Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibrance, wide gamut and video card  (Read 3414 times)

alex_123

Vibrance, wide gamut and video card
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:27:23 am »

I have two wide gamut monitors and have some feeling that saturation is not so high as standart srgb monitor have. If i change vibrance +8 at video card settings the picture becomes similar to srgb monitor picture. Where is the guarantee that standard vibrance at video card is the real vibrance that monitor can show? Is it normal to change vibrance at video card and after it calibrate monitor?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Vibrance, wide gamut and video card
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

If i change vibrance +8 at video card settings the picture becomes similar to srgb monitor picture.

You really don’t want to be messing with such settings!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:12:53 am »

I have two wide gamut monitors and have some feeling that saturation is not so high as standart srgb monitor have.

Could you elaborate what you're seeing that makes you feel this way about the saturation? How are you making adjustments and on what type of image and software used.

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:47 am »

I have two wide gamut monitors and have some feeling that saturation is not so high as standart srgb monitor have. If i change vibrance +8 at video card settings the picture becomes similar to srgb monitor picture. Where is the guarantee that standard vibrance at video card is the real vibrance that monitor can show? Is it normal to change vibrance at video card and after it calibrate monitor?

I think you need to give more information for any meaningful analysis. Are you on the Mac or a PC and what are your system color settings? Are you viewing the images in a color managed application such as Photoshop?

The operating system needs to have information about how the monitor displays colors, and this is provided by the monitor color profile. However, you have set the monitor profile in the OS.

For Windows7, the first screen capture shows that the system is set up for a generic monitor, probably not what you want. See here for more details.

You want to have the OS set to the proper profile as shown in the second picture below.

How images are displayed with the wrong profile is illustrated by web postings where the image has no embedded profile. To view the image properly in a color managed application, the meaning of the color numbers in the file must be supplied by assigning a profile. As an example the red patch of the ColorChecker has sRGB values of 177, 44, 56. The ProphotoRGB values are 122, 57, 45. The ProPhotoRGB values are smaller because of the wider color space (ignoring the differences in gamma between the two spaces). If you upload a ProPhotoRGB image to the net and it is viewed according to the sRGB numbers, the image will appear unsaturated and washed out. Conversely, if a sRGB image is viewed according to ProPhotoRGB numbers, it will be over-saturated.

You can click on the Understanding Color Settings in the Windows setup page if you are using windows.

Regards,

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up