Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A trip where my GPS doesn't know the road  (Read 18309 times)

OnlyNorth

A trip where my GPS doesn't know the road
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:14 am »

Hi,
To travel in East Europe is not so easily.From Bucharest,Romania, to Bulgaria the road is good enough with two lane on sense but there is no traffic indicator with Bulgarian border.So if someone has not a GPS receiver he must look for Giurgiu indicator.In the nearness of Giurgiu a small indicator shows the road to the border.At the border I paid Romanian bridge tax(25 RON which means almost 6 Euros,at returning from Bulgaria I paid 2 Euros only).Then as slow as a snail I cross the Danube river
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:34:24 pm by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

Re: A trip where my GPS doesn't know the road
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:43:40 am »

On the Bulgarian bank there is a town named Ruse.The road goes to South toward the Rhodope mountains.Here in Ruse it have to pay the road tax(vignette).I avoided local currency paying with a credit card-Visa and Master Card are always available-at official change rate.Sometimes in the nearness of the towns the road are two lane on sense and it can avoid the center.This seems to be  rather an exception than the rule(like in Romania,of course).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:46:30 am by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:21 am »

From Ruse to Plovdiv(the second largest town of Bulgaria) Turkish drivers make the rule!

OnlyNorth

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:07:02 am »

This road which goes to Turkish border and Istanbul is busy and narrow one and as you could see the unknown pieces of the road begun to appear.

OnlyNorth

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05:21 am »

Slowly the landscape is changing and mountains appear.

OnlyNorth

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10:54 pm »

and the road gets more dangerously with many curves.

OnlyNorth

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:31 am »

I booked a double-bed room at a hotel with parking-car in Plovdiv on a street  known by my Garmin GPS.I found one with air-conditioner and shower for 31 Euro/night with breakfast included.All seemed to be right...on paper.When I arrived the bedclothes were unchanged and the air-conditioner worked as fun only.I asked another room and then all seemed to be  right.At the reception there were no city maps or descriptions of cultural sites so we,walked around only.The TV in Bulgarian was not interested for us so being tired my wife and me got to sleep.Below you could see one of the Plovdiv entrance.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:10:12 am by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:13:39 pm »

In the morning,at breakfast,three or four tables were occupied.No seeds,no fruits,bread only with eggs fried together with white or yellow cheese put over.I  forgot a black cofee for me and a tea for my wife.Of course I was prepared for such kind of trip with drink water and fruits.After we finished to eat I drove toward Bachkovo Monastery.The road passes through Assenovgrad(the town of Assen).Here there are,on a hill,the ruins of a fortress from 13th century used by Tsar Assen the Second in the struggles with Byzantine Empire.
(Merry Christmas!)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 02:02:52 am by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

A small sign indicated the car-road toward Assen fortress.The  place of the ruins is not surrounded with a fence,there is no entrance gate,no tickets-office,no notification about the value of a ticket.There was a "he" and...a "she" who ask me for 1.5 Euros/person.After I asked their accreditation they became nervously running towards us to hit.I took off my against animals big spray and they stopped and became quietly.So we renounced to visit  the ruins because to call the police is not the rightest solution in Bulgaria,on a peak of a hill through the ruins without other tourists around.Below is an image from the road toward the ruins
(A HAPPY NEW YEAR)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:16:28 pm by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

After such event I returned to the road toward Bachkovo and in short time I arrived.Because was early in the morning the parking-car was empty and for 0.50 Euros(1 Lev) I left the car all day.The road to monastery was full,on both sides,of kiosks where the visitors find souvenirs,traditional sweets,sausages,and so on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:57:14 pm by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:17:41 am »

Grigorii Bakuriani(in Bulgarian language)is the same with Georgian-Armenian Prince Grigor Pakurian,a military commander in the Byzantine Empire service at 11th century.He participated at a coup to remove the Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros III.The new emperor gave him many properties in Balkans.He ruled the Theme of Iberia(a territory which now gets to Armenia and Georgia).He built Bachkovo Monastery(it could mean,probably,monastery of Bakuriani,the similitude between Bachkovo and Bakuriani being visible) and gave it to Iberian monks.At the entrance of  the monastery a small notification says to the tourists that using the cameras is prohibited.In many churches from Orthodox Christian World is prohibited to use the camera during the divine service as a form of respect.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:59:07 pm by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:10 am »

Over the entrance is written"Stavropigia SvBogoroditsa"Stavropegia or Stavropigia says to visitors that this monastery is directly under patriarch rule,Sv Bogoroditsa means The Holy Mother Of the God.About the origin of Grigorii Bakuriani it is generally accepted he was Georgian although he signed in both Georgian and Armenian languages but never in Greek.He was buried here in Bachkovo

OnlyNorth

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »

Due to my involving in the political events of the year 2012,by photography,of course,I interrupted this story of the short trip where my GPS didn't know the road.In any photographs I should try to show you why,although this kind of shots are not what LUMINOUS LANDSCAPE means,excuse me for that!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:52:56 pm by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »

Those events were over,for a moment,on December 9th,when a new political force took the power.

OnlyNorth

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »

Being accepted or not,my excuses,I wish to you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

OnlyNorth

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:49:41 pm »

Of course is hard to believe that the arrival of Georgian monks from byzantine Iberia has no link with the conquering of Iberia Theme by Seljuk Turks in 1o68.In fact it can say that in 11th century begun the migration of Georgians and Armenians toward East and Central Europe and then in West Europe and farther,this monastery being one of the first sign of their passing.They ruled the monastery until 13th c.when they lost the domination in the favor of Bulgarians but Georgian tradition was kept.The Ottoman Turks burned and destroyed the monastery which was rebuilt in the beginning of the 17th c.in the present form

OnlyNorth

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:00 pm »

When a foreigner visits such place(being pilgrim or visitor only) the need to take photos is active.There are many holy places where to take shots is free of charge or a small tax is asked.At Bachkovo,all shots are prohibited.There are many observers-not only monks-who stop every movement which could mean to photograph.Of course when the camera is a big one,to move gets harder.when I took this image which shows you a quiet place with a nun of  Missionaries of Charity Order visiting this place,there was a monk behind me,on the floor,who cries at an civil observer to watch me carefully (they didn't know I understood Bulgarian a few). My first impulse was to shot both of them looking and crying at me but my wife strongly opposed, reminded me that our goal was to pray.I don't dare to advise you about taking shots in such conditions but,however,I tell you what I did:didn't lift the camera to the eyes,discover the observers or surveillance cameras,take a distance from them because the noise of camera could be detected,use a remote control from the pocket,use a wide angle lens.If these are not enough then a mobile phone is a good help.     

OnlyNorth

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:56 am »

There is a difference between the meaning of "decent dressed"on the street and in the Orthodox church or monastery.Here in Bachkovo - where to photograph is prohibited - it is not.One of the reason of such prohibition could be to... protect the image of the visitors!!?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:23:34 am by OnlyNorth »

OnlyNorth

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 10:39:11 am »

Being brought in the front of the truth I had to concede that this faithful girls are looking rather for a seclusion into a monastery than into a swimming pool

OnlyNorth

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 05:42:26 am »

Then,we left the monastery,going for a walk in the neighborhood.We found a not too steep road to a cascade and a cave which slowly became more a pass through the wood(one hour to walk)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:51:29 am by OnlyNorth »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up