Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singh-Ray infrared filter  (Read 1202 times)

John E

Singh-Ray infrared filter
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:02:54 pm »

Anyone who has experience with this I-ray filter vs. an infrared modified camera? Search on this site yielded only one reference in the For Sale category in '09.

I'm interested in dabbling in infrared, but no longer have a body that I would consider getting modified. In short, is this filter worth the $ for the results it gives? (Subjective, I know.)

Thanks.

John

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Singh-Ray infrared filter
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:45 am »

If your interested in dabbling in IR do what I did, get a Canon G series camera (at the time the latest model for me was a g10) and then send it off to Lifepixel to get your desired conversion. Then you have a compact camera with lots of manual controls as well as a viewfinder and live view so you can see IR in real time.

The problem with IR filters is that they block the viewfinder so you have to compose without the filter not he lens, then put the filter not he lens, adjust exposure and a like and then take the picture. It adds steps and time which can be annoying.

Or if you have an older DSLR in your preferred mount (or Digital back if your so inclined) you can have those converted by Lifepixel as well (and Im sure others) and then you will have all of your lenses at your disposal. That said you could also buy another lower-end or regular DSLR in your chosen mount and achieve this as well.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

John E

Re: Singh-Ray infrared filter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:41:29 am »

Thanks for the info, Brian. Unfortunately, I sold my D70 and D200 in order to afford D300 and D700. I'm reluctant to repurchase a similar camera to those earlier ones just to try out infrared. I was not aware of the viewfinder problem. However, as I will only be dabbling, that might not be a huge irritant for me (tho I am quite lazy at times). Thanks again for your input.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up