Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacked GH2  (Read 59895 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Hacked GH2
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 08:03:54 am »

I've hacked it at 100mb/s !

Is 100mb/s a stable hack these days?

tho_mas

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 08:04:46 am »

I've hacked it at 100mb/s !

Footage is simply amazing. Arri Alexa like.
Hi Fred,

which 100Mbit/s patch did you use?
Or did you create one by yourself?

High bitrate alone doesn't cut it. Appropriate Videobuffer and Quantization settings will improve IQ.

As you live in PAL land you also have to be aware that the GOP settings for 24p and 1080i50 are combined - so when you change the GOP length for 24p this will also affect 1080i50.

This is why I use 2 patches:

- one 166Mbit/s patch, Intra Frame only (GOP=1). I use this one for 24p (24H) only.
Actually the patch also works for 50i, sort of... it's 25p PsF in a 50i wrapper. But the codec doesn't hold up well - lots of artefacts may show up in high detailed scenes. However 24p/24H is really georgeous!
It's the "Dritwood Seaquake" patch (class 10 cards required): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/25865#Comment_25865
The patch is to be used in PTools v3.63d

- the second patch is my "general" patch that works for both 24p and 1080i50.
66Mbit/s, GOP12, for 24p ("24H") and 32Mbits, GOP 12, for 1080i50 ("FSH").
It's based on the "cbrandin 66M AQ2" patch: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/16759#Comment_16759 ...
but modified for better 50i performance; also for better 24p quality as I set the Auto Quantizer from 2 to 3 (some people reported crashes with AQ set to 3 ... but by now it never happened to me. If AQ3 freezes your camera simply set AQ back to 2 and the patch will work fine).
You'll find my modified patch attached. It is to be used in PTools v3.62d

By now I didn't mess around with 720p settings ... so I don't know how 720p performs with these patches.

Re Banding:
banding also shows up at ISO 160. It doesn't show up at ISO200.
see here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?270722-Iso-160
http://www.campcomet.com/archives/797

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:14:21 am by tho_mas »

fredjeang

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10:52 am »

I use the Driftwood 'AQUAMOTION' version 2

Totally stable on my camera with class 10 Extreme 30MB/sec (so far)

About isos 160, yeah absolutly.  It seems (not sure about that) that the GH2 "native" iso is 640.

Here are the specs of the Driftwood

Version increment=1
 30min limit removal=Checked
 Maximum ISO limit removal=Checked
 PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
 Video Bitrate 24H=100000000
 Video Bitrate 24L=88000000
 Video Bitrate FSH/SH=68000000
 Video Bitrate FH/H=56000000
 Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=2 - More to details
 Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=2 - More to details
 720p50 GOP Size=1
 720p60 GOP Size=3
 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
 1080i60 GOP Size=1
 Encoder setting 1 720p=2
 Encoder setting 2 720p=1
 Encoder setting 3 720p=2
 Encoder setting 4 720p=4
 Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
 Encoder setting 2 1080p=1
 Encoder setting 3 1080p=2
 Encoder setting 4 1080p=4
 Encoder setting 2 1080i=1
 Encoder setting 3 1080i=2
 Encoder setting 4 1080i=4
 Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
 1080p24 Frame Limit=3688808
 60fps Frame Limit=1088808
 50fps Frame Limit=1308088

I'm not really hot to go to the 166 patch because of file-size and to my eyes, the increment in quality compared to the 100 is marginal while the file-size increment is not.

Best regards.

Anyway, we are pushing an already capable camera that can truly do wonders, but the banding issue is not very serious from Panasonic and I don't want to do more "researches and testings" on a camera that is not in the end a fully professional tool.
Although it can be perfectly used to create high-end imagery and certainly much better IMO than the 5D2 - 7D.

Those little cams like the GH2, the Nex are great but in the end consumer products.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:58:22 pm by fredjeang »

tho_mas

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 09:45:42 am »

I use the Driftwood 'AQUAMOTION' version 2

Totally stable on my camera with class 10 Extreme 30MB/sec (so far)
good to hear! For some reason "Aquamotion" doesn't work as supposed to on my camera (same cards as yours). I consistently get Codec overflow...
Only "SeAQuake" works for me (again in 24p/24H mode only). Unfortunately file size is huge, true... but at least the patch works on my kit.

fredjeang

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:32 am »

Well, it seems that there are not 2 similar GH2s...users report very different experiences with the same hacks, settings and SD cards. It doesn't make sense, there should be a rational explaination for those differences from an engineer point.
As our forum engineers seem to be much more busy by (mega)pixel peeping and charts, I doubt we will ever have a sartisfactory explaination from there.

