Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for Recommendation of Fine Art Matte Paper for Epson 4900  (Read 2995 times)

tsjanik

I had been using an Epson 4800 with Gold Silk and was unwilling to swap black inks and so never used matte papers.  I now have a 4900 and would like to print some images on a fine art paper and find I know little of what papers are available.  I read Mark Dubovoy’s review of Epson Hot Press and the smooth surface and other attributes sound appealing.  Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Tom

Randy Carone

Re: Request for Recommendation of Fine Art Matte Paper for Epson 4900
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »

Epson Hot Press Bright and Natural White papres are among the highest Dmax matte papers available. A couple of other papers you may want to evaluate are Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag 308 (minimal OBAs) and their Photo Rag Bright White (w/OBAs). Sample packs from these sellers are available for quick testing.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:03:48 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

howardm

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:54:10 pm »

might also want to try Canson Rag Photographique  (not the Platine or Baryta, both are non-matte)

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »

Museo textured Rag for BW and Canson BFK for color.

cheers
afx

texshooter

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:14:16 pm »

after tesing them all, i recommend getting a sample pack from canson, epson, and hahnemuhle. matte paper from all other brands went in my reject bin. however, i used an epson 3800 printer with the manufacturer icc profiles.

i would pick canson rag photographique, epson hot press bright, or hahnemule photo rag bright white, if i had to print matte black.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:41:04 pm by texshooter »

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

I tried the Epson sample pack (two sheets of each) and printed both a reference B&W and colour image on each type.  I do like the Hot Press Natural but prefer the textured surface of the Cold Press Natural.  More importantly, my customers absolutely love it!

I don't mind the Velvet Fine Art either, but if you get the sample pack, make sure you're printing on the correct side. It was upside-down in my pack and I printed on the wrong side on the first sheet.  Couldn't understand why it was rated so good - it looked awful! Of course, when I printed on the correct side - it looked great.

But, the CPN is still my favourite, although I'd probably use the Hot Press for portraits.  No need to add extra texture to skin eh!
Mike Guilbault

simdoc1

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 06:54:03 am »

I agree that people's response to handling either of the cold press papers is quite striking! The weight and texture seem to matter in a way I hadn't expected.

Jeff

texshooter

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:52 pm »

the texture and blacks and color on the epson hot press bright is the best ive seen for matte paper. however the highlight detail is disappointng. the highest number i can see opaquenes on the bill atkinson test image (botom right) is 250 compared to 253 for canson rag photographique and hahnemule photo rag bright white.  has anybody noticed the blocked highlights on the hot press paper?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:42:22 pm by texshooter »

tsjanik

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:11:42 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  Sample packs it is.

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »

Another big vote for the Hot and Cold Press FAPs from Epson.

I have a half dozen watercolor artists that I am reproducing originals to limited editions for, and they all luv the stuff!

I do also, and stocked up on a bunch, taking advantage of their current rebate on rolls  ;
David
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:59:49 pm by davidh202 »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:44:44 am »

Am a little late to the party, but Moab Somerset Museum Rag is quite nice too. Here's my review: http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/07/08/moab-somerset-museum-rag-paper-review.html.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up