Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bryce Canyon & proposed coal mine  (Read 3493 times)

Steve H.

• Steven Hargrove Photography
Bryce Canyon & proposed coal mine
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:03:10 pm »

Hi all,
This posting just came through my email, and I'm passing it along for all concerned.  Seems Bryce Canyon is slated to get a new neighbor, Alton Coal Development, a "3,500 acre strip coal mine right next to the park that would operate 24 hours a day, 6 days a week, polluting Bryce's air, water and quiet seclusion."

"Despite these significant concerns shown in BLM's [Bureau of Land Management] own analysis, BLM has just proposed that the mine be approved. BLM is currently accepting public comments on its proposal and strong public opposition is needed to convince the BLM to reverse course and reject this dirty coal mine."

Credo, the environmental concern, is hoping to collect 40,000 signatures for a petition to block or delay the approval while the "public comment" time is open.  The accompanying link it to the site if you want to read some of the reports and sign the petition.

Just thought I'd pass this on.  Thanks!

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/protect_bryce_canyon/?r=231881&id=30647-2573640-TtPh2Jx

Steve Hargrove

Lonnie Utah

Re: Bryce Canyon & proposed coal mine
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »

FWIW, the Alton Coal mine already operates on 635 acres of private land near BCNP.  They have put in a permit with the BLM to expand that by 3,500 acres (2,280 acres of federal surface area and 1,296 acres of private land overlying federally owned mineral deposits.)   

Steve H.

• Steven Hargrove Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »

Thanks for this info!  Have you found any negative impacts from the current coal mining operation?  It's a fairly sizable expansion.  Just wondering!

Steve

mikemcteer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:10 pm »

Thanks for posting this Steve.  I am a Landscape Photographer and a resident of Southern Utah and live in the neighboring town of Kanab.  The expansion of Utah's only strip coal mine next to Bryce Canyon is a travesty waiting to happen, but it can be stopped if we can get enough people to understand what it will do to one of our countries most beautiful areas. I encourage anyone who cares about saving this National Treasure from having a permanent scar within site of Bryce Canyon National Park.  Please go to this link and help us stop the expansion of the Alton Coal mine:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/protect_bryce_canyon/?r=231881&id=30647-2573640-TtPh2Jx

Mike McTeer

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »

^^ Thanks for that Mike.  I have passed it on and shared it on several other photo forums and social media. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up