Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Maximum print size  (Read 20940 times)

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
Epson 3880 Maximum print size
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:18:19 pm »

Perhaps this has already been addressed elsewhere, but as of yet I am unable to find a firm answer.

What is the maximum print size of the Epson 3880? I was under the impression that it was 17x22. However I have read of instances where papers of 17x25 or larger were used. If I can print larger, what kind of problems if any would it cause? Do I need to set a custom paper size? Are there any other adjustments I would need to make?

Randy Carone

Re: Epson 3880 Maximum print size
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:31 pm »

The maximum print size on a 3800/3880 is 17" x 37.5" using the Epson driver. If you use a RIP there should be no limit on the length. When printing longer than 37.5" you may run into issues with paper alignment resulting in skew errors. I have printed sheets that are 13" x 40" to print panos that are 12" x 37.5". They printed perfectly.
Randy Carone

mfryd

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »

Epson's printer driver only support borderless printing on the following standard paper sizes:

4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", 11" x 14", 16" x 20", and 17" x 22"

Although you can create custom page sizes up to 17" x 37.5", borderless printing is not supported.

I do not recommend tricking the printer into allowing borderless printing with unusual paper widths.  When printing borderless there is overspray of ink off the edge of the paper.  There are strategically placed sponges to catch this overspray.   With unusual widths you a buildup of overspray on a part of the printer that was not designed for this.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:27:48 am »

The maximum print size on a 3800/3880 is 17" x 37.5" using the Epson driver. If you use a RIP there should be no limit on the length. When printing longer than 37.5" you may run into issues with paper alignment resulting in skew errors. I have printed sheets that are 13" x 40" to print panos that are 12" x 37.5". They printed perfectly.
QImage is rumoured to allow longer prints, although using the Epson driver, by concatenating them. I've not tried it.

Even QImage can't do anything about the maximum width, though.

Jeremy

FrankG

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:14:20 am »

If I could jump in here with a related question:
If my image is 12 x 18 inches and I use a standard cut sheet of 13x19 inches, I would of course select 13x19 inch paper size, but what other setup checks would I make to ensure it is exactly 12x18 and perfectly centered on the sheet?
And what if I use a larger sheet cut off a 17 inch roll - how would I setup the custom size to center the image?
I know there are some issues with border widths/sizes and them not being equal on all four sides (perhaps longer on the trailing end of the sheet?)
Thanks

jtoolman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »

You asked that earlier!
I just created a mock 12 x 18 document in Photoshop and sent it to print to 13 x 19 paper it was centered perfectly with 1/2 inch borders all around. I don't see what the problem is.

Ramonn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:34:17 pm »

Have you actually made a print. I agree that the print looks perfectly centered on the computer screen but when actually printed the margins are not exactly a half inch all around. Usually there is a one sixteenth inch variance which is noticeable if looked for.

jtoolman

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:27:00 pm »

I actually own a PRO 3800 and not the PRO 2880 but the drivers are pretty much identical.
The problem you may be havings stems from printing out of Photoshop or basically any photoeditor.
Current driver does not support true 13 x 19 as you have figured out.
In order to "BEAT" that I am using a semi RIP called Qimage and there I was able to creat a custom 13 x 19 paper size. I sent the custom sized 12 x 18 and sent it to the PRO 3800. result was a perfectly centered print with 1/2 inch borders all around. Of course it may be off a few hairs thid way and that way dues to the fact that paper fedding and positioning is never s perfect thing with printing as you well know.

I could not recreate the same in Photoshop or in Lightroom.
I have stardadized all my printing to all my 9 PRO level Epson and canon printers through Qimage and have never looked back. You might want to take a look at it. The offer a 14 fully functional trial and I think it still sells for between $70 and $80.
Most RIPs run hundreds to thousands..
Pages: [1]   Go Up