Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to C1 question about exporting  (Read 4134 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
New to C1 question about exporting
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »

So I finally got my 645DF and IQ180 and its amazing and everything I expected it to be...but capture one is stumping me....I figured out that once you import files you can do all the exposure edits and whatever which is cool great fine and all that. But then I get to exporting a file I can use in photoshop...and things get me wary confused.

so I'm inclined to use a tiff, that far I can get. Then it asks me about the bits, do I want 8 or 16 bit? I'm sorry I own an IQ180 and I don't understand this, but I don't so thats my first question: what bit rate do I want?

compression I suppose I dont want any, and ICC profile, adobe RGB has served me fine in the past....then the next question,

resolution in px/in because I'm a imperial kinda guy, do I want bigger then 300 resolution output? I don't know thats why I'm asking

and SCALE is the real stumper, 100% scale....is that a normal file? because it seems on the small size when output, the 250% largest it can go seems like what I was expected but those files are 1.5gb and that makes no sense to me.

and whats the sharpening disable thing?

can someone please help me, I get everything else on a basic level but this has me utterly stumped, thank you and I'll love you for ever,

please no wise cracks about the camera and not knowing these things they aren't helpful. thanks,

BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

craigwashburn

Re: New to C1 question about exporting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:23:00 pm »

So I finally got my 645DF and IQ180 and its amazing and everything I expected it to be...but capture one is stumping me....I figured out that once you import files you can do all the exposure edits and whatever which is cool great fine and all that. But then I get to exporting a file I can use in photoshop...and things get me wary confused.

so I'm inclined to use a tiff, that far I can get. Then it asks me about the bits, do I want 8 or 16 bit? I'm sorry I own an IQ180 and I don't understand this, but I don't so thats my first question: what bit rate do I want?

compression I suppose I dont want any, and ICC profile, adobe RGB has served me fine in the past....then the next question,

resolution in px/in because I'm a imperial kinda guy, do I want bigger then 300 resolution output? I don't know thats why I'm asking

and SCALE is the real stumper, 100% scale....is that a normal file? because it seems on the small size when output, the 250% largest it can go seems like what I was expected but those files are 1.5gb and that makes no sense to me.

and whats the sharpening disable thing?

can someone please help me, I get everything else on a basic level but this has me utterly stumped, thank you and I'll love you for ever,

please no wise cracks about the camera and not knowing these things they aren't helpful. thanks,

BH

16 bits doubles your file size, but gives you the most tonal latitude for later retouching.  If you have a 180 (or any modern camera), might as well take advantage of the depth available.  Compression is not bad, I usually ZIP compress 16 bit images to save some space as it is lossless, though it may add some time to process.

Scale is relative to native resolution.  100% is the native size of the image produced.  Larger numbers require interpolating data.

Resolution in px/in is useful if you have a specific output medium in mind.  300 is a typical dpi for print.  If you're going to photoshop, don't worry about it.

Disabling sharpening turns off any sharpening settings you have set in capture one.  I use C1 for pre-sharpening, so I would not recommend disabling it unless you have some kind of further sharpening in the retouch workflow.  This is handy in some operations like a commercial shoot needs sharpening for preview purposes, but at final output the retoucher or pre-press will take care of it.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:00 pm »

Thank you!
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:49:48 pm »

You might also consider using ProPhoto instead of aRGB.  IIRC, some inkjet printers can take advantage of the wider color space.

Paul

mediumcool

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:29:25 am »

You might also consider using ProPhoto instead of aRGB.  IIRC, some inkjet printers can take advantage of the wider color space.

Paul

+1
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Pics2

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:27 pm »

BH
I use Embed Camera profile for ICC profile. I keep it that way during editing etc. Only when I prepare the file to the output (Web, print, CMYK, client, etc), I convert it from camera profile to Adobe RGB, ProPhoto or whatever you want.
This was recommended by Phase One users a long time ago, since v3. I still do it that way, I don't know if it's any help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up