Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?  (Read 35265 times)

Farmer

Re: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »

Price gouging?  Really?  What nonsense.  They set a price.  The market either pays it or they don't.  If the product is in enough demand, it will be paid for, if it's not, it won't.  That's market pricing, not gouging.  You don't need to use Photoshop, but for a lot of people it is the best option.  If there were no alternative at all, then perhaps you'd have a point, but there are many alternatives.  That they are considered to be not as good by many people is not Adobe's fault, unless you blame them for making a superior product?

Like everyone else, I prefer to pay as little as possible for something (taking into consideration all aspects of the purchase, including after sales support and so on), but I don't begrudge anyone for charging what they think their product or service is worth.  I then have the option of buying or not.  Sure, it's fine to communicate to the vendor if I'm not happy with the price, but I don't believe I have any right to expect them to set the price the way I want it.  The upgrade policy used to be significantly better than most of the market - now it looks like they're bringing things back to be more in line with most of the market.  Such is life.  But it or don't.
Phil Brown

JBerardi

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »

Price gouging?  Really?  What nonsense.  They set a price.  The market either pays it or they don't.  If the product is in enough demand, it will be paid for, if it's not, it won't.  That's market pricing, not gouging.  You don't need to use Photoshop, but for a lot of people it is the best option.  If there were no alternative at all, then perhaps you'd have a point, but there are many alternatives.  That they are considered to be not as good by many people is not Adobe's fault, unless you blame them for making a superior product?

Like everyone else, I prefer to pay as little as possible for something (taking into consideration all aspects of the purchase, including after sales support and so on), but I don't begrudge anyone for charging what they think their product or service is worth.  I then have the option of buying or not.  Sure, it's fine to communicate to the vendor if I'm not happy with the price, but I don't believe I have any right to expect them to set the price the way I want it.  The upgrade policy used to be significantly better than most of the market - now it looks like they're bringing things back to be more in line with most of the market.  Such is life.  But it or don't.

I don't really dispute any of that. It doesn't change my mind that what Adobe is doing in regards to their pricing structure is bad for their customers and ultimately it's going to be bad for them. If the stock starts recovering and they stop laying off large chunks of their workforce, I'll be wrong and that'll be great. But right now this looks to me like a company that's been going backwards and that will to continue to go backwards for the foreseeable future.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2011, 06:07:27 pm »

Go and re-read what I wrote before throwing a fit.

Farmer

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »

I did, and I'm not throwing a fit, but when you start tossing around terms like price gouging I think it's just silly - it's nothing of the sort.
Phil Brown

feppe

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »

I did, and I'm not throwing a fit, but when you start tossing around terms like price gouging I think it's just silly - it's nothing of the sort.

I qualified such statements with ifs and perhapses, and the mention of "near" monopoly. The world is not a black-and-white place like many darkroom guys would prefer.

daws

Re: Is the new plan anything more than greed?
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »

Trust my workflow to a monthly subscription? Not a chance. Not even if it were free.

...I'd be willing to bet that if Adobe does this, Nik, or some other outfit will hustle to fill the yawning gap Adobe's going to leave behind.

Bingo. CS5 will serve us well for several years at least. More than enough time for Developer X to fill Adobe's increasingly narrow shoes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:51:22 pm by daws »

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:00 pm »

Hello again everyone, thought you would be interested in the new article we just published on the policy change.   Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

Adobe’s New Upgrade Policy for CS6: What Does It Mean for You? [Poll]

Steve House

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:07 am »

I do not like the idea at all.  I also am one of the users who typically upgrade every other version. I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5 this month.

I really am against having a "subscription" to software.  But, I am not a working professional.  If I were a working pro, then it probably would not matter as much...or even matter at all.

I always would rather purchase something than to "rent" it.  A subscription is renting. 

On the contrary, a working pro is dependent on 100% up-time.  Anything that requires constant connection to the network and/or periodic re-authorization represents increased risk of system failure at a crucial moment, resulting in the potential loss of the project..

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 09:26:43 am »

On the contrary, a working pro is dependent on 100% up-time.  Anything that requires constant connection to the network and/or periodic re-authorization represents increased risk of system failure at a crucial moment, resulting in the potential loss of the project..

I agree with you, eliminating as many loss causing valuables is paramount.  Do you do agree that you always have a risk of failure at a crucial moment?  The risk is always there.  The loss of an internet connection would not have shut me down when I was still a working pro.  I always had a plan B.  I would still have my version of CS5 on my workstation.  I would not depend on the internet to have Photoshop.  I also would never depend on the internet for sole storage of a project.

