Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing large photo using z3200  (Read 1607 times)

lighthunter

printing large photo using z3200
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:46:19 am »

hi all
if i have a 12mp photo and i want to print it on A0 photo paper or canvas as good as possile what should i do
shall i enlarge it using enlargment software then print it
or let my printer do the job ?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: printing large photo using z3200
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »

Hello,

Hello,

I was testing that a few weeks ago and we had a nice chat about that here on the forum. Check the post http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=58368.0

12mp on A0 would be something like 90 PPI if you donĀ“t upsample, a bit too few in my opinion. I would print it from LR upsampling during the print to 300 PPI with print sharpening.
But you should print test stripes and see what is best for your image.

Best regards.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

Q-Image on that machine works great, for resampling on the fly. It is for Windows only though.

lighthunter

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:17:46 am »

Thanks alot guyes
i read the posts about print reselutions
My Question is  shall use programs like benvista  PhotoZoom Pro 4 and upsize my image to  become 300dpi @ A0 then print it
or light room or printer driver will do that fine ?
i think there is defferant algorithms in LR & Printer & benvista  PhotoZoom Pro 4 so this leads to differant IQ

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:24:18 am »

Thanks alot guyes
i read the posts about print reselutions
My Question is  shall use programs like benvista  PhotoZoom Pro 4 and upsize my image to  become 300dpi @ A0 then print it
or light room or printer driver will do that fine ?
i think there is defferant algorithms in LR & Printer & benvista  PhotoZoom Pro 4 so this leads to differant IQ

Depending a bit on the actual image, I expect that Photozoom Pro will deliver a much better result because it can create resolution where there is none to begin with. Whether that looks good depends on the image content and the amount of restraint that one uses in enhancing edges. The fact that it allows to sharpen after the resizing, and can add noise at the output size to avoid overly smooth textures will also be helpful.

Just download the trial, it adds watermarks in the resized image but is AFAIK otherwise fully functional.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:01 pm »

And you think the results are better than using Q-Image or Lightroom at a lower resolution (and not upsampling at all or very little if the file is not quite to 150 ppi) and letting the printer do the resampling?

I've always found the best results for printing say 30x40 or 40x60 prints on gloss papers, etc, from a say 5D M2 file, with the Z3100 by sending them to the printer at 150 ppi, letting Q-Image or Lighroom do the output sharpening.

My experience is that upsampling when the file comes to 150 ppi or higher at output size is a bad idea, but I'm open to trying new things.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up