Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Monitor support on new high-end PC  (Read 7381 times)

beebibi

Multi-Monitor support on new high-end PC
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »

Hi...

I am exploring the possibility of buying a Workstation from Falcon-NW. I will be replacing a 5 year old PC Workstation that is currently running on Windows XP Pro.

I need the system for high-end graphics, image editing and video editing.

I would like to know if anyone out there can help me to understand what I can expect to be able to do on the new Falcon system with regard to color calibration and what you think about my proposed setup for what I want to do.

I will be using three monitors:-

My old 22" EIZO CG220 and as a second monitor I am thinking to get the 24" NEC MultiSync LDC2490WUXi2 for my work
And a as a third monitor my old Dell 190 5 FP (analog)  for my palettes etc.

The main system components I am looking at are:-

Mother board – Rampage III Extreme

Processor – Intel I7 Extreme 990X 3.46GH

Memory – 32 GB DDR3

Video 1 - NVIDIA  Quadro 4000

Video 2 – Ditto

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Apps – Adobe CS5.5, Light Room 3, Bridge, Edius/Canopus (VideoEdit), CaptureOne....
Color Calibration – EyeOne Match 3

I need to be able to cover all three monitors from one mouse and keyboard

I need to be able at least to do color calibration independently for the EIZO and the NEC.

First of all can I do this with the above set-up?

Secondly do I really need  two Video Cards in order to do this?

Do you have other points/options that you think I should consider?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated ...

Best, Bee

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Multi-Monitor support on new high-end PC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:30 pm »

My old 22" EIZO CG220 and as a second monitor I am thinking to get the 24" NEC MultiSync LDC2490WUXi2 for my work
And a as a third monitor my old Dell 190 5 FP (analog)  for my palettes etc. Apps – Adobe CS5.5, Light Room 3, Bridge, Edius/Canopus (VideoEdit), 

I need to be able to cover all three monitors from one mouse and keyboard
I need to be able at least to do color calibration independently for the EIZO and the NEC.
Do you have other points/options that you think I should consider?

Color calibration of two monitors isn't an issue: color management is very much improved in Windows 7. Don't know about the old Analog Dell. Yes, you need two video cards to drive 3 monitors, at least if you want the QUADRO 4000. But driving an old analog Dell with an additional relatively expensive QUADRO 4000 seems a bit curious. Almost anything very cheap will do it. See here for a few pointers.

http://lifehacker.com/5526025/make-the-most-of-your-multiple-monitors-in-windows-7

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:20:44 pm »

Hi...

No.. There are video cards out there which will allow LUT support for 3 monitors, namely the ATI Eyefinity series. But there's more to it than that.  Depending on how much power you want your GPU to add to the equation, what kind of color management software/hardware you want to use, what connections your monitors are equipped with, and so forth.  Keep in mind with ATI Eyefinity series one of your monitors MUST be a Displayport monitor.. or you must use an active DP to DVI or HDMI adapter.. both of which are now fairly inexpensive and available where they weren't before.

Your monitor selections confuses me.  The Eizo I got, you have it already.  The NEC model you quote has been replaced by the PA241w.  The Dell.. it's not in the same realm. 

The NEC is best calibrated with the Spectraview II software and puck using it's internal LUT.  All you'll need is a DVI output, not necessarily one with a video card LUT. 

Video cards use a lot of power, make a lot of noise, a serve as unintentional air-blocks in your case.. impeding thermal air flow.   It would be better to get away with a single card setup if possible. 

When you say "high-end graphics" what do you mean?  How much video editing compared to image editing?

Unless you're doing mostly video editing there is very little advantage to your expensive 990 CPU and it's six cores over the newer 2700k Sandy Bridge with its four cores.   And it uses a good bit of power, generates more heat, and no matter how you look at it.. is several generations old.   Even if you were doing a lot of video editing, if you're not over clocking, the 970 is the better value by far.

It would help if you prioritized your use.  What percentage of video editing and size of your files, what percentage of image editing and file size, and what percentage of "high-end graphics" you'll be doing.