I was not aware that the next version of Photoshop would require a constant network connection.  And, how would not re-authorizing Photoshop cause an increased risk of system failure at any moment?

feppe

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:06 pm »

I was not aware that the next version of Photoshop would require a constant network connection.

It's FUD: it doesn't require constant network connection, and neither does the subscription model which only requires monthly online re-activation - and I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe will have phone activation soon like MS does with Windows.

Steve House

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »

I agree with you, eliminating as many loss causing valuables is paramount.  Do you do agree that you always have a risk of failure at a crucial moment?  The risk is always there.  The loss of an internet connection would not have shut me down when I was still a working pro.  I always had a plan B.  I would still have my version of CS5 on my workstation.  I would not depend on the internet to have Photoshop.  I also would never depend on the internet for sole storage of a project.

I was not aware that the next version of Photoshop would require a constant network connection.  And, how would not re-authorizing Photoshop cause an increased risk of system failure at any moment?
Doubtful that it will require a constant web connection but it certainly will need to be connected when the rental software performs its periodic authorization and will one be to say with any certainty exactly when that will occur? And if one is storing one's files on the Cloud, a web connection will certainly be required any time you need to access them.  The Cloud model for actual software (Office 365 Live, for example, in contrast to rental such as Photoshop's licensing scheme) turns the user's PC into a mere smart terminal and in those cases the software DOES depend on having a constant internet connection, it won't function without it.

NigelC

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2011, 06:23:20 pm »

For me this change is infuriating. I upgraded from PS7 to CS2 and then to CS5. I was tempted to buy Lightroom by a half price offer and the fact that its cheaper than PS to upgrade, thinking in future I would upgrade LR regularly and PS when absolutely necessary. No way am I going to upgrade PS every time a new version comes out. I will either do one last upgrade to CS6, depending on price, and that's it, or stick with CS5 for good. I will probably increasingly look to other software to do specific things beyond LR capabilities e.g stitching, HDR. It will be interesting to see how far future versions of GIMP will meet the needs of those who don't need PS that often.

feppe

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:13 pm »

It will be interesting to see how far future versions of GIMP will meet the needs of those who don't need PS that often.

GIMP does pretty much everything PS does already, and does some things earlier and better than PS - for example, GIMP had content-aware fill years before PS did. GIMP's main shortcoming is lack of 16-bit editing, but 3.0 will fix that. Although no release date has been given, I suspect it'll be around CS 6.

RFPhotography

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2011, 11:13:10 pm »

The GIMP is still lacking in colour management, isn't it?  That's a significant shortcoming.  I'm guessing it probably doesn't have anything like Smart Objects or image stacks?  How's the UFRaw interface compared with ACR?

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2011, 02:25:26 am »

Maybe I'm one of the few in these parts that uses Bibble Pro, but their upgrade pricing is really very reasonable. Since 2006 I've upgraded twice, from the "lite" to the "pro" version, and then from version 4 to 5. The value of doing so has been remarkable compared to Photoshop. During that time it's supported a bunch of new cameras and added a considerable number of helpful and productive features.  And you can use it on more than one type of OS with the same license, which is rare.

The biggest downside is that it's hardly ever mentioned in product tutorials, like the From Camera to Print and Screen. And it lacks in some other respects too, like plugins from the big names. For instance if the Nik U-point technology were integrated into it's powerful layer feature, it would be mighty tough to beat.

NigelC

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2011, 05:12:22 am »

The GIMP is still lacking in colour management, isn't it?  That's a significant shortcoming.  I'm guessing it probably doesn't have anything like Smart Objects or image stacks?  How's the UFRaw interface compared with ACR?

I wasn't thinking of using it for raw conversion - how would lack of colour management impact on exporting a "developed" file as a TIFF (say) from Lightroom to GIMP to work on and then gonig back to LR for the print module?

feppe

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »

I don't know, I haven't used it in a while, but looks like I will be soon. Don't know about Smart Objects or image stacks. GIMP does have color management, though.

RFPhotography

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

OK, that's new.  It didn't the last time I looked at it.  Looks like the UI has been improved a fair bit too.  Nice.

feppe

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:43 pm »

OK, that's new.  It didn't the last time I looked at it.  Looks like the UI has been improved a fair bit too.  Nice.

Yeah, that was other my deal breaker last time I looked at it, also. The other one was/is 16-bit editing, but thankfully that's going to be addressed.

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:11 pm »

Breaking (good) news!  Big reversal on Adobe CS6 upgrade policy that should make everyone happy ...

Adobe Listens, Postpones CS6 Upgrade Policy Changes — CS3 & CS4 on Track

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up