Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halong Bay, Vietnam  (Read 2072 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Halong Bay, Vietnam
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:53:37 pm »

I am planning to spend 4 to 5 days in this wonderful place next month.

OK I've read the LP Guide Book but I still don't know if what I want to do is possible. I’d like to spend 4-5 days in Halong Bay. I would like to spend 2 or 3 nights on a boat. I am ok with staying at Halong City or Cat Ba island for a couple nights if it helps me.

My wish is to be at excellent vistas and viewpoints at sunrise and sunset for the mmagic hour. Preferably I’d like to be atop a limestone island or an elevated position at that time.  Obviously I won’t be able to do this from a boat so that’s why I don’t want to be confined only to a boat the whole time I am there. The dawn and sunrises during my days on a junk will provide a different perspective/point of view but I am trying to figure out how and where I can get the sweeping elevated views of the bay at sunrise and sunset.
The LP book doesn’t have any information about hiking paths on any of the islands. Is that not possible because it is a protected area?

Is the view from Halong City nice? Is it possible to get a nice view of the bay from Halong City or are there better ones available inside the bay (other than the ones from a boat)? Is this one of the few places where I can get an elevated view of the bay? Should I go to Halong City and take a 2 night cruise that ends in Cat Ba Island where I can then arrange separate tours and hikes that will get me elevated views, different to the ones I experienced on the boat?
Is it possible to get to the northern end of Cat Ba island for a view of the bay?
Is it even possible to start a cruise in either Cat Ba or Halong City that ends in the other city? I know there is a tourist boat that does this but I would prefer NOT to return to Halong City from a cruise just to catch another boat to get to Cat Ba.

What do you recommend? Any suggestions, hints, constructive criticism is appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Re: Halong Bay, Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:34:17 am »

I recommend booking through a local travel agent per a search on internet. If booking local you should cut the middle hands (and price) from outsiders of Vietnam. Vietnam is a cheap and lovely country with very kind, interesting and pleasant people. In ~2006 I went to Hanoi on a 24 hour visit (yes, indeed). I spent one night in Old Quarters of Hanoi and one night in Halong Bay. I pre-booked tour to Halong Bay through a hotel I found per good reviews online. Since I wanted to photograph I booked a boat for myself, which turned out to be a boat that could have taken around 15 people. I had three staff including captain and that I made friends with. Not sure how free they are permitted to go with the boats, but do ask. Back in ~2006 the overnight stay on boat including food and mini van to and from Hanoi cost me around 120 USD. Well worth spent.  :)

B.t.w. dont miss out on Old Quarters in Hanoi, very very interesting place to photograph people!

Rgds
Anders

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:42:55 am »

Thanks Anders - I think I'll do a cruise and then try to do a few private runs from Cat Ba island

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:16:28 pm »

I went over the 2006/2007 holiday season with rock climbing being one objective.  At least at that time, climbing was not an authorized tourist activity, so climbers traveled under the radar.  We networked with some French ex-pat climbers and shared a modest boat.  I was told that regular tourist junk boats have to be of a certain size and accommodation.  Our "under the radar" boat had paid the necessary "payouts" to travel to spots outside the norm without much fear of authorities.  We slept on pull-out mattresses and ate some wonderful food cooked in a one-wok pot over a propane burner.  I should think that size/cost for a smaller boat would be good support for individual goals like photography.  The boat came from http://www.catbaventures.com/ and there's climbing destination info at: http://vietclimb.vn/guidebook/.

I'm guessing that Catba island is a good base for your magic hour photos.  There is a road over the top and I think it yields some elevation and the possibility for multiple views.  We accidentally took a bus to a larger fishing port the north of the bay, and then were actually in the wrong place for transfer to Catba.  It took us extra travel money and a whole night to get over to Catba from there.  Instead, there's a 20-minute public shuttle from the west side.  On Catba we stayed in the top floor of a 6-story hotel.  

And HaNoi is great for people, eating and drinking.  The best tofu I've ever eaten came from a "homestay" farm along the south Vietnam/Cambodia border.  Hope that confuses enough.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:16:07 pm by reburns »
Pages: [1]   Go Up