Maybe something as silly as this: I never used any Pana lens on my unit, no elec contacts, just manual primes and only use genuine battery and hacked audio is not been pushed. Maybe it has an impact but that's not in my knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:00:01 pm by fredjeang »

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 10:52:34 pm »

Just curious, what lenses do you use on the GH2?
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

fredjeang

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:41 am »

Many sort of different lenses: Leica M, Takumars, Canons (basically FD mount that I like), Zeiss, and even a small collection of former USSR lenses (some of them are simply "crap", others perform surprisingly very well).
Then I have some more oscur and exotic vintage lenses (generally collectables in M39 mount)
and C mount lenses, Pentax, Angénieux etc... (the widest C mount lenses have to be used with the crop mode, otherwise you vignete)
I'm currently waiting for a Pentax 1.2 in C mount.

I do not use zooms with the GH2. Generally I do not shoot really wide. I'd say that 80% is, transfered to 35mm, from 70 to 150-200.
The widest I'm using is 35mm equivalent. I found a small cage from India, a shop in Bombay if I remember well, that gives me good stability with the focals I'm working with but without sacrifising the compactness of the Gh2, wich I wanted to keep, the cage being small (very just for a Canon).

I refuse to mount big and heavy glasses on this camera, it looks ridiculous and it's not its strengh. My configuration, using a military image, would be light and maneuverable.

The only Pana lens that I'd buy would be the 20mm pancake.

I stopped to use follow-focus and built a "special" configuration on the cage that gives me real good manual control. Since I stopped to use follow focus, my focussing technique has improved by 10. I use 7 inches monitors that balance the weight.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:40:52 am by fredjeang »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 09:12:38 am »

Fred, would you post a photo or two of your GH2 setup?

Bonne Année!

Chris

fredjeang

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 11:54:09 am »

Sure.

This is the smallest cage I found that was still 15mm roads able to receive standards shoulder mount and matte box if needed.

In fact, the way I configurated it, a 5D won't fit in it.

Those pictures are my favorite configuration for the GH2. I didn't have any with this cage so when you asked I took quick pics this evening in my bathroom with the phone and from the mirror.

in fact this is a small set-up. Think that I'm about as tall as Prince and have small hands so it would give you an idea of the size.

The secret of this configuration resides in B. I handle the cage with my right hand from there and not from the normal handlers.
The rods have shoulder mount (any standard one). There is in fact just one axis.
With the left hand, I use the rods as a support and can focus and aperture control with 2 fingers as you see in the pics. So the camera is placed on purpose very much in front of the cage. If I have to use a mattebox, there is still room for my fingers, it doesn't change anything. That way I can focus from about 1m50 to infinity with just one finger and keep precision and smoothness.
It's not orthodox at all, but bloody efficient. Way faster than with the follow focus and the 7" screen is big enough for accurate focussing. I've been learning never look anymore to the subject directly but only the screen.
It takes a while to be efficient at it but when you got it, you got it.
This set-up is also very stable, no shakes because it uses just one axis (the 2 rods from shoulder to hands)
The less devices and gadgets screwed and added, the better I feel.

Best regards and bonne année too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:19:25 pm by fredjeang »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:26 pm »

Mille fois merci - that is extremely useful!

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 04:06:04 pm »

i just installed the hack fred is recommending and also i found an hdmi konverter from ebay/china which gives out the hdmi signal during film recording. the quality of the hack- files is incredible good!! just wanted to comment this here ..
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Fred. That's a cool setup - especially because it's from the city I'm living in.

Since you already have the best lenses, the best hdslr and the best mount, I wish you more higher paying jobs and lots of money in 2012. And if the world ends, you can shoot it with the best setup, too!

Happy New Year!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

tho_mas

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 08:35:11 am »

Have you seen Phil Bloom's "christmas shootout"? … GH2, C300, AF100, NEX5, 5Dmk2, 7D, F3 etc. …
Video:
blog: http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/28/christmas-shootout/

On the GH2 the Driftwood's "Quantum Beta-V5" hack was used.
I've tested the patch. It's 160Mbit/s (Intra). Huge filesize but IQ is phenomenal. Especially at somewhat higher ISOs as there is absolutely no "smearing" of noise… it's just, well, "noise". And infact gives a kind of film-like grain-look.

