Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to get into MF film  (Read 9200 times)

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Looking to get into MF film
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:24:07 am »

Hello everyone,

I haven't shot film in a very long time, but I'm thinking seriously of getting back into it with MF.  I will not be selling my DSLR equipment, or stop using it, but I "miss" film and was never fortunate enough to experience MF before.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and daydreaming at KEH..lol.  Here is what I have in mind to get started..

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II body
120 film back (although a bit hard to find)
Mamiya Sekor 50mm f4/5 lens
Cable release of course

That will total slightly less that $900 which I though was a pretty good deal.

I realize the lens is wide angle, but I shoot a lot of intimate landscapes (waterfalls, etc.) soit fits well as a start.

Anything I'm missing?  or alternates I should consider?

***someone is going to suggest Contax, but that's a little steeper than I want to invest at this point.  I would LOVE to be shooting Zeiss glass (it's what I shoot on 35mm now) but I'll have to see how deep I get into this.

I appreciate any comments or information.

John
John
Flickr

B-Ark

Re: Looking to get into MF film
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:59:57 am »

You might need a light meter.

mediumcool

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:07:18 am »

Don’t get a 50mm without floating elements; the old 50mm for the RB barked and shed hair.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:24:10 am »

You might need a light meter.

Thank you, I've got that.
John
Flickr

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:26:28 am »

Don’t get a 50mm without floating elements; the old 50mm for the RB barked and shed hair.

Ahhh, this is where I have some questions.  I did a little searching and didn't come up with a neat and clear list of what lens (s) not to get, or to get for that matter.  Are you saying the one I have listed is the lens for the RB?  I thought there was a difference between RB and RZ lenses.  I don't suppose there is a quick and easy way for me to tell the difference in what I'm looking at is there?

Thank you
John
Flickr

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:21:18 am »

Ahhh, this is where I have some questions.  I did a little searching and didn't come up with a neat and clear list of what lens (s) not to get, or to get for that matter.  Are you saying the one I have listed is the lens for the RB?  I thought there was a difference between RB and RZ lenses.  I don't suppose there is a quick and easy way for me to tell the difference in what I'm looking at is there?

Thank you

The lenses for the RZ are different, but an RZ can take an RB lens if I recall correctly. The RZ introduced electrically-activated shutters, where the earlier units had mechanical shutters, cocked by pushing the big lever (and advancing the film too).

What you need is a ULD. Some on eBAY; B+H want $2K+! Unsure if the ULD was ever made for the RB (would be cheaper perhaps).
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:40 am »

John:  Here are photos with the 50mm. That's about 28mm equivalent with a 35mm camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/50mm/

Here are all my RB67 shots.  Most are probably the 90mm lens as I had it first before getting other lenses.  It shoots "normal" equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera.  There are some 180mm and 360mm too.

Landscape http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625476289859/
People: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625602231872/

You'll get a lot of good exercise with this camera setup.  Don't forget a heavy tripod and a cable release for mirror-up sharp pictures.  Good luck. Alan.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:24:35 am »

John:  Here are photos with the 50mm. That's about 28mm equivalent with a 35mm camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/50mm/

Here are all my RB67 shots.  Most are probably the 90mm lens as I had it first before getting other lenses.  It shoots "normal" equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera.  There are some 180mm and 360mm too.

Landscape http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625476289859/
People: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625602231872/

You'll get a lot of good exercise with this camera setup.  Don't forget a heavy tripod and a cable release for mirror-up sharp pictures.  Good luck. Alan.

Alan, I REALLY appreciate your information.  That helped me a lot.  If that is the lens I originally listed I see nothing wrong with those images at all.  Fantastic work by the way the lighthouse shot is excellent.  I don't expect I will haul this system to some of the places I photograph (especially in addition to the 35 or so pounds of equipment I already carry), but I do want to use it at opportune times.  I really miss shooting transparency and I think learning to use this system and shooting film again will be a blast.

