Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?  (Read 35261 times)

Paul Sumi

PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html?PID=2159997

Not sure I'm reading this Adobe blog article correctly, but it looks like Adobe's upgrade discount price will now be available only one version back, instead of the current 3.  In other words, if you want to get PS CS 6 at a discount when it comes out, you will have to own PS CS 5 or 5.5.

The following is from the second-to-last paragraph:

"For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6."

I have been upgrading every other generation, but looks like this'll force me to update every generation  :(

RFPhotography

Re: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:54:56 pm »

Sounds like Adobe is really making a push into cloud computing.  Their new Carousel phone/tablet app is another example.  Pricing on it is more than a bit absurd as well; for something of dubious value.  Syncing media to and from a device really isn't that onerous a task.  $600/year is a pretty hefty price to pay if all you want is Photoshop.  But it seems as though they may be making it punitive to keep the standalone version in an effort to try to force users into the cloud arrangement. 

Not at all a customer friendly move.  But what's the alternative?  Adobe knows that there really aren't any so people will have to bend over the desk and take it with one approach or the other. 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:01 pm »

If they do get soft proofing into the next LightRoom, I'll probably stick with my current CS5 for many years.

If they try to force LR into the cloud, too, I'll probably quit doing photography and take up something less expensive, like racing America's Cup yachts.

Eric   :'(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:22:11 am »

If they try to force LR into the cloud, too, I'll probably quit doing photography and take up something less expensive, like racing America's Cup yachts.

;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:50 pm »

If they keep pushing it they may end up with the same problem Netflix has at the moment.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

Not sure I'm reading this Adobe blog article correctly, but...

Yes Paul, you did read it correctly and it's true - Adobe will be instituting a revised upgrade policy for the Creative Suite line of products...  But Lightroom remains unaffected on upgrades, as far as we know.  

However, it may interest you to know that (a desktop version of) Lightroom is included as part of Adobe's new Creative Cloud software set, per CTO Kevin Lynch.  

No word yet on whether yacht racing is included.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:56:26 pm by ProDesignTools »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Is the new plan anything more than greed?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:40:51 am »

This way they can do minimal upgrades to programs and continue to charge the upgrade fee, but now force users to pay it every upgrade cycle...I had CS3 Photoshop and saw no reason for me, personally, to buy CS4...but I saw many improvements that would help my workflow in CS5 Photoshop, so I bought that upgrade...I don't like 'choice', even when it's minimal, being taken away from me...

I still have both Illustrator and Indesign in CS3 versions...I was going to upgrade both for CS6, but now I'm going to have to rethink my plan. My initial reaction is to upgrade Indesign to CS5...I need a good layout program, but it'll probably be the last upgrade I buy for it. I think I'll stick with Illustrator CS3 and just never upgrade it again. The last few years I haven't been using it much.

I have CS5 so I'll wait till the end of CS6 availability to buy the upgrade unless Adobe offers some incredible new features that I can't live without. I love Photoshop. Been using it since the early 1990's around version 1.8 or so. Version CS5 of Photoshop is sweet. Would hate to have to use something else, but I'm going to start investigating my options. I'm also using and loving Lightroom. Fingers crossed they don't screw with that, but I have serious doubts now.

In this time of economic hardship all over the planet Adobe seems just plain greedy. I'd like to hear the 'positive' side to all this from someone. Ok, it'll fill the bank accounts for some at Adobe. Anything else? I work as a freelance using programs I need to satisfy client demand. I don't need 'cloud' anything to get my work done.

So, what happens now, if I don't buy the CS6 Photoshop upgrade now (spring 2012 or whenever) and I want to buy the CS7 upgrade I have to pay the price to buy Photoshop, the complete program, again? I've been upgrading for about 20 years now. I guess I've bought the whole program, in terms of cost, several times over. The accountants at Adobe must feel that isn't enough. It's hard times at Adobe I guess.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:48:13 am »

If they keep pushing it they may end up with the same problem Netflix has at the moment.

I'm not familiar with Netflix and their problem...would you have a link to some news item or something about it please...just curious...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 06:52:42 am »

Hi, Morris. Much as I hate to post a link to the Huffington Post, here's the first article that jumps out at me: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/netflix-price-increase-subscriber-loss_n_964026.html. Netflix used to give a subscriber DVDs and streaming movies under a single, quite reasonable price plan. Then they split the DVD rental from the streaming subscription and raised their prices. As a result they lost enough customers that they're having to backtrack on the whole thing. I think splitting the subscriptions was the right thing to do, but their timing was terrible. I think Adobe's timing is terrible too.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:27 am »

Thanks for the link Russ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:49:47 am »

I have been upgrading roughly every other version, whenever the new goodies look as if they will make a big difference to me. In the future I expect I will wait until the cost of a complete new version is less than the total cost of the upgrades that I will have skipped.

