Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook and LuLa  (Read 7474 times)

dreed

Facebook and LuLa
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:27:55 am »

I think the correct way to do facebook for LuLa would be as a "product" page, similar to other brands.

People would "Like" the page rather than "Friend" it.

That way you only have to worry about millions of adoring fans rather than millions of "friends".

How many would you likely have?

Wikileaks, now a household name, has ~1.9 million and is one of the most populous that I'm aware of.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Facebook and LuLa
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:18:44 am »

U must have missed the memo... why does Lula need a FB page?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:56 am »

Hi,

I guess the OP feels that Lula needs a lot of friends who like him...

Best regards
Erik

U must have missed the memo... why does Lula need a FB page?
Erik Kaffehr

svein

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:16:33 am »

I guess the OP feels that Lula needs a lot of friends who like him...

I assume the OP made a comment to the "LuLa on Twitter" news on front page. Personally I'd probably do a like on a LuLa FB page, but don't bother with Twitter. I understand though that having a presence on all social media would be timeconsuming.

Thom Hogan do Google+ where you (like FB) can follow without being a friend and IMO that's more useful than twitter.

dreed

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:56:59 am »

I assume the OP made a comment to the "LuLa on Twitter" news on front page.

Correct.

Personally I'd probably do a like on a LuLa FB page, but don't bother with Twitter.

I'm in the same boat. Twitter is the social media thing that I don't use because of how it is used: to tell everyone about all the little useless things you are doing, like what you had for breakfast, what the cat/dog just did, etc.

I understand though that having a presence on all social media would be timeconsuming.

And therefore costly.

Thom Hogan do Google+ where you (like FB) can follow without being a friend and IMO that's more useful than twitter.

I'm not sure what I think of Thom's G+ feed yet (I've looked at it...) except to say that G+'s rules about it being for people could prove to be an obstacle for LuLa.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:07:00 am »

And therefore costly..
Not really. A few services make your post go to both simultaneously - eg I just type the hash tag #fb to make a tweet go on Facebook too.

I don't like Facebook, but it's becoming hard for businesses to avoid, and I'm sure some find it worthwhile. Like all such things, it's a case of cutting through the hype and second-hand knowledge.

John

dreed

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:59:11 pm »

Not really. A few services make your post go to both simultaneously - eg I just type the hash tag #fb to make a tweet go on Facebook too.

Yup... I have many facebook friends that "cross post" using this technique.

I don't like Facebook, but it's becoming hard for businesses to avoid, and I'm sure some find it worthwhile. Like all such things, it's a case of cutting through the hype and second-hand knowledge.

The company that manufacturers the BluRay player that I bought, Oppo, has a page on facebook and they have someone from customer service respond to various comments, questions, etc, that people post on the company's facebook page. Response from Oppo isn't immediate, more like it is part of someone's daily job to check it every so often. The result? Customers love them! I don't know what their management thinks of their facebook presence, but judging from the consumer response, it seems to be a huge success. I'd be very curious to know how successful this is in terms of building brand loyalty.

I was going to not name names, for fear of plugging the brand, but hopefully providing the name will allow you/others to check out their page on facebook as a first hand example of what I consider to be how to use facebook successfully as a company. Now whether LuLa has as much to gain because it already has these forums is good question.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:28:35 pm »

One big advantage (or disadvantage) of Facebook is the viral marketing effect which can dramatically expand the readership of a site.  IMO there are not enough dentists, bank managers, investment managers, doctors, oh and by the way photographers accessing the site.  Only 1.5m?  How many digital SLR cameras have Canon and Nikon sold?  Seems to me that if Lula was on Facebook Michael might have 15m new friends. ;D  Way to go Michael!  LOL
David Watson ARPS

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 02:38:22 am »

FB would open LuLa to a MUCH larger audience.  Forums had their day but none of them can begin to compete with the realtime eyeballs of FB.  It's a very different crowd, one with huge membership numbers worldwide.  Any entity looking to really use FB though needs to understand the differences.  I would say it's very safe to guess that most frequent posters here are older and are not avid, if at all, FB users.  It's very much a generational and conceptual gap.  I struggle with it greatly on my other business doing cigar reviews.  The types of people that frequent cigar lounges and enjoy live events are rarely even on the internet.  They will use email and that's about it.  The viewers that subscribe to my YouTube channel are much younger, buy online and are of a completely different mindset about the whole topic.  But the younger crowd has numbers, for sure.

michael

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:41 am »

Yes, but...

