Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APC SC1000 uninterruptible power supply  (Read 2681 times)

Mark F

APC SC1000 uninterruptible power supply
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with this model? It supports 600 watts which should be enough for my 24" iMac, external drives (2) and usb hub.

How about models by the Tripp-Lite company?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:40:58 pm by Mark F »
Mark

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: APC SC1000 uninterruptible power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:59 pm »

We like CyberPower UPS' - they are generally less expensive than APC and have been trouble free from our experience. Their better 1000VA (600W) unit lists for 170, part number CP1000PFCLCD. We've had nothing but trouble with TrippLite and won't sell them. The CyberPower should be recognized by your iMac, too.

Tony

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

Thanks Tony. For me the chief selling point of the TrippLite is the software that is advertised to shut down an unattended the system automatically. Without this a UPS will not help if the power shuts off during the night. Does the CyberPower also have this software for the Mac?
Mark

degrub

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

you might call the company about the model you are looking at. i have seen reports of issues with some of the cheaper units not switching fast enough / maintaining voltage and the blip corrupting drives. This was a server application so it may not fit your case.

Frank

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:52 pm »

Does the CyberPower also have this software for the Mac?
From our experience, no software is required (at least for APC's, TrippLites and Cyberpowers that we've used) - you just plug in the provided USB cable to connect the Mac and the UPS and the Mac will recognize the UPS. In the Energy Saver System Preference (I believe), and you can set stuff like how quickly to shut down the computer after a power outage, etc. But, you don't get the full range of information that you would get on a PC with the manufacturer's software installed - like load percentage, approximate run time remaining, a history of power events, etc.

Tony

dmerger

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:31 am »

I'm running my PC off of my CyberPower as I type.  I've had my CyberPower for a few years and it works exactly as intended.  I live in a rural area with a LOT of power outages, usually just flickers, but sometimes, like now, complete loss of power. 
Dean Erger
Pages: [1]   Go Up