Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 ink pads replacement & now belt replaced!  (Read 4977 times)

EvoM

Z3100 ink pads replacement & now belt replaced!
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »

Hi all,

I have the service manual but can't find the name of the ink pads at either end of the carriage.

I am having the belt replaced on my Z3100 44 and think it would be good time to change those (felt/sponge?) pads that catch the excess ink.
I would especially like to replace the left hand side pad (the one that generally have 'red' ink on it) and have seen someone mention a newer part that works better and avoids any ink leaking down onto the cogs underneath.

Can anyone help with what they are called, a HP part no. or reference page in the service manual?

cheers Evo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:48:26 am by EvoM »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re: Z3100 ink pads relacement
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:32:41 pm »

HP calls the capping station on the right of the printer the service station.  Not sure about the one on the left. 

This is the first I've heard about a new design for the pads on the left.  I had a large portion of the innards of my 44" Z3100 replaced about a year and a half ago while still under extended warranty and the parts looked identical to the ones that were replaced.  There was probably a pint or more of ink in the service station, judging by the weight differential between the old and new parts, and the pads on the left were pretty saturated, too.  Strangely, there is almost no ink on the left side still, and I do a lot of printing.  They are still mostly white. 
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Z3100 ink pads relacement
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:36:01 pm »

The pads just sit on top of the spittoon.  They will always look dirty.  Unless you print a LOT your spittoons will not be anywhere near full and need changing.  No need to change pads unless damaged.

EvoM

Re: Z3100 ink pads replacement
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:47 pm »

Thanks guys for the replies.

I don't necessarily want to replace the service station on the right but rather the foam or felt pads that the heads travel across at either end. I figure these should be easily replaced with fresh pads. Mine are full of ink (naturally) and from wiping them down occasionally, they are a bit depressed.

If someone know what these parts are call etc I'd be grateful as I can't order then unless I know what they are called.

Evo

kaelaria

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »

Once again, no need.  Nor is there ever a need to 'wipe them down' in the first place.  If you want new ones you need new spittoon assemblies.  And if you would actually look in them you will most likely find them near empty.

EvoM

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:40 pm »

Thanks kaelaria.

Found the page finally in the service manual (8-157).
It's the left spittoon, "foams" that I want to replace which is possible without much fuss.

So still need a part number but at least I know what it is now!

Yes, I am not interested in new spittoon assemblies.

thanks, Evo

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:33:25 am »

The pad on the left side is very easy to remove and rise out in the sink, if the build up gets bad! I've done that a couple of times in four years.

EvoM

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:49:11 pm »

thanks John, yes, thinking of trying just that.

cheers, Evo

namartinnz

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »

I've soaked them in water too. Real easy, printer running fine again.

EvoM

Re: Z3100 ink pads replacement & now belt replaced!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:47:54 am »

Okay, thought I'd report in after just having my belt replaced on the Z3100 44.

I got a local tech to do it as I didn't want to tackle it and although it took a while, he got it all back together in around 3 hours. Had a bit of ink clean up and bits of belt rubber from the old belt. It was still okay but I knew from the rubber it was past it's use by date!

Ink residue wasn't too bad however I did find black ink (matte?) in the right hand side fan! Which I hadn't heard of before. Gave it a clean as much as I could whilst the tech was busy. It still spun freely so fingers crossed!

Now the only hick-up was when we tried to run the diagnostics from the special start up menu. We had the dreaded 58:11 ESP error running the Carriage Diagnostic and we just couldn't get past it. The ESP returned the error we think when it tried to print something and came back with a Delta reading error (no ink yet?). Anyway after a lot of head scratching and not being able to get past this error, we restarted normally and I ran a paper calibration and then a head calibration; both were completed fine.

Now I am wondering should I go back and try running the diagnostics to see if the error comes up plus run the other diagnostics that we never did and the service manual says should be run?

We ran out of time tonight but I am hoping that the printer is fine and working within specs but what do you more learned guys recommend?

Cheers Evo

ps didn't need to replace the pads as they were fine!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:50:41 am by EvoM »

kaelaria

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:20 am »

ps didn't need to replace the pads as they were fine!

Coughcough ;)

Yes all tests need to be completed and passed or you won't be printing.  Make sure you have EVERYTHING properly reassembled and are testing normally, out of direct light with the lid closed.  That test is sensitive to light.

EvoM

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

thanks kaelaria, will try the tests this morning however it is 'printing' as normal without having passed anything!

Any idea about the error mentioned?

cheers Evo

kaelaria

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

Then it was only failing at the time you were specifically running the test.  Something changed.  If it's printing now it's not failing.

EvoM

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

Then it was only failing at the time you were specifically running the test.  Something changed.  If it's printing now it's not failing.

This is strange. We tried running the tests again and we still come up with errors.

Go back to the normal menu and send a print.....no problems!

We have a print we did 'before' changing the belt and now also have a new print after successfully aligning the prints heads, paper calibration & new profile .....and the two prints look identical!

I figure we would have got some error/s trying to do all that if there was indeed a problem, but no, from the normal printer menu everything seems to work as before.

The tech is trying to talk to someone at HP about all this. I am sure they will recommend replacing parts which I am naturally skeptical about!

Evo

deanwork

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:18 am »

Try to pull out the logic board, which is super easy, and reset it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up