Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Fuji X-10 Review  (Read 2159 times)

MHMG

Re: Fuji X-10 Review
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

MR wrote: "Probably the most serious annoyance with the X-10 is the lack of any focus point confirmation in the optical viewfinder. For anyone that has used a Canon G12 or Nikon P7100 (or their predecessors) which also have optical windows as finders, you'll likely be scratching your heads and wondering what I'm fussed about. These type of cameras simply don't have this. It's not in their DNA."

When I was at the recent PPE show in NYC looking at the X-10 at the Fuji booth, this subject came up. A knowledgeable Fuji guy at the booth pointed out that there is a small focus confirmation light just to the right of the viewfinder, and that you can see it in your peripheral vision with a little practice. Yup, I tried it. It did take a little practice, but it works for me  :).  Not quite as nice as being located in the viewfinder, but you can get comfortable checking it without pulling your eye away from the viewfinder if you practice a little.

All in all, as much as the X-10 is a little gem and I wouldn't mind owning one, the image/print quality of the X-100 (i.e., Big prints from both the X-10 and X-100 were on display at the show) pulls me convincingly in the direction of the X-100.

cheers,
Mark

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:33:40 am »

But I assume that is just telling you that the lens is focussed on 'something'.  The problem is in knowing 'what' it is focussed on.  Of course that is the main limitation with these non-TTL viewfinders (other of course than Leica M9 or Fuji x100) especially if you like shooting with shallow depth of field.
Jim

douglasf13

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:49:09 am »

Yeah, while I understand the desire for an OVF in the style of an M9 or X100, I find it difficult to understand the desire for a non-TTL OVF without any reliable focus information over a good EVF.  I guess I can understand those that wish to use it for hyper focal shooting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up