Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony NEX 5N, E-mount lenses and IQ issues.  (Read 1526 times)

lcastric@gmail.com

Sony NEX 5N, E-mount lenses and IQ issues.
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:02:32 pm »

I've been shooting the 5N with the kit lens and the fancy 18-200mm e-mount lens. I'm having a few issues
others may have experienced, and found solutions for. I have used the Canon 5D and EF lenses extensively and
am looking for a more compact/lighter system.

1. Over saturated color, especially orange/red.
2. White balance errors, even in optimum sunny conditions at AWB, sunny, and custom (shooting white card in sunlight).
3. Focus errors, especially at 200mm handheld compared to a canon 5D/ 2.8 70-200 EF stabilized lens.
4. It seems more difficult to get good results editing raw landscape files in Photoshop in terms of hue, saturation and
transitions.
Thanks, Lincoln C.

allegretto

Re: Sony NEX 5N, E-mount lenses and IQ issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:03:11 pm »

Hmmm, well I have an A77 and my NEX-7 is on order. Have not used an NEX-5n but know "Sony Color" now. FWIW, I come from a Canon (1Ds III and L-lenses) and agree the balance is very different. In fact, the overwhelming Greens and Cyans in Canon color (to my eye) is really why I left the marque. It seemed a bit of a problem for a while but when I got into Leicas the casting was intolerable. It was to the point where I could tell the Canons from the thumbnails in LR on the smallest setting and no amount of mixology on my part seemed to fix it well enough.

But to each their own. Point was that I agree the Sony is definitely more Red/Orange/Yellow than Canon by a good amount. OTOH, by comparison the Leica images are positively dripping with saturation of reds and greens especially. Almost Technicolor to my eye (again, your impressions may vary). Makes for eye-popping pictures, but a bit surreal to me. Whatever, that's why I like different cameras, it's fun to play around

Seems like LR may help you some, but you have to play around. My learning curve has been challenging since some controls have a different effect than I expect and once you combine them... well just take your time

The focus thing... well 200mm is a lot to hand hold, even when it's small. Try a tripod before you blame the lens, but in any case I would not expect it to resolve as a 70-200L would

Pages: [1]   Go Up