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

This set-up is also very stable, no shakes because it uses just one axis (the 2 rods from shoulder to hands)

Fred,

No disrespect, but just looking at that rig gives me a kink in my neck.

At minimum it's crying out for an external EVF.

Regards,
B

fredjeang

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:36 pm »

Bern,

You're welcome to express your valid opinions.

But let me clear something.

This particular set-up is not a mistake, it is on purpose.

Regards.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:37:25 pm by fredjeang »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »

Fred,

I also have been through too many accessories, particularly rigs, & monitors. Probably enough to finance a pair of Scarlets. Finding a personal setup that works is hard for any motion camera, especially dSLRs.

Glad to hear you have an EVF on order. I imagine you'll love it. The additional contact point greatly steadies the camera, & well...all cameras should have viewfinders, especially handheld.

Best,
Bern

fredjeang

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »

I agree Bern. I edited my previous answer because it was badly written (I'm quitting smoking and it costs me horrors to concentrate and prety much in a bad mood) to a more resumed and appropriate text that transmits my point.

About monitors, started with a 5" Marshall on the 5D but this chinese one is so much better for focussing accuracy, hdmi out too wich is important for me, battery last long but totally unreliable for WB.

To be honest, the EVF (Zacuto) is just because I want more flexibility but I quite like to have my head-eyes away from a device. Before no, but now for some reasons
I like more a different approach.

Anyway, in fact you get use of any set and with practise you can become really efficient and nothing is definitive. For ex I've been using handlers but I found one day by accident (I forgot them) this configuration I had to improvised and it
worked so much better. So I adopted it immediatly.
Same with follow focus. It worked brilliantly with an assistant, and make sure the assistant knows how to pull focus...and that's another story. But in a one man configuration, I don't like it (at the condition to use still camera lenses).

In fact, the more I am into it, the less I'm interested or attracted in heavy cine-video gear, lenses included. I want to "be" the reconnaissance squadron, not the big heavy battleship.

Same with steadyness. Before I was crazy and maniac about it, but now I'm starting to integrate much more voluntary shakes and defocussed (more amateur approach if you wish) because we did many many testings and even in high-end fashion, the conclusions were clear.
Each time we planned and took all the orthodox paths with heavy and expensive equipment, it lacked each time of liveliness and rythm. Unless I'd do a campaign for a swiss watch brand.
The funny thing, is that the experienced video pros were all agree on that, they saw the same things, but they are unable to abandon their heavy configurations. It cost them horrors. As I come from a different world, it doesn't cost me anything, I don't have habits to fullfill nor 20 of experience to justify.

I tend to learn a lot and respect the old fox of this industry, but I've also been learning not to listen to them.

But all set-ups have their place and their application range.

All my best too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:21:15 pm by fredjeang »

Streetshooter

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »

OK, I know this might be a silly question but is it really worth hacking a new GH2. Are the differences that great, and also is the hack problem free when shooting.

Pete

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

The GH2 is still a beta project, & currently questionable whether worth it, or not.

The image quality can be dramatically improved, but there are numerous compatibility issues. Some of the lower bitrate hacks are completely stable in all circumstances, & with all lenses.

I had mine at a modest 32 bit, but recently installed Panasonic's firmware update which wiped it off.

When the new hack becomes available I'll probably retry, but it will require very time consuming re-tests.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:21:26 pm by Bern Caughey »

fredjeang

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:42 pm »

OK, I know this might be a silly question but is it really worth hacking a new GH2. Are the differences that great, and also is the hack problem free when shooting.

Pete
It's not a silly question at all.

It is worth if you need high quality files and the differences are real. Check the Bloom's link in this thread. Resolution is astonishing.

Before the hack, I mounted expensive lenses on it and couldn't really find the expected quality, with the hack yes.

Higher isos is grain, film grain like and not those undefine artefacts.

DR is a bit better (more room before clipping highlight).

Details are superb. 

Problem? sd cards. We are limited to the Scandisk extreme class 10 and on the highest hacks time recording is unstable. Files are huge so storage is more expensive.

There are some absolutly stable hacks, the unstable ones are the highest because of the SD limitations.

So when this hack makes sense? well, the GH2 for it's size can be usefull to shoot in narrow spaces etc...it could be integrated to a pro set and the delivered files would meet the standards of other much more expensive cameras. For a pro on a budget also, it would allow to get the best possible files, for the indy filmaker it gives access to a quality impossible without putting much more mediums.
The post prod stage is better because there are more infos to real with, files stand still better, handle more severe grading etc etc...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up