Have you considered building your own? 

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:28:21 pm »

Unless you are doing 3D rendering/OpenGL work there is no need for a workstation class video card, you will not be using the advanced driver features it offers for other applications.  To calibrate as mentioned you need a LUT (Look Up Table) for each monitor output.  Most cards support two per card, but there are some choices that offer three.  Even two low power $100 desktop cards is more than enough.

beebibi

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »

... I am very grateful to you guys that you invested the time to respond and I took full advantage of your inputs, links etc.

I have to do some more homework here and I will let you know eventually what I finally decide on.

Thanks, again...

Best, Bee
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:24:18 pm by beebibi »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:43 pm »

As far as Video - I'd carefully follow Edius'  recommendations. It seems to me that two Quadro 4000's is serious overkill, not to mention thermal issues as Steve mentions; why not pick something reasonable for that Dell?  You certainly don't need a workstation class card to display palettes.....

Also, Win 7 Ultimate is a waste of $$$, I'd recommend Win 7 Home Premium, if you find yourself needing additional capabilities, such as joining a domain, or remote desktop access, you can always upgrade to Win 7 Pro for roughly the price difference on MS's website.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »

As far as Video - I'd carefully follow Edius'  recommendations. It seems to me that two Quadro 4000's is serious overkill, not to mention thermal issues as Steve mentions; why not pick something reasonable for that Dell?  You certainly don't need a workstation class card to display palettes.....

Also, Win 7 Ultimate is a waste of $$$,
I'd recommend Win 7 Home Premium, if you find yourself needing additional capabilities, such as joining a domain, or remote desktop access, you can always upgrade to Win 7 Pro for roughly the price difference on MS's website.

1.  I've had bad luck installing different video cards in a system and getting CS5 to then recognize the advanced video card features.  I think the key question for this guy is how much video work he's doing and if he needs the extra power a video card would provide.   If yes, a 6800 series ATI for all three monitors might make sense, if not a 5000 series ATI for all three would make sense.   Selecting the best video card for a system can be difficult.  Many don't realize how a video card 'fits' into a system.

2.  I'd agree, if you don't need the features don't pay for it.  My systems are all Ultimate because Ultimate allows easy switching of languages.. rather than just a supported keyboard.  It's really handy to have this capability.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »

Steve:  I've tended toward nVidia;  I've never had a problem with CS-5 OpenGL support to date with them.  Adobe has a list of cards that they update frequently:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html

One card that stood out to me was the Quad-4000, which shows Mac only support - go figure.....

The language support requirements you mentioned have can actually be met without Ultimate, or Enterprise.  With Pro you can use Group Policy, with either Home Premium or Pro you can also use Vistalizator:

http://www.froggie.sk/

beebibi

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

My thanks to all of you who helped me with information. I have just ordered a Falcon-NW PC.

Main items included are:

MACH V Chassis
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3960X 3.3GHZ
32 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ RAM
1x NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 GPU
512 GB SSD O/S + APPS
256 GB SSD Scratch
INTEL  RS2BL040 Raid Controller
2x2TB HDDS in Raid 1
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I will let you know how I get on 

Best, Bee

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »

Steve:  I've tended toward nVidia;  I've never had a problem with CS-5 OpenGL support to date with them.  Adobe has a list of cards that they update frequently:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html

One card that stood out to me was the Quad-4000, which shows Mac only support - go figure.....

The language support requirements you mentioned have can actually be met without Ultimate, or Enterprise.  With Pro you can use Group Policy, with either Home Premium or Pro you can also use Vistalizator:

http://www.froggie.sk/

1.  I tend to cycle with GPU's.. I used to promote Nvidia and then their drivers caused me one too many issues and I was back with ATI.  I've done this dance more than a few times throughout the years.    ATI cards, despite being on Adobe's list, often don't play well together if you mix and match different models together in the same system.  I struggled with this more than a few times.  It's good to know Nvidia is easier to work work.  The pendulum swings.. :)

2.  Nice tip, thank you.  Options are always nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up