Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Touch for tablets  (Read 4129 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Photoshop Touch for tablets
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:44 pm »

Now available for Android, iOS coming soon...

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-touch.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RFPhotography

Re: Photoshop Touch for tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »

Interesting that they'd come out with the Android version first.  Well, maybe not considering the long-running urinating contest between Adobe and Apple.   ::)

What's the difference between this and the online version of Photoshop that they announced a year or so ago?  Express or something like that?  Frankly, I'm finding it very difficult to keep track of what Adobe is doing and their various different product versions. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

Don't read an Adobe-Apple thing into this. Adobe released Carousel first on iOS and are roughly alternating.

It's a lot more powerful than Express. Even stuff like layers and extracting subjects from backgrounds.

John

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »

Not clear to me whether you can access or save images anywhere other than Adobe's Cloud Service, however.  Still, the price is very reasonable given that it appears to be compatible with the PSD format.

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:44 pm »

Don't read an Adobe-Apple thing into this. Adobe released Carousel first on iOS and are roughly alternating.

Fine.  In the end it doesn't really matter either way.

It's a lot more powerful than Express. Even stuff like layers and extracting subjects from backgrounds.

John

And someone would want to go to all that trouble on an uncalibrated/unprofiled screen because.......?

JBerardi

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

And someone would want to go to all that trouble on an uncalibrated/unprofiled screen because.......?

People do an awful lot of photoshop work that doesn't involve working with color. And anyway I think it is possible to calibrate an iPad screen.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:52 pm »

True.  But this is a photography forum, so.....  ;D

It is possible to calibrate an iPad.  But this PS app isn't ready for the iPad yet.  For the iPad, the only (as far as I know) solution is the Spyder3 from Datacolor and a tablet app.  I've asked them if they plan to do anything for the Android user.  They said they may at some point down the road but are concentrating on the iPad for now.  That makes some sense, I think (as much as I dislike anything Apple) as with Apple it's a single device where as with Android, even though it's a common OS and in many cases common C/GPU, the hardware is still different as is the firmware so they'd probably have to put out an app for each device. 

JBerardi

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

It is possible to calibrate an iPad.  But this PS app isn't ready for the iPad yet.  For the iPad, the only (as far as I know) solution is the Spyder3 from Datacolor and a tablet app.  I've asked them if they plan to do anything for the Android user.  They said they may at some point down the road but are concentrating on the iPad for now.  That makes some sense, I think (as much as I dislike anything Apple) as with Apple it's a single device where as with Android, even though it's a common OS and in many cases common C/GPU, the hardware is still different as is the firmware so they'd probably have to put out an app for each device. 

This is very significant to the tens of thousands of... ok, the three guys who own Android tablets.

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »

Oh.  An Apple fanboy?   ::)

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:53 am »

I have the Spyder app, and it seems to me that it only gives the calibrated screen in the Spyder viewing module, which makes it useless for color-sensitive PP on the iPad.

RFPhotography

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:36:31 am »

Ah.  That's interesting.  I knew it was used with the Spyder gallery app but didn't realise it was solely for that and didn't impact other aspects of the device.

Back to the question of why people would want to use this new PS app on an uncalibrated screen then.  And as far as PS being used for other things, while that's true, Adobe is not billing this new app as such.  It's squarely directed at photographers on the Adobe website.

JBerardi

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:31:57 am »

Oh.  An Apple fanboy?   ::)

I mean, it's not much of an exaggeration:

Although tablets have yet to be widely adopted, they already contribute nearly 2 percent of all U.S. Web browsing traffic, driven almost exclusively by the iPad, which currently accounts for more than 97 percent of all tablet traffic. More notably, iPads have also begun to account for a higher share of Internet traffic than iPhones (46.8 percent vs. 42.6 percent of all iOS device traffic), despite accounting for only half of the number of iPhones in use.

http://blog.comscore.com/2011/11/the_rise_of_digital_omnivores.html

What's curious to me isn't that Adobe is releasing an Android version of this software first. It's that they're releasing an Android version at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up