Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono Lake  (Read 2571 times)

Marco

Mono Lake
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:06:59 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Ciao Henry, I'm a large format photographer so I can't tell anything about renting a boat  :D ...anyway, the best concentration of tufa towers is at the South Tufa Reserve, when I was there (2 years ago) I camped near the beach waiting for sunrise and the light was beautiful...take your time for explorations, there are some interesting tufa formations not so close to the beach that are worth photographing (like the Fatali's great picture: http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?...&gid=5& )

Ciao
Marco[/font]

Marco

Mono Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:53:40 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I haven't been there recently so I can't tell you if the tufa is still photographable as it was several years ago, but I'm tempeted to say that it shouldn't be any problem, the best tufa formations were very high and I don't think that the rising water is a problem yet...I've found this link, maybe it could help: http://www.monolake.org/live/level.htm ...

Ciao[/font]

Henry W

Mono Lake
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:14:19 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Thanks Graham,
You convinced me. I'll be there within a week or two.
Henry[/font]

Henry W

Mono Lake
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 02:39:07 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I know the water lavels have risen. What are the prospects of Tufa photos? Is there anyplace special to take these shots from? Would a boat be helpful?

Thanks for any info...Henry[/font]

Henry W

Mono Lake
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 01:45:56 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Thanks Marco,
My concern was the rising water levels and whether the tufa was still photographable as it was several years ago.

Thanks for the link to Fatali. He is a favorite of mine.

Henry[/font]

Graham Welland

Mono Lake
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 01:31:36 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I was there last week. The South Tufa range is fine and there's ample parking and trails to get to the formations. The Alkali flies were there in abundance too - not a problem to you unless you're algae as they don't bite! No mosquitos too!

The plans for the lake will take 20 years before the Tufa start to drop under water. It's a long term thing.

If you park in the overflow car park you can access a whole set of Tufa formations away from the walkways and other photographers that can often congregate there in the morning/evening.

Hope this helps.[/font]
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up