Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase/Mamiya 28 vs. 35  (Read 2242 times)

Pesto

Phase/Mamiya 28 vs. 35
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:41 am »

Aside from the relatively small difference in focal length and attendant depth of field, is there strong reason with respect to overall sharpness, and especially edge sharpness, to prefer either the Phase/Mamiya 28 or the current version of the 35mm lenses for general wide angle use? Will f/8 suffice adequately to compensate for their sins on a P40+ back?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:43:10 am by Pesto »

ronaldtilleman

Re: Phase/Mamiya 28 vs. 35
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:00:17 am »

I'm own both, but since I've bought the 28mm I haven't used the 35mm more than a few times. The 28 is optical a much better lens than the 35. Especially for ( corner) sharpness, contrast etc. But than again it's also a little more expensive   ;)

Ronald Tilleman

Craig Stocks

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:34:01 am »

I too own both, but I haven't had them for long. I tend to use the 35 quite a bit more since I can use graduated ND filters with it. The 28 has a bulbous front element, so filters don't work with it.

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:11:48 am »

Pictures of 35mm N distortion here, with distortion corrected in PTLens (assume 28 would be similar). Capture One cannot use lens profiles with older non-EXIF lenses.

I used some sharpness fall-off in C1.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:54:16 am »

I have found that with a (P45+) that both the 35mm AF (not the newer Phase One D) and the 28mm both have issues to consider.

1.  Foremost varient differences.  I tested 4 35mm AF's 2 used 2 new and ended up with a used one.  On the 28mm the only reason I had one was due to the Phase One package that was available when I purchased my back.  The 1st 28mm version was totally off on one side and went back to Mamiya 3 times, finally they replaced the entire lens and the new one was much better  So you have to first decide, do you need the extra reach, then find a good version. 

2.  Filters, I use them, the 35mm likes them the 28mm doesn't.  I still use a rig on my 28mm that was developed by Tim Ernst, and if you search the forms, you may still find the link.  Net, you can adapt the larger Cokin filter system to the outer ring of the 28mm and get by fine.  You add a solid glass $400.00 filter to the front of the rig that makes the lens out of balance, but it works. The 35mm just takes any 77mm filter and works fine with them. The rig Tim built up allow you to actually use both a Cokin sheet filter and a CL-PL. 

3.  Corner sharpness, My 35mm is pretty worthless at below F8 for corners and seems to really shine briefly from F8 to F14, much past that it seems to suffer from other problems.  It's so bad at F3.5 that you actually get smeared image material like when you have shifted a lens too far.  My 28mm is just a bit better wide open, but really not much, and that is really key.  You are paying 3K for a used one and 4K for a new one, where as the 35mm can go for under 800.  At F8 the 28mm starts to really shine and then stay that good till around F16, where it also starts to go.  The hyper focal of both lenses is very good at F8, the 28mm has just a bit more reach. 

4.  C/A, can be seen in my 28mm, very dependent on the aperture.  So far Capture One does the best job on this and can really help.  The 35mm has C/A, but it's not as marked as my 28mm.  I use Capture One mostly for images taken with both lenses since the lens adjustment sliders can really help.  Especially the corner softness slider.

5.  Lens effects, I don't know what the true term here is, but, I the 28mm acts like a 14mm on my 35mm camera, in the way it creates the perspective, seems to push things back and even out/flatten skies.  There are times I really like this look, the 35mm seems more like a 24mm lens on my P45+.  The outer element of the 28mm is most impressive.

The 28mm is big and heavy, I find now I don't carry it as often as I used to and many times drop back to the 35mm.  The 28mm is a firmware lens (it has firmware installed) and you have to send the lens to Phase ONe/Mamiya to get it updated.  I bring the 28mm when I know I will need to be more open due to prevailing conditions for shutter speed. 

As I move over to a tech camera, the 28mm is one lens I will most likely sell since I feel that the Schneider/Rodenstock options are much better, even though it seems you can't shift them much with a IQ160 back. 

Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Pesto

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 11:32:48 am »

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far.  I am not certain that I am any closer to a secision at this point, but the information is very helpful.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:01:48 pm »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianhirschfeldphotography/sets/72157628133846667/

In there are a couple of shots with the 35mm, I did have some issues of my own with focusing but I'm pretty sure that the ones in there are sharp / in focus. They have all their exif data if you want to know apertures etc.....I have not tested the 28mm, but honestly I find that the 35mm is just perfect for me as a wide angle lens solution for my mfdb. On 35mm I use my Leica 24 lux a lot but don't find myself reaching for the Nikon 14-24 that much unless its a special situation. I use these comparisons because mf 35 ~22mm on 35 (effectively 24) and the 28mm ~ is a crazy wide 17mm on 35. If you need that extra room go for it, but I don't see myself needing wider then the 35mm but in the end it really depends on your applications of it.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Pesto

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39:04 pm »

Hello Brian,
Thanks for the thoughts and nice images as well.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:40:43 pm »

You bet, anytime  :)
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner
Pages: [1]   Go Up