Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A77 raw files - ETTR not applicable?  (Read 7017 times)

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: A77 raw files - ETTR not applicable?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:54 am »

Curious as to why you think Sony is perhaps "stupid" for doing what it seems all manufacturers are doing.
Note that I didn't strictly use that term ;), but yes, ignoring completely the issue of exposing to the right in 2011 seems like... questionable to me. Are marketers afraid of having to teach something to their customers?
That concerns Sony or any other manufacturer - even if Olympus has at least a good way to expose the L component of jpegs to the right (close, and already very practical in the field, but no cigar).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

allegretto

Re: A77 raw files - ETTR not applicable?
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »

Note that I didn't strictly use that term ;), but yes, ignoring completely the issue of exposing to the right in 2011 seems like... questionable to me. Are marketers afraid of having to teach something to their customers?
That concerns Sony or any other manufacturer - even if Olympus has at least a good way to expose the L component of jpegs to the right (close, and already very practical in the field, but no cigar).

I didn't mean you, I meant Timberwolf in that linked thread.

I understand what you are asking for and it makes sense. Truth is, I thought the histogram was for RAW if I am shooting in the RAW mode. Guess I took it for granted that it would be of what I'm doing. Coming from a strong Science background though NOT and EE I understand the issues once explained. In fact, a little disappointed in myself that I hadn't thought out more about the differences between emulsion and electrons.  An indicator that doesn't indicate the info you need can be worse than useless, but if it allows at least "measured inferences" (my euphamy for "educated guess") it is of some, if little use. Just have to know its weaknesses.

Perhaps the best way to do it is to get to know your camera and make incremental changes till you can consistently hit the sweet spot. But I think someone already suggested that... ;)

Does anyone know why that custom is perpetuated? I'm surprised it goes on... even my beloved Leica??? OMG... we are in the Last of Days...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up