Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to purchase a new Large Format Printer  (Read 8173 times)

artobest

Re: Looking to purchase a new Large Format Printer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:26 am »

Aha >>> ???
For real photos will there will be a noticeable gamuts & IQ different between HP z3200 & Canon 8300  ?
i mean if i print a high qualtiy photo in both printers at the same paper type will the custumer will clearly notice that canon IQ is better than hp ?

Rest assured, your customer will not notice any IQ differences. In real-world use, all the top three printers have very similar image quality, ie very, very good. The meaningful differences lie elsewhere - useability, image permanence, durability. Your Z may be a bit tricky and slow, but it has the built-in spectro and effortless handling of third-party papers. So it's swings and roundabouts. 

deanwork

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:29 pm »

I totally agree with that, the 3200 and the Canon are not that different in gamut. The 9900 is beyond both of these, but not is a way that would be a real advantage in day to day average photo work. If you are doing match proofing and pantone precision work the Epson would be the way to go though, when it comes to gamut, or if you are doing photo work on gloss media with absolutely screaming over the top exaggerated gamut the Epson is really impressive, I've seen it and laughted, and I couldn't do that with my printers...but I don't need to either. But I don't see much difference in color gamut between my HP and the new Canon.

john

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 02:38:29 am »

Canon 8300 - No Question

Do your research of coarse... but...

Cheaper to purchase than epson
Cheaper to run than epson(uses less ink for same output)

Yes but I did an audit of the ink use over the past year and 4 months and discovered that 2100 ml of ink was unaccounted for. Not sure if that's a fluke or not but I was more than a bit miffed about that.

More user serviceable parts (no waiting on a tech person)

Not really. Epson will sell you the heads. Aside from that they sell all the other consumables such as cutters, etc.

In terms of repair... AFTER the warranty expires Canon charges $1400 PER INCIDENT. Doesn't matter if they come out and find you had a setting wrong, $1400 bucks. Epson by comparison charges $175 for the initial visit and then $100 per hour. Most of the time Epson repairs are going to cost a lot less than Canon repairs. The extended warranties on the Epsons are also much more cost effective.

WAY more 3rd party media support handling.

MCT is nice... needs a bit of work interface wise but this is definitely a nice feature. A big pro on the Epson side though is the spindleless paper transport which is pretty slick.

Image quality is indeed fantastic on the x300 series but cost wise... initially it's cheaper but in the long run I think the total cost of ownership for the Epson will be less (the 700 ml ink tanks are a lot less $$$ as well).

Cheers, Joe

lighthunter

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:59 am »

Rest assured, your customer will not notice any IQ differences. In real-world use, all the top three printers have very similar image quality, ie very, very good. The meaningful differences lie elsewhere - useability, image permanence, durability. Your Z may be a bit tricky and slow, but it has the built-in spectro and effortless handling of third-party papers. So it's swings and roundabouts. 

Thanks alot .

deanwork

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:03 am »

The Canon has 700 ml tanks as well. The HP uses less ink than either of them but unfortunately have little 130 ml carts which is a drag. But then again the printer can easily be moved and set up by two people. They really have half the weight and bulk of the other two.

j
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up