Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is Albert Watsons Phase one taped to his Hassy ?...  (Read 6029 times)

julienlanoo

Why is Albert Watsons Phase one taped to his Hassy ?...
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:03:17 am »

Hi i was googling around for Albert Watson's work. And came on a video blog on youtube called: "On the road with Masters of Photography, Albert Watson and our Director of Malts Ken " , I remarked on ANY, video his digiback is taped onto the hassy... With eighter duck tape, or other tape...

Strange.. Any idea why...?

greets
ju

TH_Alpa

Re: Why is Albert Watsons Phase one taped to his Hassy ?...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »

Ju,

One reason could be his adapter not being tight enough and the whole being loose. This happens more than often. You can imagine the focus precision in such a case.

Best
Thierry

Hi i was googling around for Albert Watson's work. And came on a video blog on youtube called: "On the road with Masters of Photography, Albert Watson and our Director of Malts Ken " , I remarked on ANY, video his digiback is taped onto the hassy... With eighter duck tape, or other tape...

Strange.. Any idea why...?

greets
ju

lance_schad

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

Most likely  to cover the release button for when the P+ V series back is in the vertical position.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

julienlanoo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »

Aha, i wondered.

but any reason is plausible, ...

but,; doesn't the back lock ? with a safety? my phase one does this .. :p:p

mhm, i hesitated, to work with Hassy V instead of a AFD 3 from mamiya, ... Just because it's SOOO beautiful :)

lance_schad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

When in the horizontal position the P+ series back has a silver button that is not flush and there is a slide lock next to it , but when it is rotated to the portrait position, there is a flush button, that does not have a lock. It is difficult to disengage since it is flush.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:08 am »

"Why is Albert Watson's Phase One taped to his Hassy"

Who says that Hasselblad is a closed system?   ;)

Mark

julienlanoo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

What?

He works with a V series, not a H :) :p

ctz

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »

WTG, Mark!

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »

If he is on a V, perhaps he's just trying to shoot vertically!   :D
Eduardo

What?

He works with a V series, not a H :) :p

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

+1 Mark : )
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 01:40:32 am »

Well, ever since I picked up my H1 from a table and then experienced the terror of seeing my digital back go flying through the air a onto a concrete floor, I have been taping my back to the camera. I did not touch the little lever on the Hassie at all when this happened. I think the acceleration and torque of picking up the camera and moving it to my eye was enough to pry the DB loose. It's far from a bombproof connection and all it takes is hitting that lever and the DB is on the floor. Gaffer's tape may not look pretty, but it lets me rest easy.

John

ondebanks

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »

Well, ever since I picked up my H1 from a table and then experienced the terror of seeing my digital back go flying through the air a onto a concrete floor, I have been taping my back to the camera. I did not touch the little lever on the Hassie at all when this happened. I think the acceleration and torque of picking up the camera and moving it to my eye was enough to pry the DB loose. It's far from a bombproof connection and all it takes is hitting that lever and the DB is on the floor. Gaffer's tape may not look pretty, but it lets me rest easy.

John

Hmm. This seems to be a flaw with the Hasselblad H latch design. My Kodak DCS645M could no more fall off my Mamiya 645AFD; the release lever is on the back itself, and it takes a very deliberate, quite difficult action to simultaneously depress the recessed, highly sprung lever and twist it clockwise. This just won't happen in casual handling of the camera. The DCS user manual says that Contax version is the same, but for the Hasselblad H version, "the Release handle is on the camera body".

So in terms of security of fitting, the back makers are sometimes at the mercy of the body makers...

Ray

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »

Embarrassing to admit, but I actually had a 12exp. Hassy back fall off a 500C... I wasn't much given to changing backs, though I had a couple, and usually the back stayed put and I changed film by taking out the carriage. If you work alone, do a lot of shots in a session, then you'd need a hell of a lot of pre-loaded backs to get any advantage. Or rent an assistant, which I'd have hated to have hanging around at those creative moments. Almost as bad as a loose client!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up