Eric

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:14:00 am »

I upgrade only when forced to - last time it was because of the latest LR changes not pulling over to CS4.

graeme

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:19:28 am »

I'm another who generally upgrades photoshop every other update ( ie. CS3 to CS5 ). I've been using PS since version 5.5 ( I'm also using Illustrator ). This change to the upgrade path is bad news for me. It feels like a company with a virtual monopoly getting very greedy and arrogant*. ( Remember Quark ).

Graeme

* No disrespect to the guys who write the software at Adobe

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

* No disrespect to the guys who write the software at Adobe
My sense is that the folks who write the software bust their guts to make is as good as possible, while the folk$ in Marketing and $ale$ have other intere$t$.     ::)

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »

Hmmm, if they were "greedy" then you wouldn't get any upgrade path.  For those who are using the software professionally, what percentage of your revenue does the expenditure represent (taking into account any tax offsets)?

I'm not suggesting you can't complain or that you shouldn't ask Adobe to consider keeping the current model (or moving to another one entirely that you may propose), but I think it's a little disingenius to start suggesting that they're greedy or some such.  There are significant costs involved in producing, maintaining and supporting each version - if they feel they're not generating enough revenue then they need to change their business model.

Again, I'd look at the actual ROI and make the decision accordingly, and put the costs into a proper perspective.

For those who are not professionals, then it's a luxury item and you choose to buy or not accordingly.  It's not as though this new policy is unusual in the software world.
Phil Brown

Robert.D

• Inspiration_in_print.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »

Looking like more Photographers will be abandoning Photoshop especially with the new release of OnOnes perfect layers (Plugin or stand alone) combined with Lightroom, cant do everything but what a grate start .

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »

It is a complex problem. Stopping upgrading is simply not an option because the whole underlying stack, starting with the OS keeps moving forward.

The movement is in fact accelerating on the windows side to get closer to a 1.5-2 years release cycle similar to Apple. You want to buy a new Mac? It is going to ship with the latest OS for sure. If you have a bit of IT skills, you might be able to downgrade one generation of OS, maybe 2? Considering the way OSX is evolving towards iOS, downgrading the OS will probably have become impossible by the time 10.8 or 10.9 ships.

You will be totally stuck if your hardware dies. You will have to use a new OS on which only the last or last 2 versions of Creative Suit run. Since you decided to skip 2 releases because they had zero value for you, you will not be eligible for an upgrade. The failure of your laptop will cost you the price of a full CS purchase...

I am afraid this is where we are headed on OSX, it is a bit less clear on Win side, but they might not be far behind.

Cheers,
Bernard

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
Re: Is the new plan anything more than greed?
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »

I work as a freelance using programs I need to satisfy client demand. I don't need 'cloud' anything to get my work done.

Curious, do others feel the same way?

Because Adobe seems to be making this move to try to incentivize subscriptions to the cloud service, instead of perpetual licenses...  Will it work?

What do you think?  Would love to gather feedback to share directly with the company.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 02:01:19 am »

I do not like the idea at all.  I also am one of the users who typically upgrade every other version. I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5 this month.

I really am against having a "subscription" to software.  But, I am not a working professional.  If I were a working pro, then it probably would not matter as much...or even matter at all.

I always would rather purchase something than to "rent" it.  A subscription is renting. 

RFPhotography

Re: Is the new plan anything more than greed?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 07:30:27 am »

Curious, do others feel the same way?

Because Adobe seems to be making this move to try to incentivize subscriptions to the cloud service, instead of perpetual licenses...  Will it work?

What do you think?  Would love to gather feedback to share directly with the company.

What inside track do you have with Adobe?

WRT the new cloud subscription service, I won't use it.  First because I don't need all of the software applications that I'd be forced to pay for.  Second, I neither need nor want it.  Third, and related to the second point, I don't want to have to rely on an internet connection to edit images.  Fourth, and related to the third point, at this time internet connections aren't fast enough to make it efficient; particularly in the upstream direction. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up