If you look at my flickr stream (I added you as a contact) you will see I work with an ultra-wide a lot in my landscapes.  I think the Zeiss 21 spends more time on my camera than any other lens I own easily.  The 50mm focal length on MF will work nicely for me, especially to see how deep into this I want to get.  Thank you again!
John
Flickr

Michael Nelson

• Michael Nelson Studio
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:30:09 am »

John,

I've owned/used the RZ system since the 90's and I still use it. It is a very good camera system! I have the 65, 90, 110, 150, 180 and 250mm lens. They are VERY good lens...

I would buy the RZ/RZ lens instead of the RB.

I have seen RZ's with two or three lens on CraigsList for $750.00, in excellent condition.

The RZ system is big, heavy and BIG...Did i mention it is a very good system:)

Keep us posted on your decision.

Michael/Atlanta
(two images shot with the RZ on film)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:32:22 am by Michael Nelson »
Michael Nelson
www.michaelnelson.com

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:36 pm »

John,

I've owned/used the RZ system since the 90's and I still use it. It is a very good camera system! I have the 65, 90, 110, 150, 180 and 250mm lens. They are VERY good lens...

I would buy the RZ/RZ lens instead of the RB.

I have seen RZ's with two or three lens on CraigsList for $750.00, in excellent condition.

The RZ system is big, heavy and BIG...Did i mention it is a very good system:)

Keep us posted on your decision.

Michael/Atlanta
(two images shot with the RZ on film)

Michael,

Thank you for your response.  I have actually ordered the system as outlined above.  The 50mm is not the ULD model but is the W model which I believe to be the Z" lens.  From what I can determine the RB lenses did not have the W designation.  In any event, this will get me started.

I also called Really Right Stuff and got a mounting plate on the way, and ordered some Provia 100F, mirror-up release from B&H.  I'm on a business trip at the moment but everything should be there for me to play with when I return later this week. :)  Hmmm...  what I did not do is make plans for batteries.  Are they easy to source?

I know it's a big system but that's okay, I tend to carry around a fair amount of equipment anyway.  I don't think I'll be taking this on any week long treks, but there are a few places I would like to set it up for some shots.

Incidentally, those are beautiful shots you attached.  Very very nice.  I've done a little model/fashion photography but not a lot and certainly not of the quality those exhibit.  My main focus is landscapes/nature. 

Thanks again!

I also notice you're in the same part of the world. :)  I live just up the road from you outside Gainesville, GA.

I'll let you know what happens when I get my
John
Flickr

Michael Nelson

• Michael Nelson Studio
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 07:43:56 pm »

Landscapes/nature? Hey, I've got landscapes & nature:)

Any camera store or Walmart will have the 6v 'round' battery. Just take it out after use...

I will happy to answer questions on the RZ, if needed.

Michael
additional images shot with the RZ on negative film.
Michael Nelson
www.michaelnelson.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

My view would be that if you are going to scan with a flatbed scanner, then a 4x5 camera with 6x9 film back might be a better option.

- you will have the potential to go larger when needed,
- you have all the power of movements,
- it won't be much more expensive, nor much heavier.

A quick search on ebay came up with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachihara-VW45FC-Film-Camera-Complete-Kit-/160681337547?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item25695aa2cb

Cheers,
Bernard

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:53 am »

Landscapes/nature? Hey, I've got landscapes & nature:)

Any camera store or Walmart will have the 6v 'round' battery. Just take it out after use...

I will happy to answer questions on the RZ, if needed.

Michael
additional images shot with the RZ on negative film.

Very nice, and thanks for the battery info.  I just checked it looks like my body/etc. is being delivered today..but I won't see it till late Thursday evening.  I'm pretty excited, even more than getting a new lens :D

Nice looking images you have there. Do you shoot transparencies at all?  Also, feel free to take a look at some of my 35mm work if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cothronphoto/

Thanks!
John
Flickr

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:10 am »

My view would be that if you are going to scan with a flatbed scanner, then a 4x5 camera with 6x9 film back might be a better option.