If one is looking for numbers, then no doubt Facebook is the place to be.

But then you get all of the wankers, malcontents, and dumbos.

No, thanks. I'd rather deal with mature, intelligent people who are passionate about photography than the bitchers, moaners and know-it-alls that inhabit unmoderated sites.

Michael

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:59:24 am »

Hi Michael

Well said Michael but is the converse true?  i.e. no one on this site is a wanker, malcontent or dumbo?

If that is indeed the case you sure have a valuable and unique database. LOL  :D :D
David Watson ARPS

michael

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:55:58 am »

David,

A logical fallacy. Of course they are here as well. They're EVERYWHERE.

We just have less of them.  :)

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:33 am »

... We just have less of them.  :)

In the silent majority... probably true. Among the active ones... hmmm... not so sure ;)

J/k

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »

100% true Michael that is the big trade off.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »

I'm only a VERY occasional user of FB, and mostly to read what my distant family members are up to, although I do 'like' a few business pages as well.  I do use Twitter a lot, and more and more I'm using G+ as well as a way to connect with other photographers.  I like the fact that G+, like Twitter does not require a 1:1 relationship; I receive information from those whom I'm interested in and anyone who wants to can subscribe to what I post.  I also like G+ 'Circles' idea - I have a circle for Photographers and a separate one for member of my local Photography Meetup Group.  One can post to 'Public', to specific Circles or even to specific individuals.  I've noticed FB has co-opted some of these ideas as well.  The G+ Huddles (group video conferencing) can also be fun.

Should LuLa get onto G+?  It's moved beyond personal accounts now and opened up to businesses.  It doesn't have the 140-character restriction of Twitter, and there's a place for posting images and such, but much of this is covered through the 'What's New' page.  Comments are covered through the forums here.  It's another way of 'advertising' the site, and from my (somewhat limited) experience there's been very little of the 'complaining' type.  One can also block users and lock comments for a particular post.  People who are on Google+ include Joe McNally, John Paul Caponigro, Scott Kelby, RC Concepcion, Tom Hogarty and Bryan O'Neil Hughes, to name a few.  In their own way, Google is working to amalgamate all of a user's experience under one banner - GMail/Contacts/Calendar/etc, Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google Documents, YouTube, Google+, etc.  They may be shooting themselves in the foot a little in that some new web ideas they have ONLY work on Chrome, for example (remind you of a particular European camera manufacturer?)

Mike.
P.S.  There's a free G+ name shortener at gplus.to - mine is http://gplus.to/wolfnowl  You can also find me at @wolfnowl on Twitter
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:28:50 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Ray

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:59:11 am »

Yes, but...

No, thanks. I'd rather deal with mature, intelligent people who are passionate about photography than the bitchers, moaners and know-it-alls that inhabit unmoderated sites.

Michael

I agree with you completley, Michael. Is this perhaps one of the few occasions we agree?  ;D

AFairley

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

Yes, but...

Michael

Absolutely!  There are plenty of other sites for the wankers to hang out.

michael

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:36 pm »

Did I? I don't recall.

Doesn't sound like me though. I usually do my best writing after the 4th glass of wine.

M

K.C.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:00 pm »

Ah yes, the 'social marketing' connundrum. It's only recently that you've begun to hear anyone speak of the actual cost of social marketing.

It's exceedingly high, with a limited return for the time invested.

The idea that was stolen and turned into FB has been exploited to great profit with little else in mind. Can't wait to see how they take all the demographics garnered and sell them next.

Hey any thoughts of a 'myspace' for LL ?

No wait, that's so 3 years ago. What could I have been thinking.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:27 am »

Where's the 'like' button  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up