation and was curious if you think that might be the cause: since my H4D-40 was one of the very first units ever produced (arrived on the 1st of March 2010, even before the official sales had started, it was one of the demo units), its body firmware was 2.2.2 (and not the 2.2.4 that the other H4s had, maybe a pre-production release??) and R350 for the back. I never bothered to upgrade until today - both the body and the back. Imagine my surprise when I turned the camera on and AF-ed. So do you think the body firmware upgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.2.4 might be it? Has anyone else experienced the same? I'll kick myself if for all this time I've been using a slowed-down camera just because I was too lazy to upgrade the body's firmware....

Start kicking!!  ;)

I think the speed increase you are experiencing was something added quite a long time ago.  There was of course a newer firmware you could have used before the most recent release, which would have given you the same result.

Always use the latest!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

NikolaBorissov

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:00 am »

And this is how you learn.... I really gotta slap myself!!!! Actually besides being lazy I have another excuse too - I am a PC user and my laptop only has a small FW connector which is not powered, so I can't update the firmware through it (tethering works though, with an adaptor). Tried with putting the files on the CF card - no can do, I still get a "connect FW to update" message, so I had to go to my dealer and get it done there. Can't wait for the USB3 to get around...

David: I can't seem to find the one touch 100% zoom thingy, how do you do that? :)

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:35:18 am »

And this is how you learn.... I really gotta slap myself!!!! Actually besides being lazy I have another excuse too - I am a PC user and my laptop only has a small FW connector which is not powered, so I can't update the firmware through it (tethering works though, with an adaptor). Tried with putting the files on the CF card - no can do, I still get a "connect FW to update" message, so I had to go to my dealer and get it done there. Can't wait for the USB3 to get around...

David: I can't seem to find the one touch 100% zoom thingy, how do you do that? :)

Indeed!!

For one touch...

Press Menu on the camera body> Then press the AEL, True Focus, Stop Down or Mirror Lock button (This will be the button that actuates the focus check)> Scroll to the option "Dig. Foc. Check".  Half press the shutter to save it.

Take a picture... hit that button.

D
David Grover

NikolaBorissov

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:53 am »

Thanks!!! I thought I should hold-press or double press something. Fantastic little feature, works surprisingly quick. Nice, me very happy :) Now the camera is pretty much perfect, I only wish they would implement RAW+low quality JPG in-camera and invent a wi-fi accessory to send the JPGs over to phocus mobile without having to be tethered to a PC. Some day, some day..... :)

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:49:03 am »

Thanks!!! I thought I should hold-press or double press something. Fantastic little feature, works surprisingly quick. Nice, me very happy :) Now the camera is pretty much perfect, I only wish they would implement RAW+low quality JPG in-camera and invent a wi-fi accessory to send the JPGs over to phocus mobile without having to be tethered to a PC. Some day, some day..... :)

Great!

To solve your firewire issue, buy yourself a powered firewire repeater.

D
David Grover

NikolaBorissov

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:52:15 am »

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but I tried a couple of expresscard adapters and none of them was powered.... Should look around :)

• Capture One
David Grover

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 05:22:35 am »

Just an observation I recently had: One of our customers who uses also a H4D50MS and did run it from a PC before (with a firewire repeater) now switched to the latest MacBook Pro 15 for outhouse jobs and this one obviously has got an improved Firewire Power supply . The H4D50MS runs flawlessly tethered without an extra power source.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:19 am »

Mr Steib,

Does the HCam work with a Hasselbad MS back in MS mode ? If so, this is only in Canon mount ? Tethered, untethered, or both ?

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 09:18:52 am »

Yes the HCam can shoot multishot. Actually this was the first thing we have tested, but this was with the old Imacon multishots and the old software.
So all older MS backs work. The newer ones (those which need Phocus) are a bit more complicated. The latest firmware of the Backs and the Phocus software do now allow to switch to multishot mode (was disabled before!) and we already had success using it, but it is not yet stable and we are still working on the cabling and the exact settings.
We will announce it as soon as we know exactly how and when it is working. (we will also take a look to this new firmware first- again testing.....;-)

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".
Pages: [1]   Go Up