- you will have the potential to go larger when needed,
- you have all the power of movements,
- it won't be much more expensive, nor much heavier.

A quick search on ebay came up with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachihara-VW45FC-Film-Camera-Complete-Kit-/160681337547?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item25695aa2cb

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,

I appreciate the direction of thought.  I indeed have considered getting into even larger format and may do so yet.  I think I will enjoy the progression of moving up in size.  One, just to shoot film again will be pretty exciting (although nothing has stopped me from shooting 35mm film).  Two, I use to lust a lot over MF equipment so I suppose that is the first place my mind went.  In any event, I have the equipment on the way so we will see where it goes.  It would indeed be interesting to work with sheet film.  I have a buddy that does and he seems to enjoy it.
John
Flickr

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 07:38:22 pm »

UPDATE:  I received my RZ67 late last week.  Never having shot MF before, I must say the difference in working with the equipment is quite large.  Pleasant, but large.  The first time you look through that huge viewfinder is somewhat special :) 

I've only shot one roll through the camera thusfar (Provia 100F).  I should have those back mid-week or perhaps very early next week.  I'm quite curious to see the results. 

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and advice.
John
Flickr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

Don't judge yourself too harshly if the first roll is awful (this is a comment made in general - not specific or derogatory to you in any way). Switching formats is a large change and it's bound to take some time to get the technicals right, and even longer to get the technicals so under-foot that you stop thinking about them and fully focus on the aesthetics/mood/emotion/composition etc that really make great images.

The first several rolls are often technically imperfect (or worse), unimaginative, and uninspiring. That's to be expected.

Then again some people just pick it right up and can change formats, cameras, and lenses all in one go and start producing amazing work right away.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »

Don't judge yourself too harshly if the first roll is awful (this is a comment made in general - not specific or derogatory to you in any way). Switching formats is a large change and it's bound to take some time to get the technicals right, and even longer to get the technicals so under-foot that you stop thinking about them and fully focus on the aesthetics/mood/emotion/composition etc that really make great images.

The first several rolls are often technically imperfect (or worse), unimaginative, and uninspiring. That's to be expected.

Then again some people just pick it right up and can change formats, cameras, and lenses all in one go and start producing amazing work right away.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Thanks Doug,

Some of what you say certainly rings true.  I looked through the viewfinder and thought.. what do I do with all this????? lol  The first roll is a test roll in most respects.  In fact 5 of the ten shots are just playing around the house.  I did take five exposures at a waterfall early Saturday morning.  Of those I think one comp has some hope of being special but we will see.  Not one to put all my eggs in one basket, I spent an hour shooting it 35mm digital before I got the Mamiya out. 

I fully expect it to be a learning (and re-learning in some aspects) process.  That is part of the reason I'm excited about it. 
John
Flickr

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 07:25:54 am »

Back in the day when teaching film shooting was not uncommon, we used to take rolls just focusing on technique: one for just working on composition, one for backlit shots, another for checking the meter in odd situations, how slow can you hand hold, etc. Even went so far as to practice shooting without film (now that's tricky, but actually useful: you really do learn something). Then you can evaluate each roll for that skill.

Push the envelope with practice rolls and the skill level will be up for the great shot that wanders by.
Geoff

mazen

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:56 pm »

Don't forget the film! :)  enjoy

since u shoot inside forests with waterfalls, u might need a warm-up glass for shady landscapes to keep the organic characteristics of film instead of warming up digitally. i look forward to see the first scans. enjoy again
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:19:39 pm by mazen »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »

Thank you, and yes you are definitely correct.  I thought about that as I was exposing that first roll last Saturday morning under very "cool" conditions.  I expect my transparencies will look somewhat off but we will see. 
John
Flickr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up