Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolomites October 2011  (Read 29295 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Dolomites October 2011
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:47:53 pm »

I have just been in the Italian Dolomites again to run a photo workshop with a group of 10 photographers and thought that the readers of this forum might be interested to see some of the pictures from this great place. Not the western USA, but a great place which happens to be in Europe. The Dolomites are really special mountains. The following pictures were taken in the beginning of October in the Dolomites in the western part of the area including Alpe di Siusi, Santa Maddalena, Passo Sella, Passo Padon, Baita Segantini, etc. I will note in the following what lenses were used and all are taken with my trusty Canon 1Ds mkIII. All post processing was done in Adobe Lightroom 3.

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

Samyang 14 f/2.8

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II + 1.4x TC III

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II + 1.4x TC III

francois

Re: Dolomites October 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:39 am »

Wow... Hans, you make my mouth water. I must absolutely find a way to spend some time there and it's not far away from Switzerland.
Francois

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

When I went through there at the start of October (4th), there was some kind of stage thing happening next to the church at Santa Maddelena. Was that present when you were there?  It kind of spoilt the "traditional" Val Di Funes shot ...

To work around that, I went up to the church and shot from behind it (1st photo)...

... and from the end of October (28th) is a similar shot (#2), only framed lower to pull in the red from the tree in the foreground.

On both occasions I was only there for the afternoon, so I didn't have the luxury of returning for "better sky". Sigh.

p.s. is there a "LR profile" for exporting pictures to be "web ready"? in LR, they're ok on my screen, but I don't know if it is the squeeze for sRGB or the JPEG itself that is just really bad with the shadows when reviewing it on export. The shadows just disappear and turn into black :-(

When I was there I shot from two different positions. The high one shown in the post and the low one in front of the little church/chapel

patrick love

• My Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:13:46 am »

It's a lot of fun to see your images.  You should be proud.  I especially like the 2nd one.  Makes me want to go back. 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:32 am »

Thank you Hans and Dreed for the mouth-watering images!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:16:48 pm »

Hans, it's enough to make me think again about the beauty of nature, with or without the hand of Man... Beautiful photography that would have made you a millionaire in the heyday of Image Bank and Stone. Maybe you already are a millionaire, in which case, well done twice!

Rob C

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:07 am »

Hans,

#2 is magnificent.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:19 am »

Hans,

#2 is magnificent.

Yes indeed. If #2 weren't posted, I'd pick several of the others as very special. But #2 stands out in a pretty excellent crowd.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 09:05:02 am »

It's a real shame that there aren't more people shooting them and providing information about where/when for pictures because I think that it needs something like that to get people saying "I want to go there and see that" or "I want to go there and take a photograph like that."

A perfect recipe for original thinking, then...

Reminds me of the Kodak 'shoot from here' signs I saw in the States. Madre de Dios, what a flattener. Long may some things stay difficult to exploit and to ape!

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »

Yes,

But I may like #4 even more!

Great work!

Best regards
Erik

Hans,

#2 is magnificent.

Erik Kaffehr

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »

Yes indeed. If #2 weren't posted, I'd pick several of the others as very special. But #2 stands out in a pretty excellent crowd.

Yes. Inspirational, all of them.
Scott

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:09 pm »

Thanks everyone. I have just come back from Tuscany leading a new workshop there and Abruzzo just before that, so it has been a busy autumn :)

Although the Dolomites are really an amazing place, I love equally Abruzzo and Tuscany. Both are remarkable in that there are many more possibilities to look for the exact compositions where in the Dolomites one is often constrained by trees and roads where you can't stop etc. although getting high enough one can move more freely in the Dolomites as long as one does not fall off the cliffs ;)

Ok, a few more from the Dolomites....

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:09:52 am »

Three lovely shots, plus one that breaks the sequence; far better to dump that - it's just a technically excellent record shot, a Kodak moment.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:19:20 am by Rob C »

francois

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:57:17 am »

…Ok, a few more from the Dolomites....

Hans,
The first three shots are beautiful and very nice additions to your Dolomites collections. But the last one (B/W) is stunning, breathtaking. Those wind-swept ridges send chills down my spine. The B/W treatment is perfect here.
Good job and thanks for sharing your images.
Francois

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:56 am »

Regarding using chairlifts etc. the problem is that they are not open at sunrise and they close well before the good light at the end of the day, so they are pretty much ruled out for me. I drive around in the Dolomites and I trek from where I can go to by car. During workshops we as a group cannot go far from the cars since we typically will have people attending that are not capable of walking longer distances in the altitudes we are at. So that was basically what my comment was about. I agree there are amazing places that are well worth a trek.

The first two pictures are examples of such. It is a 30-40 minute walk up from Passo Fedaia to Passo Padon. There is a chair lift but it is not operational in the summer and (of course) not in the very early mornings when it is best from there. The last two if the first series were also shot from there. The one with the layers and colors of the sky was on the way up in a particular spot where the lines of the distant mountains are aligned in the way where you see the layers and the depth. The two pictures from the last batch of 4 the first was shot to the north from Passo Padon and the second was shot towards the south. The third with the couple was shot at the base of Drei Zinnen about 45-60 minutes trek from where you can drive up. The distant house is very small on the pictures which are downscaled by the LuLa forum from the original picture linked to. This is a pity since it does not represent the picture as intended. See it here http://hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com/p888991795/h17b7c54f#h17b7c54f
The last picture was taken to the left of Langkopfel from Passo Sella on the last day when snow had arrived the day before.

But I think the other mountain area that I like very much in Italy, Abruzzo, is vastly underestimated. It is a wonderful place to visit with a camera :)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 06:32:58 am »

The biggest problem I had whilst staying in Bolzano was that the hotel breakfast was good enough that I didn't want to miss out on it. If it had of been Motel 6 quality, I would have been less fussed, alas it was not. And who wants to start the day shooting on an empty stomach? :)

Well, I think this is one of the biggest problems for many shooters ;) They want to stay in bed and not get out early. My best shots are typically around one hour before and after sunrise and the last one hour in the afternoon before sunset in the Dolomites. When I run the workshops we leave the hotel around 4AM in the mornings without breakfast and come back around 8-9AM after the shoots. Often we have to drive 45-60 minutes to get to the right spot from the hotel.

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:07 am »

I really like the work. Nicely done, beautiful colors very nice moments.
Especially like no 4.
George

jalcocer

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »

wonderful wonderful shots

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:57:50 am »

Thanks very much for the feedback and comments :)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:31 pm »

It was a pleasure meeting you while in Copenhagen, I can’t wait to work together. The images shown here are amazing.  It will make a great PODAS event.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up