Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad announced H4X.. Is it worth the trade?  (Read 4300 times)

elcamarada

Hasselblad announced H4X.. Is it worth the trade?
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:18 am »

Today I received a promotion email from Hasselblad saying everyone can trade-in their old H1/H2 gear for the new H4X:
http://www.hasselblad.com/H4X

Currently I own two H1D, one of which was sold as a kit together with a 22meg digital back.

With respect to the above I have few questions to the more competent audience:

- are there any significant benefits for me swapping my H1 body to H4X?
- will I be able to use my 22meg back from the H1D kit together with the new H4X?

Thank you in advance,

Roman

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Hasselblad announced H4X.. Is it worth the trade?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:22 am »

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your back.

I don't really think there is any real reason to upgrade, you can still use all the lenses, and unless your upgrading to another Hasselblad back there wouldn't really be any reason to bother upgrading....I think it adds a few things but nothing revolutionary. Also remember H1/H2's can still take PhaseOne and Leaf backs, so if you are in love with Hasselblad H body, but will want to change backs in the future.....H1/H2 is more open. I know Phase won a lawsuit to allow them to make Hasselblad H mount backs again, but I don't know when that's happened or if that has happened yet or when its effective...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

elcamarada

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The reason why I posted this thread is controversial information which was published by Hasselblad in their product sheet. From one hand, it says that H4X will work with any digital back which was compatible with H1/H2.. And this is fine. But  the header of their glossy says: "...It is not compatible with any H1D, H2D, H3D or H4D digital capture unit" period. I am a bit confused.. Does that mean that it won't handle the 22MP back which came together with my H1D or what?..

As for the pricing - I think I would rather look at Canon 1Dx coming out this spring or will sell both MF cameras, add some money and go for h3d-50..

Roman

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your back.

I don't really think there is any real reason to upgrade, you can still use all the lenses, and unless your upgrading to another Hasselblad back there wouldn't really be any reason to bother upgrading....I think it adds a few things but nothing revolutionary. Also remember H1/H2's can still take PhaseOne and Leaf backs, so if you are in love with Hasselblad H body, but will want to change backs in the future.....H1/H2 is more open. I know Phase won a lawsuit to allow them to make Hasselblad H mount backs again, but I don't know when that's happened or if that has happened yet or when its effective...

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:13 am »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianhirschfeldphotography/sets/72157627269991041/

H4D-50 is great, here are some sample images from a few days I spent in Georgetown before using it in Oregon. Very great camera.

What 22mp back do you have?

elcamarada

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:38:31 am »

I have Imacon 132C and a 22meg back which came together with H1D (Phocus recognises it as Imacon 132C also).

Cheers,
Roman

H4D-50 is great, here are some sample images from a few days I spent in Georgetown before using it in Oregon. Very great camera.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:29:47 am »

I don't feel like that will work, but I'd contact a hass rep.

ixania2

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »

reg. your flicker-link: in "original" size i see a lot of chrom. abber. and unsharpness

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:35 pm »

I entirely agree about the chromatic aberration, but I wouldn't agree with unsharpness. They were all handheld....but still I think they are nicely sharp files. All that said, I bought an IQ180.....I honestly think PhaseOne puts out a better product, at least newer for sure. I think the H4X without any new backs, lenses or any other tech is no step forward.

I think Hasselblad backs are fine, but they are lagging behind PhaseOne in IQ, functionality, and build quality. Haven't had any chrom. aberration problems on Phase yet....

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »

- are there any significant benefits for me swapping my H1 body to H4X?

The main reason for the new camera is for those users of H1-H2 cameras with various backs that are basically worn out, but the user has no path to replace the body.  If your H1/2 body is in great shape and has a long life ahead of it, probably not.  If on the other hand it's got a couple of hundred cycles on it, dinged up a bit and has been serviced a couple of times, probably a good idea to go for the upgrade.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:24:33 am »

The main reason for the new camera is for those users of H1-H2 cameras with various backs that are basically worn out, but the user has no path to replace the body.  If your H1/2 body is in great shape and has a long life ahead of it, probably not.  If on the other hand it's got a couple of hundred cycles on it, dinged up a bit and has been serviced a couple of times, probably a good idea to go for the upgrade.

I did a bit or research, and I agree with this.

elcamarada

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 05:49:10 am »

I did a bit or research, and I agree with this.

Thanks Bryan and Wayne!

Looks like the deal is not worth the money yet. :)

By the way, what was the top 'mileage' of the H1/H2/H3 camera that you ever seen? I did not see a lot of people selling their Hass gear with actuations count above 30,000. However, it is being claimed that the camera should have much better resource than pro Nikon and Canon, some of which normally work for 150-300K actuations and even longer.

gss

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

...it is being claimed that the camera should have much better resource than pro Nikon and Canon, some of which normally work for 150-300K actuations and even longer.
Since the biggest wear and tear is on the shutter, and since the shutters for the H series are in the lenses, I would believe claims that the H cameras could get more actuations.

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
Re: Hasselblad H4x for existing Hasselblad digital backs
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:42 am »

Hello Readers,

Just finished the H4x testing here in Atlanta with a variety of applications but for this post, I'll share my results from using a circa 2005 CFH132 - this is a 22MP digital back that was one of the first integrations with the H-platform that had the same color and body stylings as the body - also the first digital back to shoot to CF card and cutting the cord from the ImageBank for storage and power. It was an exciting time...

Fast forward to the H4x and a real benefit is using the HCD lenses - 28mm and 35-90 Zoom - with this older (and paid off) digital magazine; we have a video of the testing shoot @ youtube - it is posted on the HotwireDigital channel.

Further, the H4x uses a bright white AF assist beam that also produces a bar pattern for creating contrast on nearly anything, so the big advantage over the H1, H2, and H3 bodies - in terms of AF - are no more hunting if the infrared signal is absorbed by clothing or too weak to help in very low light conditions. This will be a big time improvement for those situations involving social and event photography.

I was very pleased at the technical capability of this system without glitches - that is a real pleasure to say I must admit.

More details to follow including shooting with a PhaseOne P25+ to take advantage of not only the HCD lenses, but also the TruFocus technology...

H4x = Hasselblad 4 technology eXtended

John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:19:09 am by John.Williams »
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up