Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to get into MF film  (Read 9201 times)

revaaron

Re: Looking to get into MF film
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 01:28:10 am »

I wouldn't get the 50mm, I would get the 110 f/2.8.
I want to get the rz67 pro ii body with a 120/220/polaroid
but I'm still putting it off.

itsskin

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 06:09:35 am »

Great system, great lenses!
The system, which I keep expanding.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 08:52:01 am »

I wouldn't get the 50mm, I would get the 110 f/2.8.
I want to get the rz67 pro ii body with a 120/220/polaroid
but I'm still putting it off.

I want them all, naturally  ;D

I'm new to medium format, but in 35mm a 21mm focal length is by far my most used.  That seems to be changing a bit recently, I'm using a 35 and 50 quite a bit as well.  Still, I thought it best to start with the lens that I seem to use the most (in relative terms).  Assuming I keep going down this road, I'm sure I'll get the 65 or 75, then the 110 most likely.

Right now I'm just anxious to get my first roll back. I got my new scanner yesterday so I'm playing with it on some old 35mm work I have.
John
Flickr

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »

I said I would show a couple of shots when I got a chance, so here are two from Dick's Creek Falls in north GA.  Lighting wasn't all that but.... I wanted to shoot :)  These are the first scans off the Epson V700 I just purchased.  I'm still playing with the focus and as is usually the case, I'm not 100% happy with the sharpness coming out of the scanner.  I still have some things to figure out there. 

I will say this, looking at 6x7 transparencies is quite nice :)

These are shot on Provia 100F, 50mm lens..  both f16 at around 1-2 seconds.

Anyone have any scanner focusing secrets I'd love to hear them :)
John
Flickr

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »

John  Nice shots. And your V700 scans are much better than  my V600.  Sharper.  Alan

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »

Very nice John!

See if this helps you, others have mentioned this in other threads...

http://www.betterscanning.com/
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:39 pm »

John  Nice shots. And your V700 scans are much better than  my V600.  Sharper.  Alan

Appreciate it Alan :)

It may be my level of expectation.  I've gotten so use to digital (5D and 5DII) and sharpening at 100%...very little sharpening actually.  I remember scanning 35mm film and having many of the same issues even with a dedicated film scanner.  It helps to view at something less than 100%.. 1:2 is where I sharpened these.  Still, it seems to take much more than you would think.

What scanning software are you using?  I read a rather long thread on scanning that you started and I think you stuck with the Epson Scan.  I have used it, Silverfast SE, and VueScan.  So far I like the first two options better...  I particularly do not like the histogram options available in VueScan, other than that it seems a nice interface. 
John
Flickr

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »

Very nice John!

See if this helps you, others have mentioned this in other threads...

http://www.betterscanning.com/

Thank you, I'm aware of their holders.  It seems they have infinite adjustment between 2.5 and 4mm or close to that.  The adjusters Epson give you will get you either 2.5mm (taking them out), 3.0, or 3.5mm.  I've played around a little and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference going above 3.5mm (using rigged shims).  It may be my method there but I'd like to prove out the theory before dropping $90 on the holder that "may" not improve focus.  Thanks for the tip though!
John
Flickr

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:36 pm »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:23 am »

John, maybe this can help. http://www.wetmounting.com/Pages/MyScanner/MyScannerSelect.html

Eduardo

Thanks for the response Eduardo.  I've read some about wet mounting and it certainly looks interesting, I may end up there.
John
Flickr

Kerry L

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 11:37:35 am »

I've been doing a lot of reading, and daydreaming at KEH..lol.  Here is what I have in mind to get started..

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II body
120 film back (although a bit hard to find)
Mamiya Sekor 50mm f4/5 lens
Cable release of course

I use the RZ system. Your list looks like a good start, I'd be looking for the G3 hood. Nice thing about the RZ lenses is that the filter ring is the same on all lenses (except the 37 fish-eye) so a 77mm polarizer is a one time buy. I use the B&W by Schneider.

Get the double cable release, so you can shoot with mirror lock-up. It triggers the mirror and then the lens.

If you decide to get a AE prisum finder, buy the new version, (the controls are on top, not on the side.)

120 backs should be fairly easy to find. As suggested in other posts the 50 ULD is a much better lens than the original 50 W. They are hard to come by but well worth the wait. The 50 is wide, I found that I used the 65mm more than any other lens. The RB lenses will work but you should keep with the new RZ lenses.

On last thing, the camera and lens are heavy, get a good h/d tripod!!
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:13 pm »

John:  I use Epson scan with the V600.  I never tried the other two.  Alan

Professional

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »

I am late to reply here, but after some time with my Epson V750 i started to love my scans, sure i dream to get a drum scanner or at least a dedicated film scanner such as Nikon 9000, but i have to be patient with my Epson, first time i used it i hate it and i was trying to find thousands excuses just to buy another better scanner, but because i was busy and the budget was not good that time i hold that Epson for a while, then later day after day i see my work improved a lot.

I use Epson Scan, it give me the simplest interface to work with, i have SilverFast and VueScan, both can do great job but i was confused with SilverFast interface, and with some tests with VueScan i found that Epson Scan gave me same or even better results than VueScan with simpler/easier interface, so i stuck with Epson Scan until the time i feel i have to change it.

Yes, i only use film MF and LF, no 35mm yet, and the best MF i have i like is Fuji GSW690III then if my Mamiya 7II is working then it will be second but it doesn't work yet [problem and i will send for repair later in the future], so Mamiya RZ67 ProII is coming second, of course LF is another league by itself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up